Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wxusaf overmoderates like its his business 

You complain there's too many active threads, so I lock my own thread, you open it back up and then say I'm overmoderating?

Feel free to fire me from this volunteer position if someone else could do a job more to your liking. 

You complain there's too many active threads, so I lock my own thread, you open it back up and then say I'm overmoderating?

Feel free to fire me from this volunteer position if someone else could do a job more to your liking. 

:popcorn:

I like to let people post rather than tell them how to post. But having twelve model threads does kind of suck.  

Over/Under 50% this amazing pattern fails us....

It probably depends on your definition of fail. Seems like a lot of people are just shooting for 1".. in that case, under.  More than an inch.. tougher call. ;) 

It's gotta snow eventually. Can't hurt having the most favorable pattern since Washington/Jefferson overlap with prime-o climo.

Lol. You've been in the area long enough to know that the last two winters were hard to accomplish, and 2 in a row was unprecedented. Yes, even crappy 07/08 and 08/09 had moderate to heavy snowstorms. 

We can already see that this season, even if it ends up substantially under average, will be a more normal kind of suck instead of the 'nothing goes right for 3 months' kind of suck. 

Lol. You've been in the area long enough to know that the last two winters were hard to accomplish, and 2 in a row was unprecedented. Yes, even crappy 07/08 and 08/09 had moderate to heavy snowstorms.

We can already see that this season, even if it ends up substantially under average, will be a more normal kind of suck instead of the 'nothing goes right for 3 months' kind of suck.

If the next few weeks work out I think most will think of this as a pretty decent winter. Part of that could be the pain of the last few though. I'd have to assume our best current bet for DCA is like 75% climo or so but beating it wouldn't be shocking.

If the next few weeks work out I think most will think of this as a pretty decent winter. Part of that could be the pain of the last few though. I'd have to assume our best current bet for DCA is like 75% climo or so but beating it wouldn't be shocking.

How a winter feels to area depends on snow, sure, but also on other factors. 76/77 was below average snow totals, but we did score a couple of moderate snows in January (like 3-4" type totals), had an amazingly cold month, and experienced an ice storm or two on top of it all. That was winter. 

1/85 was a wintry month with a good snowstorm, freezing rain, and an extreme cold wave, so that winter was acceptable even though the snow total wasn't good. 

This winter so far has already had more than one non-negligible impact event... if we verify the cold through the next stretch and somehow manage to gather 6" across multiple events at DCA, this winter will be seen as ok. 

Archived