• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Big Snow threat, what will it do, part II

Typhoon Tip

Tip, we did reference that. It looks funny for sure. I like how as the parent low exists..it gives birth to a new one west of it. It also should be noted that the parent low was a shift SW from 12z. So perhaps in the stages of correcting?

Yeah, just saw that - haha.  sorry.

Ya, for sho, tru dhat, diz beyotch be f'shizzel on our nizzle's yo! Time to ges mine and bust a cap in duh runs azzz

It could be correcting. 

I think the problem is data assimilation frankly.  The impulse(s) is/are up in data dearth city, so the models is reconstructing the input grids insufficiently.. 

What that science-fiction means is that "IF" a stronger dynamic aloft curls around the base of the trough it will force a deeper low where it should be, and that actually reverses the robbing. Suddenly, that seaward solution evaporates if/when that happens.  

Very complicated...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched Eric Fisher. He seems good. Won't state amounts but talked of the potential. Good analysis IMHO.

I'm a fan of talking about the potential, dynamics in place, but leaving it at 6" or more is possible. Just as many people will stick around to hear about totals later as will read your Twitter account for weenie snow maps.

Or at least I like to believe that.

I wouldnt get too worked up over a 18z gfs run outside of 66hrs. It hardly ever gets phase jobs down and it usually craps out to the SE with some wierd looking qpf blobs. I think the gfs has done a fairly decent job sniffing out the overall look of a nyc to bos storm but its going to struggle bringing the pieces together.

Wxrisk.com
*** TIME TO THINK ABOUT THE B-WORD FOR NEW ENGLAND***

Folks ...if the 12z monday european model is correct ,.. and it almost always is at the time frame.. the New England and NYC and N NJ ... it is time to think about the ***B word **

THIS IMAGE shows the MIN temp JAN 3 ... -4 in WORCESTER MASS .... +4 at hartford 14 at NYC 8 at Newburgh

the map on the RIGHT shows WINDS on JAN 3 at 1000 feet up... the winds at over 75 mph ... the general rule is you 90% of that and you bring it down to the ground ... possible winds to 60 mph 

POSSIBLE
1484207_626337714080157_1038962571_n.jpg

I'm pretty new to reading weather maps and, as an academic exercise, I'm trying to make sense of 12/18z GFS.

My basic understanding is that increasing vorticity is an indication of confluence and lift.  Looking at the 18z GFS 500mb heights/vorticity 72 hour panel, I see a vorticity maximum over northern Mississippi but somehow the surface low ends up off the coast of North Carolina.  Am I wrong to assume that the upper level low should be somewhere in the neighborhood of the vorticity max and the surface low should be somewhere to the southeast of this?  My highly uneducated guess would be that the surface low should be somewhere over southeast Alabama

I’m trying to sort out how this all works, so any feedback would be much appreciated!

Archived