12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 21/22 winter storm Obs

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott what is that thermal gradient formally called?  I've noted it's prescence in the best of OES events here over the years.  Just a trough?

Shot 10 minutes ago, it's snowing heavier now.

Its usually referred to as Delta Ts in LES/OES situations

Scott what is that thermal gradient formally called?  I've noted it's prescence in the best of OES events here over the years.  Just a trough?

Shot 10 minutes ago, it's snowing heavier now.

Thermal gradient? You don't mean a cstl front do you? That helped somewhat too. This stuff is your classic NNE low level jet at like 950 moving SSW.

Man, what an impressive snowstorm this was here in Norwell. And for once, our town gets mentioned on the local news report lol.. From start to finish, that one band just stayed put over the South Shore and dumped beautiful, fluffy snow. I have yet to go out and take any measurements here but the amount on the NWS page seems pretty accurate, at least considering the duration of the snowfall. I remember watching the radar last night and seeing the snow band shrink by 10:30ish and somehow our tiny little town and a few others nearby stayed in the action, probably due to ocean enhancement. It reminds me of the post January 2005 blizzard when we had another ocean enhanced setup that dumped about a foot here under a brutally cold airmass which led to a glorious school cancellation that day. :) This was definitely a fun storm to track and observe, especially since it greatly exceeded my expectations!

I also want to say, being a first time poster (registered before on Eastern US) that I love the discussions you guys have here and have learned a heck of a lot just from lurking on here. You guys have continued to fuel my passion for meterology, despite not having much to show for it. Well damn, I better start shoveling!

awesome report, thanks

Nice oes bands moving SE near PYM. Meanwhile here imby snow has increased for a last hurrah. Very pretty scene this morning with temps 6.

Congrats dude. This has to be the closest to 1994 you've seen since 1994 no?

If it weren't for the turd week it would almost be lock step with a bit less snow but still well above average to date. Cold, snow cover. But admittedly I'm tired! Let's get a widespread event next time!

Oh I know that part...I meant the little notch of temps that are quite a bit different right along the bend at 8h

A bubble of warm 850s can happen with warm seclusion, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the case in this one. It looks like an inverted trough.

The tree in the dead middle is 2 tenths away. Actually just a little under.

Will..yeah, that's what I figured a little trough right overhead.

If you ever look at the radar VAD profile, you can see the inflow from the NE. Sometimes you have a weak boundary separating N-NNE winds vs NNW winds. That and the NE LLJ crossing over it helps fire up those bands like you have.

If you ever look at the radar VAD profile, you can see the inflow from the NE. Sometimes you have a weak boundary separating N-NNE winds vs NNW winds. That and the NE LLJ crossing over it helps fire up those bands like you have.

Scott yeah makes sense. It's winding down now but that was really terrific.

The interesting thing about the snow from about 1115 to 210pm before it lightened is that it really "leveled" everything.

I cleaned this area twice last night, the last time before 9.  At 145pm I had 12" pretty much everywhere OTG...last night I cleared 4-5" in the same spot total.  I have no idea how much compacted but if NOAA/Media has reports from along the water up through Plymouth and Duxbury of 18-22" I'd believe it no problem.

The last 5-6" on top today was a joke...lightest I about ever see here.  normally I only see this when it's one of those polar airmasses over the water under high pressure and no winds....wait...well I guess this is similar.

This is one of those storms I hate to report 15-18" until I see a noaa observer nearby in the ballpark (the sandwich one will be less this time they got scrooged on the band last night)

I saw 15" in mashpee, Scott.

Ok....and a few members here in Duxbury were over 18" as well.   I dropped the ball by not measuring at dawn this am as I lost a lot probably in the compaction but I think 4-5 +  11-12 is 15-17 and probably lost a few inches to squash as the bottom 1" was blue/wet snow.

No comparison to 1/3 here, longer, more intense snow but I bet the W.E. is way lower than 1/3

2nd storm that's made it about 24 hours here this month which I absolutely love.  Still spitting light snow.

If someone just north of me pops a 20 or 23" figure I'd have no problems believing it.

Man boston got screwgie in this, so close to much more, that first batch of mid level lift in the 600 mile band was oriented a hair to far south (which was pretty well modeled) and that lift fell apart at like 5z and there was just not much left 6-12z when it oriented N-S this was when areas further ne were to cash in .

That sw entering the base of the trough seemed to be the culprit and even mentioned in the box disco as to robbing forcing mechanisms along north side of trough (us) by the time it alligned more n-s the lift never got re-established sufficiently, ask GYX about that

Archived