Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Big Snow threat, what will it do, part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody have the feeling (trending) that this just doesn't get it's act together?

I'm on the train, bus whatever but not convinced this is modeled correctly. 

A very revealing 00Z suite, biggest since 12Z.

It's easy to forget sometimes how many different atmospheric components need to come together just right to cook up a decent coastal storm and have it go between the uprights.

It's easy to forget sometimes how many different atmospheric components need to come together just right to cook up a decent coastal storm and have it go between the uprights.

In general "we" are spoiled. It's a rare phenomena to get this (snow) type of storm. The last few years, many a FG have been scored. At least we're on the playing field with the right players in play. Question is do they do what they're suppose to do.   

The QPF Queens will be happy that the NAM still manages to string together 0.5-1.0" of liquid most of SNE... and bitter, bitter cold on Friday.

Even the "bad" solutions have all had that type of QPF...like half inch min. There's just such a sharp thermal boundary (and an arctic one at that) that it doesn't take much upglide to wring out a moderate snow event even if the best mid-level conveyor systems do not get their act together....tack on some low level flow out of the NE to add a bit of enhancement and here we are.

Even the "bad" solutions have all had that type of QPF...like half inch min. There's just such a sharp thermal boundary (and an arctic one at that) that it doesn't take much upglide to wring out a moderate snow event even if the best mid-level conveyor systems do not get their act together....tack on some low level flow out of the NE to add a bit of enhancement and here we are.

Yes, it seems at a minimum we get a nice snow event on Thursday. What we get Thursday night/Friday is more uncertain. 

I think the models are correct and this continues to be surpressed south. This large cold mass in place I just don't see how the two will phase and move up the coast. I think I will be lucky to get 2 inches here in Amherst, NH where this is a south of the pike storm down to NYC. Very similar to January 2009. Though this is just my opinion thoughts?

Archived