EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
12z model discussion jan 2-3 storm 1/1/2014

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on we all knew the last two runs was just the nam doing what the nam does. This is much more in line with the other guidance. Now we can focus on the rgem and short term models

Yes but NAM still left it wide open for much more. That little inverted trough has to be watched.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_051_precip_p36.gif&model=nam&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=precip_p36&fhr=051&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Technically. You could tell he was only looking at the surface though. The look aloft argued for a MECS there. And we will likely get it if these trends continue. Oh look, all the negative nellies coming out now. Lol.

First off I'm not a negative poster.. I constantly contradict ace with his negative post...I'm actually quit the opposite

Technically. You could tell he was only looking at the surface though. The look aloft argued for a MECS there. And we will likely get it if these trends continue. Oh look, all the negative nellies coming out now. Lol.

One guarantee in this forum that NEVER fails is members that dont know how to analyze a pattern live and die by one model run. At H5 this screames big hit and i think that it will trend that way, its literaly on small step from being just that with surface reflection

Surface much more realistic this run. High 3-4 mb lower over Quebec and low near benchmark also few mb higher. Most NWS offices in Northeast are happy this run lines up pretty well with amounts already forecasted. Lingering trough hinted at by NAM in S.Jersey will need to be watched in further runs.   

Please explain how the surface this run was more realistic. Seems mostly everyone else disagrees, so would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Almost a little inverted trough in southern jersey. They get close to an inch of QPF. Still .5 + for everyone else.

Agree.  It's starting to fall in line with the other guidance. 09 srefs has .75- close to an inch of qpf. Surface temps in the teens will translate to a solid 5-8 inches area wide with 10 + in some areas.

This run reverted back to the old idea of a stronger southern vort pulling the development further east.

But it seems to be at odds with the SREFS which don't focus on this feature. So will know which

idea is correct when we see the GFS and RGEM soon. 

6z

12z

One guarantee in this forum that NEVER fails is members that dont know how to analyze a pattern live and die by one model run. At H5 this screames big hit and i think that it will trend that way, its literaly on small step from being just that with surface reflection

It started trending that way yesterday, and looks to me like it continues to do so. Looks sweet

This run reverted back to the old idea of a stronger southern vort pulling the development further east.

But it seems to be at odds with the SREFS which don't focus on this feature. So will know which

idea is correct when we see the GFS and RGEM soon.

Yep, but at the same time odds at a moderate snowfall for the area continue to gain steam. .around . 50 of QPF is easily 5-8 inches with the higher ratios.

What's interesting to me is there is still a possibility for more. Hopefully the GFS keeps it interesting

All I meant, and said so even when the crazy NAM runs came out....is that I did NOT feel that they were realistic (read back on my posts last night). This one, I DO feel is realistic. It's in line with other guidance which would simply not lead to a major major snowfall. Significant, yes....but not the 10-15 the NAM painted out. As I said, I'd want support from GFS or euro. It has had neither

Yep, but at the same time odds at a moderate snowfall for the area continue to gain steam. .around . 50 of QPF is easily 5-8 inches with the higher ratios.

What's interesting to me is there is still a possibility for more. Hopefully the GFS keeps it interesting

You can see how the SREF mean doesn't jump the center so far east like the NAM. It could just be the NAM showing

too much feedback over the Gulf Stream. But the other models will settle the issue.

What's with the donut hole in CT... Doesn't seem right to me. I would almost bet on it that it doesn't happen like that.

The high res NAM agrees with what one should see with a 500 MB presentation like that . usually I would scale this back with the high ratios this looks plausible to me . And Long Island don't worry , prob just the ALGO hires_snow_depth_neng_52.png

Even if you cut them in half it's still a 4-6 inch snowfall area wife.

Archived