• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in extreme NE Cherokee it's now 14,  so a drop of ~5 degrees in a bit less than 2 hours.  A bit breezier than it was early afternoon.

I will confess I am a little sad we're probably 25-30 miles too far south to have gotten snow on the ground.  6+ hours of flurries this morning but not enough to stick.

temps steadily dropping, 17* - the winds seem strongest so far

edited to add:

remembered posting my temp earlier so i went and looked, it was 47 min ago, so a 4 degree drop in about 45 min

Atlanta has seen an impressive 5 degree drop in the past hour..from 26 to 21. So it seems temps are starting to tumble quite a bit for many.

I'm 2 miles N of KATL and I can tell you it has gone from cold to brutal in the last hour. Going to be a frigid night for sure. FFC now advertising 5 for the low in my zip code.

Just checking the wind speed on the models and winds are not going to subside very much tonight.Depending on the model, maybe 5 or 6 knots less by 12z tomorrow than they are right now. Gfs is showing the highest wind speeds..around 15 knots from 06z to 12z.  Nam is more on the order of 10 to 12knots. Keep in mind this does not count gusts.So it really is going to be some stinging cold overnight and tomorrow morning.

To put this into some perspective, the gfs/nam were showing wind speeds of 18 to 20  knots this afternoon

Atlanta has seen an impressive 5 degree drop in the past hour..from 26 to 21. So it seems temps are starting to tumble quite a bit for many.

i have to say last night i wasnt as impressed since the front didnt 'roar' thru here like other places (dang mtns) - but this afternoon has been downright impressive!  its now down to 14 :lmao::shiver:   that is normally a cold over night low, but its with bright sunshine and strong winds.  watching the temp drop this much this quickly is quite a site.  

I'm 2 miles N of KATL and I can tell you it has gone from cold to brutal in the last hour. Going to be a frigid night for sure. FFC now advertising 5 for the low in my zip code.

you got that right!  when i took the dog out the difference was noticeable.  it was cold earlier this afternoon, now it is just frigid and keeps on dropping.  the winds are getting stronger, i can hear them inside the house now lol

13 here, zero is within our reachthe airport here in Macon county will probably report some crazy low number. Its surrounded by 4-5k ft ridges on three sides and really takes advantage of the cold sinking air being in a bowl. Its also protected from winds at the surface.

Awesome I look forward to seeing you post that! If we are going to get this cold I at least hope we are breaking records. I am dropping around a degree every 15-20 minutes in the sunshine ha crazy.

27 at 3:30 when I got home. Now 21 at 4:30 with crazy wind. Noticed gsp on channel 4 reading 33!

Edit to add that Oconee is not delaying school yet...every other county in the upstate is at least delayed yet we will be colder than any..especially in mtn Rest (they may go below 0)!

i have to say last night i wasnt as impressed since the front didnt 'roar' thru here like other places (dang mtns) - but this afternoon has been downright impressive!  its now down to 14 :lmao::shiver:   that is normally a cold over night low, but its with bright sunshine and strong winds.  watching the temp drop this much this quickly is quite a site.  

you got that right!  when i took the dog out the difference was noticeable.  it was cold earlier this afternoon, now it is just frigid and keeps on dropping.  the winds are getting stronger, i can hear them inside the house now lol

I'll third that. It really feels a lot colder out there than it was not that long ago. Every time i look at the temp, it's dropped. Now down to 24.7. Nothing like your 14 but it's dropping a degree every few minutes it seems. Just upstream in jefferson it's down to 20. It seem virtually every where it's dropping 4 or 5 degrees per hour. Wonder how long that will keep up and how fast it will drop after the sun goes down.

The panic shown on here by some of the posts in the past couple hours is laughable...

I think GaWx is bringing up an excellent point about how this air is coming in 2 different waves. Just compare dewpoints from the East side of the Apps to the west side and up into the Ohio Valley. There is going to be a second surge that will send the Apps in North Carolina below zero tonight...

Second people talk about downsloping and how it blocks air east of the mountains...you got to remember downsloping  is a product of the air mixing during daytime heating... as soon as the sun goes down you pretty much lose your compressive heating.

Think about it in the opposite manner, downslope warming during a heat wave in the summer occurs during peak heating, not at night.

As soon as downslope winds begin to cease in the next hour or so, the layer from aloft works it way back to the surface... temps will drop pretty quick east of the mountains. Then around late evening, we'll have another steep drop due to the advection of the coldest of air at 850-900mb.

In the 10 minutes it look me to type this my temp has dropped from 31 to 28...

I don't think anyone is arguing that fact.

However, it certainly affects how quickly the cold air works back down to the surface in some areas - the point was that for some, it will be impressive to go from 40-something degrees to 7 degrees with a smaller amount of time to work with. If you put a bowl on the floor (turned upside down), and sit on one side of it with a hair dryer blowing in one direction over the bowl, the last place to be affected is the base of the bowl on the other side.  That is a micro-scale of course, but the physics are similar. There's no way around the fact that the Apps impede the forward progress of fronts moving NW to SE. There's no doubt that air as cold as what is currently working it's way over the Apps will eventually settle to the surface. Will it happen in enough time to reach the original forecast low? It's possible. I would like to believe there was a reason my progged low was revised to 14 (from 6) earlier this afternoon. I'm sure part of that was the warmer trend they were seeing at that point.

I've already said that if I hit the first forecast low of 6 degrees, I would be utterly impressed. That would certainly lend merit to the discussions we've had for the last week +.

Having said all of this - you're still awesome :)

Archived