• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21/22 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

290 year old roof FTL.  Heat escapes out of this place like you wouldn't believe.  Worst move ever coming into this place.

We had finished off half of the attic for additional--unheated--living space  (leaving the other half for storage).  In doing so, we used spray-foam for the ceiling/roof. 

It's expensive, but sure beats relying on the decking and slate for insulation and allowed us to maintain the same interior lines.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the snowy owl irruption has more to do with food than weather

Indeed. The Lemming is a staple of the Snowy Owl diet. Lemmings have a breeding cycle that includes years where very few young are reared (approx every 3-4 years). When the cycle comes where Lemmings are few and far between, the Snowy Owl will move to richer feeding grounds. In years of Lemming population booms, they can raise double or triple the usual number of young. Snowy Owls do not migrate, they are nomadic and follow the source of food approx every 3-4 years. The Snowy Owl boom in New England this year is because of the lower than normal population of Lemmings, voles, and ptarmigan. This is due to breeding cycles of the animals, not the weather.

Indeed. The Lemming is a staple of the Snowy Owl diet. Lemmings have a breeding cycle that includes years where very few young are reared (approx every 3-4 years). When the cycle comes where Lemmings are few and far between, the Snowy Owl will move to richer feeding grounds. In years of Lemming population booms, they can raise double or triple the usual number of young. Snowy Owls do not migrate, they are nomadic and follow the source of food approx every 3-4 years. The Snowy Owl boom in New England this year is because of the lower than normal population of Lemmings, voles, and ptarmigan. This is due to breeding cycles of the animals, not the weather.

actually it is the opposite reason, 

Ornithologists aren't entirely sure why snowy owls are traveling this far south. However, they do know one thing for sure: The migration is related to food, specifically the population of lemmings, the owl's dietary staple.

"When lemming populations are low, snowy owls don't breed. Consequently, those are years we don't see these owls in the southern U.S. and Canada,

Theory it seems from the Nat Geo article they really don't know what causes the massive migration as far south as it is. why fly all the way to Florida for food when lots of food available further north. Scientists have not figured it out , not as simple as you portray

actually it is the opposite reason, 

Ornithologists aren't entirely sure why snowy owls are traveling this far south. However, they do know one thing for sure: The migration is related to food, specifically the population of lemmings, the owl's dietary staple.

"When lemming populations are low, snowy owls don't breed. Consequently, those are years we don't see these owls in the southern U.S. and Canada,

Theory it seems from the Nat Geo article they really don't know what causes the massive migration as far south as it is. why fly all the way to Florida for food when lots of food available further north. Scientists have not figured it out , not as simple as you portray

I beg to differ.

Why are these birds showing up in such large numbers in the Midwest and eastern United States? Typically, such winter irruptions take place when the owls' food — mainly rodents, such as lemming — are unavailable. The current irruption could be due to a crash in these lemming populations, McGowan said. In addition, more snowy owls may have been born this year compared to in other years, leading to more competition for finite food resources, he said.

Kevin McGowan, bird expert at the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology at Cornell University.

I beg to differ.

Why are these birds showing up in such large numbers in the Midwest and eastern United States? Typically, such winter irruptions take place when the owls' food — mainly rodents, such as lemming — are unavailable. The current irruption could be due to a crash in these lemming populations, McGowan said. In addition, more snowy owls may have been born this year compared to in other years, leading to more competition for finite food resources, he said.

Kevin McGowan, bird expert at the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology at Cornell University.

Could be being the key term but hey I am not in any way shape or form a bird man just passing along what I read.

Twitter, destroying the art of more eloquent communication skills one tweet at a time.

Side note: don't use twitter, but I've heard the argument made by a linguist on radio lab (I think) that twitter and other mediums actually increases our ability to communicate effectively via brevity and the creation of new words (which some disdain)- instead of destroying language, these mediums expand our language and what we can do with it.

Just a thought. 

Could be being the key term but hey I am not in any way shape or form a bird man just passing along what I read.

Nor am I an expert ornithologist. I have been involved with the Audubon Society for 40 years, and I used to do classes on bird migration and habitat. Most of the peer reviewed papers that I have read on this subject are on the premise that these irruptions are due to food supply. There are other theories and you read one of them. Just putting out there what I know too. Not trying to dismiss your insight. Just differences of opinion.

Archived