Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Emerging signal for storminess Jan 6-8

Typhoon Tip

Snowing here temp went from 39 to 32 in ten minutes, flash freeze seems likely

We're losing dewpoints too quickly for a real flash freeze...I mean the standing water will all freeze quickly tonight...but the "wet roads" type stuff that isn't standing water will mostly evaporate before it can freeze.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're losing dewpoints too quickly for a real flash freeze...I mean the standing water will all freeze quickly tonight...but the "wet roads" type stuff that isn't standing water will mostly evaporate before it can freeze.

hopefully as our roads are soaked, lots and lots of standing water around, probably because the piles are still around.

Possibly the shortest torch ever.  We hit 45 for about an hour.  Downtown Greenfield was 38F when we left still rain with flakes mixing in.

Back at the house it's 33F with -sn/pl

In the 5 years we've been here I've never seen the CAD perform this stubbornly.  It was in the 50's just south of here for hours.

This was downtown Greenfield an hour or so ago, still plenty of snow (and plenty of water in the streets from snow clogged drains).

attachicon.gif1-6a.jpg

Nice...Lenox can't hold snow for s***; I might as well be on Cape Cod. My 5" pack was completely vaporized down to nothing more than piles before we got a quick 1/2" with the CAA stuff on the backside. I'm getting a few lake effect flurries now drifting in on the WNW flow.

The exact same thing happened with the pre-Xmas torch where the western Pioneer Valley and lower east slope of the Berkshires (including Greenfield) was able to hold onto a thin, but persistent cold wedge. Consequently, there was some snow leftover up to about 1K-1.5K in elevation on the east slope. Once above there, it was bare ground, even at 2K+. The crest is definitely more vulnerable to torching than the lower to middle east slope. It looks like this torch did pretty much the exact same thing.

This is shaping up to be one of those winters where the CAD areas in NH and ME will build up a deep snow pack, while non-CAD areas have a transient pack that can't ever really establish itself.

It's really dark in my front yard, despite outdoor lighting, so here is my driveway and some wet grass where the snow did not stick:

ES_zps9d8ff144.jpg

nice, always great to get snow the same day it's in the upper 50s. Some will disagree but a 498 5H, temps in the single digits, low wind chills is very cool to see. Will not be surprised if someone lucks out with a 1-2 squall

Eek made a time lapse of my wx cam images going back to last night. CAD FTW.

http://www.newenglandwx.com/glazing.mp4

Actually that was very eerie.  Watch how the branches sag down as the night goes on and spring back up in the daylight.  By the way you should be able to play around with the focus with your Netcam and sharpen up your image quite a bit!

Actually that was very eerie.  Watch how the branches sag down as the night goes on and spring back up in the daylight.  By the way you should be able to play around with the focus with your Netcam and sharpen up your image quite a bit!

I have some things I need to play around with in Spring. It's facing due west right at the sun and it's a few feet above ground level. I'd like to get it higher up and point more northerly. I have some tough exposure issues with my current setup.

Archived