12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 21/22 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shadow indicates significant height. I would love to see a ground shot.

I remember going up to that beach in Feb 1970 after a cold spell and finding mounds of ice washed up on the shore that were at least ten feet high possibly more, and stretching for miles along the beach. But I think some of the color contrast you see in that sat img may be different types of ice and leads of open water showing up. Ice from Lake Simcoe and similar small lakes in Manitoba has sometimes come inland at the spring break-up and pushed cottages off their foundations. Maybe that happens in northern New England too, I don't know. And that ice breaks up late, there was still ice in northern Lake Simcoe during the first day or two of the  May 1975 heat wave. There was a 30 deg thermocline near the lakeshore even in the middle of the night.

They're all over the beaches from Sandwich east. Barnstable has a bunch too.

I've seen a ton of photos of those things in New England recently. They are in VT as well in some numbers.

"For those of you who love a chance to see something new or different, this winter will give another opportunity to spot the snowy owl. Vermont and much of the northeast United States have been seeing snowy owls again this winter and the sightings have created a stir among birders and other lovers of wildlife.

We are again in the midst of a snowy owl irruption — a sudden upsurge in numbers — and the big, beautiful owls are being spotted throughout Vermont.

Sightings have been reported on eBird up and down the Champlain Valley with many sightings in the area of Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area in Addison, the Burlington waterfront and the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge."

Do the owls only come during snowy periods of time? IE.. Long deep winters that snow well into spring over large areas?

Heres a good article with some tweets in it that you can retweet. It's unusual. It may be their attempt to increase their social media presence

Very photogenic birds. They're trending on twitter.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sci-tech/snowy-owl-invasion-birds-spotted-as-far-south-as-florida-1.1618624

Heres a good article with some tweets in it that you can retweet. It's unusual. It may be their attempt to increase their social media presence

Very photogenic birds. They're trending on twitter.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sci-tech/snowy-owl-invasion-birds-spotted-as-far-south-as-florida-1.1618624

I have a feeling your're on Twitter. In fact , I'm positive you are .

I have a feeling your're on Twitter. In fact , I'm positive you are .

I'm sure I signed up, realized it's for people that want to follow the Kardashians or stalk weathermen from afar and then barely used it.

As a communication medium I place it up there with snapchat. I get snapchat....you want to send a photo of your junk but don't want to end up like Anthony Weiner. I don't get why intelligent people want to communicate like uneducated donkeys. Again unless your a stalker, a teenager or 20 something. I don't really care what Beyoncé had for lunch today.

I'm sure I signed up, realized it's for people that want to follow the Kardashians or stalk weathermen from afar and then barely used it.

As a communication medium I place it up there with snapchat. I get snapchat....you want to send a photo of your junk but don't want to end up like Anthony Weiner. I don't get why intelligent people want to communicate like uneducated donkeys. Again unless your a stalker, a teenager or 20 something. I don't really care what Beyoncé had for lunch today.

All of which proves my point. You don't understand Twitter and how/what to use it

All of which proves my point. You don't understand Twitter and how/what to use it

Kev all kidding aside I totally get what its for and how to use it.  I just find it useless.   I use social media to stay in contact with friends, family and to reacquaint with those that I've lost touch.  I've got no interest in communicating with someone in small chunks using broken English.  It has zero appeal to me.  The thought of following someone or having followers sounds like something Jim Jones did right before they mixed up the kool aid.

If I cared what a celebrity was doing, or some goofball entertainer or athlete I'd probably use it.  I figure if it's important enough it'll make regular media or good old google in due time and then I'll get caught up.  So often the tweets I do see are just links to.....other social media which seems like a giant waste of time.

I just looked up what's trending in Boston, Providence and NYC:

#polarvortexsongs

#hiorheyrecords

#gradysizemore

The first two...LOL, the last one was already all over the radio.

Go click on the gradysizemore ones....yeah I needed to see that.

shortage due to extreme arctic cold fall, rapid early snows, ala 1994, last time I saw one. Actually the last major one was 2011 http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140122-snowy-owl-south-united-states-irruption-migration-photos-science/

This article cites even warmth or rain in the arctic for declining the rodent population and this driving the birds south. The last one was the warm winter of 2011-2012.

http://www.vtgreatoutdoorsmag.com/2013/12/snowy-owls-visit-vermont-and-the-northeast.html

"While their diet consists almost exclusively of lemmings when they are available, snowy owls will hunt small mammals and birds and are known to eat rodents, rabbits, squirrels, songbirds, waterfowl and wading birds.

“Snowy owls migrate south when populations of rodents, their main food source, start to decline up north,” Buck said. “Ironically, spells of warmer arctic temperatures or rain can cause rodent populations to decline, driving snowy owls south in search of food.”

Irruptions usually only push snowy owls into southern Canada about every four years, but in some years, like this one, they’ll travel farther south into northern tier states and have been documented as far as Texas, California and Florida.

The last major snowy owl irruption that found Vermonters enjoying these birds took place during the winter of 2011-12."

Properly vented roof, FTW!  :P

290 year old roof FTL.  Heat escapes out of this place like you wouldn't believe.  Worst move ever coming into this place.

Pot? Last night one wind gust just about cleared my roof of nearly a foot of puff in one fell swoop, unfortunately for me I was standing outside on my sidewalk which I had just finished.

lol. 

Why?

Yea I loled for a while

Once it settles some more tomorrow, Garth can change it to 9.0" ;)

The fluffy snow you, have to measure it quickly. There's a reason J.Spin has a web cam on his snowboard, so you can grab it at its max depth haha.

Yeah, I know.  A lousy half inch.  Who cares.  Sh*t is serious business so I want to make sure I do it right  - lol. (I do measure as the storms happen if I can, with board cleanings, etc.) I thought I measured wrong, but really didn't so the 11" is still good, but am to embarrassed to mention change it again.

...idiotic, I know.

290 year old roof FTL.  Heat escapes out of this place like you wouldn't believe.  Worst move ever coming into this place.

lol. 

Yeah, I know.  A lousy half inch.  Who cares.  Sh*t is serious business so I want to make sure I do it right  - lol. (I do measure as the storms happen if I can, with board cleanings, etc.) I thought I measured wrong, but really didn't so the 11" is still good, but am to embarrassed to mention change it again.

...idiotic, I know.

:weenie: :weenie:

Archived