• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wind chill is going to be very dangerous there tomorrow. But I remember having class when it was snowing and a wind chill below zero before.

Back in the 60s they were airlifting supplies and classes were never cancelled.  It was said, although I have no way of knowing if it was true, that ASTC(as it was known on those days) had never cancelled classes due to weather.

On a side note and to give an idea just how much times have changed there is this little gem, passed during a frigid January.

1967: In January, women are given the right to wear slacks at sporting events, theBookstore, and in the dormitories. They are still prohibited in classes, the cafeteria,uptown, and in the library.  In February, the Student Council alters the rule to allow the wearing of slacks everywhere except classes, the library, and in the cafeteria during noon and evening meals on Sundays. They are allowed in classes and the library on extremely cold days.

thanks for the answers everyone, Makes sense now. 

We're sitting at 39.1 now. Schools have already decided for two hour delays tomorrow and Wednesday. Don't see much point in that.

Hoping I see atleast a snowflake or two here.But I know its very doubtful. Congrats to all those seeing snow. Enjoy it!!!

Here in Cherokee County they are waiting (again). Everyone agrees it is going to be dang cold - we will see how late they wait (was 11:55 pm last night for today's cancellation).

Stay warm!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They really shouldn't have closed today IMO.  No doubt they will for tomorrow which makes sense.  I'm at almost 27 degrees at the moment

Here in Cherokee County they are waiting (again). Everyone agrees it is going to be dang cold - we will see how late they wait (was 11:55 pm last night for today's cancellation).

Stay warm!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Truly annoying that Cherokee waits until the middle of the night to announce so often.  Pickens (to the north) and Cobb (to the south) have already announced closure tomorrow.  I happened to wake up around 3am this morning from the wind, which is when I found we were going to be closed today.  It's just not that hard to read the forecast and decide.  Cherokee usually waits for some time after all the surrounding counties have announced.

Currently 18 degrees here with a wind chill of 10, and will be dropping the rest of the day into tomorrow morning...

Interesting watching what appears to be a second "surge" of cold air across north ga. Temps had remained steady or even rise a degree or two the last few hours but temps at 1pm are 1 or 2  degrees colder for many locals vs the previous hour.  Single digits  have been sitting just across the border at chattanooga  for a while and temps have fallen to the low to mid teens in far northwest ga. Meanwhile it's warmed to the upper 30s to lower 40s even in some parts of the upstate. It's quite amazing how much difference there is on the west side of the mountains vs the south/east side.

Temp is 31 here. The winds actually dropped down to just 5 or 10mph for 2 hours or so but in the last 20 or 30 minutes they are back up to 20 to 30mph.

Brad Panovich is going with -14 and Robert -17 so I think closing is well warranted, are they more slack than back in the day? I'm sure, but liabilities have changed drastically too

In the mid 60s I was walking from campus west on main street to the edge of town where I was staying. I don't remember the actual temp or wind speed but my face was quickly numb and it was difficult walking. I smoked then and was smoking a cig while walking. I noticed the cigarette didn't seem to be getting shorter although I was getting smoke. I stepped into a doorway and looked at it. The tobacco had burned but the paper around it had not. There were a few holes burnt in the paper but not enough for it to lose its shape. Boone is special.

Temps here since mid morning has bounced between 33 and 34. I'm guessing by 3 pm temps should really begin to dive across the Western Carolinas as the early January sun angle is very low. The mountains have done their usual job but mother nature is about to take over.

Temps here since mid morning has bounced between 33 and 34. I'm guessing by 3 pm temps should really begin to dive across the Western Carolinas as the early January sun angle is very low. The mountains have done their usual job but mother nature is about to take over.

So far, I've been more impressed with the stout defiance of the mountains and their guard of this "lee side tongue" area.  I'm not convinced this air mass will be as oppressive from around Anderson SC to maybe Flat Rock NC.

I don't know what the record, if there is one, for how much area of the US,  or how many  people,  are under one kind of advisory (like how many are under a wind chill warning or advisories)  or an advisory of some kind. I mean this map is just crazy to see. i think last night there was a bit more coverage of watches, advisories, etc of some kind (like new england doesn't have any now where as last night they had a WWA and i think there were some advisories further west in the plains)

Regardless, it's impressive.

post-12-0-03771400-1389034087_thumb.png

48 here in se nc forecasted low is 16 mother nature sure has some work to do to get there.... if we get there it sure will be impressive.

I'm thinking the eastern side of the mountains will not get anywhere near what they are forecasting.  Its one thing to be 10 or 15 degrees warmer than the west side of the apps, but we're approaching 20-30 degree differences.  I just don't see that kind of drop in a few hours. 

Purely amateur thinking here but looking at the water vapor loop it would appear that the PV is still not making it south of a Memphis to Chattanooga to Bristol line.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

While winds at the surface are more or less stiff out of the N/NW, looking at the RAP it appears we are still getting a W or SW wind at the upper levels and with these high winds it is cycling that fractionally warmer air to the surface. Could be why we are seeing temps leveling off or rising a few degrees across GA/SC/NC.

Maybe a pro has a better idea on this.

Archived