e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
12z model discussion jan 2-3 storm 1/1/2014

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really need that southern feature to dampen out along the lines of the RGEM instead of the NAM and consolidate the

low further west.

attachicon.gifGZ_D5_PN_036_0000.gif

attachicon.gifGZ_D5_PN_036_0000NAM.gif

When the center comes off the Delmarva it should deepen closer in not sure if the euro is gona see it

But think the his res models will catch the banding that's Gona go on closer to the coast

QPF summary for today's 12z runs all seem to indicate at least 0.50 or higher for eastern NJ into NYC and more as you head north and east into LI and SNE.

SREF: > 0.5 http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/sref/09/sref_namer_063_precip_p24.gif

NAM: >0.50   http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/nam/12/nam_namer_066_precip_ptot.gif

RGEM: 0.75 http://meteocentre.com/models/gemreg_amer_12/accum/PR_000-048_0000.gif

GFS: 0.50 http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/data/gfs/12/gfs_namer_066_precip_ptot.gif

GGEM:  NOT out yet but appears to be 0.50 - 0.75

UKMET: 0.50

I think 4 - 8 is a good projection now with locally higher amounts.

I am gaining confidence that NYC metro will see 6+ with a foot possible esp in Hudson Valley.

Metsfan you think that according to the H5/500mb presentation on the models that we will indeed see trends reflected on the models that the storm will be closer to the coast and banding towards coastal areas as well? Im thinking personally JB saying 1-2 for nyc and especially may not be far fetched if we can easily attain 15:1 ratios and over 1 inch liquid if the storm does indeed develop and bomb out closer to the coast

Metsfan you think that according to the H5/500mb presentation on the models that we will indeed see trends reflected on the models that the storm will be closer to the coast and banding towards coastal areas as well? Im thinking personally JB saying 1-2 for nyc and especially may not be far fetched if we can easily attain 15:1 ratios and over 1 inch liquid if the storm does indeed develop and bomb out closer to the coast

Based on the presentation of the 250 mb jet the storm will be closer to the coast. As far as banding the storm looks to develop a tad too late, but  eastern Long Island might see some banding only because they are closer to the low pressure center.

With each of these little improvements I'm very confident the NS of Long Island especially east of Huntington has a very good chance of going over the 10-12" mark if these small improvements in runs continues...

There could be some LI Sound enhancement at the end as the very cold temps move over that water. I could definitely see jackpots along Rt. 25 in Suffolk County.

Based on the presentation of the 250 mb jet the storm will be closer to the coast. As far as banding the storm looks to develop a tad too late, but  eastern Long Island might see some banding only because they are closer to the low pressure center.

it'll be interesting to see where the exact banding sets up

There could be some LI Sound enhancement at the end as the very cold temps move over that water. I could definitely see jackpots along Rt. 25 in Suffolk County.

The ending Friday morning looks as cold as the start of PD2 at JFK. That was some of the best

powder that I have seen here.

2-16-03 JFK 8:51 PM 14.0 °F -2.0 °F 14.0 °F 100% 30.56 in 0.8 mi NNE 16.1 mph - 0.02 in Snow Light Snow

I have a feeling the euro is going to hit hard.

Well lets hope it comes in line with all the other models... Totals across the area seem to be in the 6-10 inch range with the potential for more!!! The storm really excites me because of the extreme cold and high potential ratios. Even if we only saw .30-.40 we could very well see a low end warning event.

Archived