• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-8 2014 arctic attack obs thread...

Marion_NC_WX

I'm really enjoying watching this cold air plunge over the Atlanta area and points northwest, its pretty remarkable. Somebody in the Atlanta area should be sniffing 0 by morning.  We still aren't dropping here in Columbia, sitting right around 40F.

Where are you located? Everyone around CAE has dropped into the 30's

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i would think certainly a good shot.  as this second shot moves in it gets very windy and the temps plunge on the order of multiple degrees every few minutes lol.  its 12 here, a 13 or 14 drop in a couple of hours

you are in gainesville FLA right, not gainesville GA? lol - 17 on a winter night is cold here in n ga, so to have that in fla is amazing

Yup G'ville. FL.

Saw some amazing snow pics from Blairseville today!!!!!

You know what though - mid-teens were not that uncommon here in the 1980's, but have pretty much been so since.

Digging every blessed drop in every friggin' degree!!!!

I'm really enjoying watching this cold air plunge over the Atlanta area and points northwest, its pretty remarkable. Somebody in the Atlanta area should be sniffing 0 by morning.  We still aren't dropping here in Columbia, sitting right around 40F.

Believe me it hurts out there, just walked my 2 dogs, Labs so they love it.  I have 14.7

Yup G'ville. FL.

Saw some amazing snow pics from Blairseville today!!!!!

You know what though - mid-teens were not that uncommon here in the 1980's, but have pretty much been so since.

Digging every blessed drop in every friggin' degree!!!!

Are schools closed down there? They are here and in Lake city.

It seems wrong the NOAA wind chill chart shows that -10 with a 60 MPH wind equals -48 so I am not sure where they get -90 from even with the old system I doubt it would be that cold.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/windchill/

You are right, using the old index it would be -67F.

Using the old index, wind chills in general would be -5 to -15 right now for areas outside the mountains

down to 20.3 now. So teens almost here. Wind chill here with 20mph wind is 4 (-10 on the old index).

Correction, now 19.8. Just a minute or two after posting this lol

Just reviewed the NAM WRF and SREF for Boone, Hickory and Charlotte.

High confidence that at least -12 is doable above 5000' in NW North Carolina.

-16 possible

-20 to -22 would be impressive and can not be ruled out.

Hope everyone got their propane gas tank filled in time!

According to local mets (Brad Panovich (-14) and Robert (-17)) the -12 is easily doable at 3,000ft not 5,000ft. I feel that you are being a little conservative

Interesting fact, anyone that is 18 or younger have never seen temps like this in the SE if they have lived here their entire life. So this is the reason schools are closed, they are not accustomed to it, and we aren't either since its been so long.  Standing in -15 wind chill is dangerous, I would not let or want my child to do it.

Interesting fact, anyone that is 18 or younger have never seen temps like this in the SE if they have lived here their entire life. So this is the reason schools are closed, they are not accustomed to it, and we aren't either since its been so long. Standing in -15 wind chill is dangerous, I would not let or want my child to do it.

Barely any one down here has a winter coat especially considering how warm December was. These little sweaters and jackets won't do anything to keep you warm.

Barely any one down here has a winter coat especially considering how warm December was. These little sweaters and jackets won't do anything to keep you warm.

Yep even up here.  My middle schoolers don't own much extreme cold weather gear right now, our last trip up north in winter was 3 years ago.  Kids outgrow stuff super fast and we've had a very warm few winters recently.

Archived