• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you got that right!  when i took the dog out the difference was noticeable.  it was cold earlier this afternoon, now it is just frigid and keeps on dropping.  the winds are getting stronger, i can hear them inside the house now lol

Me too, my deciduous trees have that distinctive leafless roar going on right now!

I'll third that. It really feels a lot colder out there than it was not that long ago. Every time i look at the temp, it's dropped. Now down to 24.7. Nothing like your 14 but it's dropping a degree every few minutes it seems. Just upstream in jefferson it's down to 20. It seem virtually every where it's dropping 4 or 5 degrees per hour. Wonder how long that will keep up and how fast it will drop after the sun goes down.

not only is it interesting to see the temp lower each time you look (not that i am doing that a lot right now or anything :rolleyes: but its not just a degree but several lol

And with the just-announced closing of Cherokee, it looks like all of the Atlanta greater metro area counties and cities have shuttered public schools tomorrow.

Still holding at 14 degrees for the last half hour, but the wind has picked up a bit and we are below 0 with wind chill.

sounds like most of n ga at this point.  all the schools up this way (habersham rabun white etc) have already announced they will be closed

Me too, my deciduous trees have that distinctive leafless roar going on right now!

so its the trees without leaves that makes that roar sound!  i always wondered about that haha.  i havent gone out for a measurement since last time i did i froze my hands off, but generally i have figured it takes winds approaching at least 20/25 mph to get that sound going. 

not only is it interesting to see the temp lower each time you look (not that i am doing that a lot right now or anything :rolleyes: but its not just a degree but several lol

Yep, just since i posted that..another 1.5 degrees cooler now..23.1. It's pretty wild to see it drop this fast out of the blue sort of. I mean you can see temps drop like this on clear and calm evenings but with all this wind and the sun still out it seems rather strange.

45 here, already 20 degrees cooler than it was at 10 am this morning and if the forecast holds true and we reach 13 tonight we still got another 32 degrees to drop....that would give us a 52 degree swing in about 18-20 hrs. They are also nudging down our high tomorrow and our low tomorrow night, If the wind lays up good around nightfall tomorrow we could see folks drop quickly, IMO they might have tomorrow night to warm in this area by 5+ degrees if the wind lays up.

Currently 26 , don't think it's impossible to drop 20 degrees over the rest of the night to set the record?!

i would think certainly a good shot.  as this second shot moves in it gets very windy and the temps plunge on the order of multiple degrees every few minutes lol.  its 12 here, a 13 or 14 drop in a couple of hours

NWS is calling for 17º here tonight, 39º tomorrow and 18º tomorrow night.

:icecream:

you are in gainesville FLA right, not gainesville GA? lol - 17 on a winter night is cold here in n ga, so to have that in fla is amazing

Archived