Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 21/22 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, models can get some general features right, but still suck. Even the more pessimistic models didn't show that type of cutoff. Its always a "risk" with the big banding...but you wouldn't forecast that based on what we were seeing on the models.

Typically you want to see a really strong cutoff on qpf and also a high to our north (versus more northwest)...we saw that signature in the Dec '09 storm, to our south near NYC in the Feb 5-6, 2010 storm, and likely storms such as Blizz '96, and PDI.

It would have been nice for models to give us a better clue on that, since you only have so much to work with. There's a reaosn not one single meteorlogist or hobbyist predicted 1-2" for Wilmington to ORH. :lol: With the benefit of hindsight, its a bit easier, but I don't think anyone can say that was identifiable yesterday morning before the storm.

You guys do the best you can given the tools and guidance. Whenever people b**ch abouut mets, I always defend you.

Same. I thought he was in s Weymouth.

Like 2 miles from what would be considered that. There isn't a geographical delineation per se...just subjective.  The old naval base is about 3.8 miles or so to my south. I'm just NW of the classic OES stuff..but sometimes like in early Jan it works out. I thought I mentioned that some time ago, but perhaps not. The totals to my southeast will better mine by 4-6" or so.

11" was total here with a board clearing in the middle at about 7:00pm last night.

Stuff has really compacted though.  Good thing I didn't just take one measurement in the morning.

Snow blower throwing that stuff with ease like Dick Sherman does breaking up pass plays.

Yeah I noticed that. I felt like it was compacting as it was falling...that was the fluffiest snow I've ever seen. Perhaps tied with 2/7/03.

And eventually we will get the shot at a true blue mega blizzard IMO. 

Guys lost in all this is it's like 15 degrees and raging again (or colder) for a lot of us last night and today.   We will remember this winter for the cold and oscillations but also how abrupt the changes are.

Anyway, S+ right now best of the storm.

wow is that an awesome pic!   3"hour awesomisity.  You must be in that band I can see on the south shore.  And you will retain this probably a couple weeks and maybe build on it.

I don't think anyone will catch Scooter's area for total snowfall this winter..not even ORH..He's got like a 24 inch lead lol

ORH is around 38-39" and Scooter is around 53-54"?

That can be wiped out pretty quick in a couple late season events. Regardless though, the max snowfall anomaly is def going to be that south shore area just to the south of BOS.

Finished with 11 inches. I was on the edge of that band that was hitting northern Rhode Island up to Attleboro and foxboro. Obviously with the light variety of the snow. It's compacting quite a bit.

The 1 foot mark was elusive yet again, but still a nice snow event.

Well I said 10" was doable.  That band was just a hair N and E of you by a few miles.  Your 11" though will be pretty good comparatively.

ORH is around 38-39" and Scooter is around 53-54"?

That can be wiped out pretty quick in a couple late season events. Regardless though, the max snowfall anomaly is def going to be that south shore area just to the south of BOS.

I would be surprised if you didn't catch up. It's ORH after all lol.

I measured 9.5" late last night in Stamford as the wind started compacting the fluff. They had about 14" at my old stomping grounds in Central NJ. The 2nd 10" storm of the season for them and staggering 9th since March 2009 (Jan 11th, 2011 is a couple tenths shy of making it 10)

I'm not sure where Scott's 54" stacks up in terms of snow anomalies to date, but the 35" they have at my parent's spot and totals down to Philly have to be the ground zero in % snwofall anomaly. (They only average 25" a season).

All indications are that KSNOW at my house got a Foot. And I missed this. It's 7am in LA and I'm reading everything here. Talked to neighbors.

YES I've seen a picture of over 18" meaning EASILY 20" Storm Total. In the South Weymouth area.

OH How I want to drive around and see snow amounts go from 4 to 18 back to 4 in miles! SOMEONE go do that today! Please.

All indications are that KSNOW at my house got a Foot. And I missed this. It's 7am in LA and I'm reading everything here. Talked to neighbors.

YES I've seen a picture of over 18" meaning EASILY 20" Storm Total. In the South Weymouth area.

OH How I want to drive around and see snow amounts go from 4 to 18 back to 4 in miles! SOMEONE go do that today! Please.

:weenie:

PLYMOUTH COUNTY...
   HANOVER               18.0   646 AM  1/22  GENERAL PUBLIC
   NORWELL               17.8   609 AM  1/22  HAM RADIO
   ROCKLAND              15.0   605 AM  1/22  SPOTTER
   BROCKTON              14.6   714 AM  1/22  HAM RADIO
   3 WNW KINGSTON        13.2   600 AM  1/22  COCORAHS
   KINGSTON              13.2   615 AM  1/22  TRAINED SPOTTER
   HALIFAX               11.3   530 AM  1/22  NONE
   DUXBURY               11.0   529 AM  1/22  HAM RADIO
   2 WNW EAST BRIDGEWAT   9.5   700 AM  1/22  COCORAHS
   MATTAPOISETT           8.5   557 AM  1/22  BROADCAST MEDIA

I will be shooting down to norwell this afternoon for sure

Archived