Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Big Snow threat, what will it do, part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll add that the extreme solution verifying is usually rare...especially if it's at d4-5 and only 1 or 2 runs of a particular model. But I guess the public doesn't care as much as they used to in this age of "reality" TV They just want drama and something to talk about in social media at this range. I think most of the public won't hold a forecast against you unless it's a forecast bust inside 24hrs.

I agree on your verification comment. I disagree though in that all these forecasts and hype by both weenies and yes some national news and weather outlets just leads to obfuscation. I can only impart to my viewers and followers my take on things. What i don't like is when my forecast is lumped in with the "others" esp if the others bust or are wrong or are initially too high then start to come down leading up to the event. Again no accountability on those who forecast recklessly.

Lol.. And I certainly didn't vote for Obama.

Looks like a solid winter storm from border to border

How many times have we been down this road the last few years? Euro and its Ensembles get locked. We clutch pearls and watch the woeful American guidance eventually catch on. Broken record that never gets fixed unfortunately, but I think that is going to change pretty soon.

All hail Kevin, deep deep winter is upon us.

Considering the situation our healthcare and economy is in I'm confident I made the right choice!! But that's OT

It's going to snow and probably a lot

When you have to climb out of a 50ft hole with a stapler, thats a tough out.

The world isnt so black and white. We are in a constant state of cause and affect, a ying and a yang.

How many times have we been down this road the last few years? Euro and its Ensembles get locked. We clutch pearls and watch the woeful American guidance eventually catch on. Broken record that never gets fixed unfortunately, but I think that is going to change pretty soon.

Well since the change to the EC this year it has lost a lot of its "god" like nature. 

All we can do is hope the Americans that program and make these models realize their errors and fix their ways so we can thrive like the Europeon guidance.

I'm thinking 8+

All we can do is hope the Americans that program and make these models realize their errors and fix their ways so we can thrive like the Europeon guidance.

I'm thinking 8+

I'm going 4-6" right now for SNE....higher amounts out towards the Cape and near BOS. 

What's up with the Polly comment dude? 

Yes, noted. This system will be a great test of the big 3. And professionals like yourself and all the other Pros here should show the community a nice post mortem if you have a chance. 

If I have the chance I will. But forecasting with models isn't forecasting what they show. Its guidance you can take it or leave or use it how you will or want. Sometimes "on the surface" the GFS looks wrong or odd but if you dig deeper you'll come up with a better forecast.

Maybe if it the GFS was made by a private entity that actually had to answer to its stockholders, etc. But its made by a gov't bureaucracy and they can never scrap the thing and lose face like that. They will just endlessly "tweak' it.

I'm thinking 8+

I agree on your verification comment. I disagree though in that all these forecasts and hype by both weenies and yes some national news and weather outlets just leads to obfuscation. I can only impart to my viewers and followers my take on things. What i don't like is when my forecast is lumped in with the "others" esp if the others bust or are wrong or are initially too high then start to come down leading up to the event. Again no accountability on those who forecast recklessly.

Well I was sorta being tongue-in-cheek. I do think there is a social media population that prefers drama and hype like Kevin alludes to, but most viewers of the evening news do want a responsible forecast for preparation purposes. Trust me, I hate the Twitter nonsense from mets posting d5 weenie snow maps using algorithms that don't necessarily apply to the current situation. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me. At least most of the posters here know to take those posts/tweets as humor.

But the GFS has fundamental flaws in how it handles east coast cyclogenesis and it does it over and over ...usually clueless in about the 72 hr to 144 hr period. The ECM is less god-like, but still better overall.

Yes, noted. This system will be a great test of the big 3. And professionals like yourself and all the other Pros here should show the community a nice post mortem if you have a chance. 

Well dead zone is over. Srefs will be finished within 10 minutes. I'll then have time to walk to Trader joes to stock up on spirits, then back for the nam, Still hours away from anything reliable.

They're out. Mean QPF a bit north of 15Z, but I'd rather trust guidance from a schizophrenic monkey than the d3 SREFs.

Archived