• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Emerging signal for storminess Jan 6-8

Typhoon Tip

Here is a rather coarse, sort of 50,000 foot view utilizing just the PNA.   The event frequency/distribution (spatial-temporal) actually does fit rather well.  It's evidenced at both the CDC and CPC versions of the teleconnector, but a bit more elaborate at the CDC so am using this annotation:

post-904-0-58139500-1388431029_thumb.jpg

The next in the series (post this Friday's kerfoffel...) would be timed during the Jan 6-8 period, a time in which a few operational runs and a few ensemble members are flagging an event. 

The Euro is extreme at 500mb like I have never seen.   492 dm height core with attendant nearing -30C at 850 over WI, while we run up +8C at 850 clear to nearly Boston, where the 500mb heights are around 552 dm (all this at D+168 hours) not only transcends absurdity, but also quite frankly settles right into the ECMWF's dig-and-build zealot behavior it has in the D6-10 range.    The amount of D7 lead time requires the perfunctory scrutiny, but the absurdity really adds to that.  I would be shocked if this/that solution survived even 3 additional modeling cycles.    

Having said all that ... yeah, I still see that Jan 6-8 in a fast progressive flow, that allows rapid turn-over of events, as a decent enough fit therein to think there should be something on the charts.  The GFS has it's own version of that event, with some vestigial suggestion for negative trough amplitude; it just doesn't bodily subsume the southern stream with the entire SPV like the Euro's mania attempts...

post-904-0-29230400-1388431678_thumb.jpg

That, and again ... these subtle PNA blips do tend to circuit impulses from off the Pac, ...finding their way into a positive feed-back over eastern N/A, during....  

Btw, going forward ... huge -EPO signaled, so the cold loading is likely to recur as we head into January.  

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a rather coarse, sort of 50,000 foot view utilizing just the PNA.   The event frequency/distribution (spatial-temporal) actually does fit rather well.  It's evidenced at both the CDC and CPC versions of the teleconnector, but a bit more elaborate at the CDC so am using this annotation:

attachicon.gifpna1.jpg

The next in the series (post this Friday's kerfoffel...) would be timed during the Jan 6-8 period, a time in which a few operational runs and a few ensemble members are flagging an event. 

The Euro is extreme at 500mb like I have never seen.   492 dm height core with attendant nearing -30C at 850 over WI, while we run up +8C at 850 clear to nearly Boston, where the 500mb heights are around 552 dm (all this at D+168 hours) not only transcends absurdity, but also quite frankly settles right into the ECMWF's dig-and-build zealot behavior it has in the D6-10 range.    The amount of D7 lead time requires the perfunctory scrutiny, but the absurdity really adds to that.  I would be shocked if this/that solution survived even 3 additional modeling cycles.    

Having said all that ... yeah, I still see that Jan 6-8 in a fast progressive flow, that allows rapid turn-over of events, as a decent enough fit therein to think there should be something on the charts.  The GFS has it's own version of that event, with some vestigial suggestion for negative trough amplitude; it just doesn't bodily subsume the southern stream with the entire SPV like the Euro's mania attempts...

attachicon.gifGFS.jpg

That, and again ... these subtle PNA blips do tend to circuit impulses from off the Pac, ...finding their way into a positive feed-back over eastern N/A, during....  

Btw, going forward ... huge -EPO signaled, so the cold loading is likely to recur as we head into January.  

No joke, Euro paints a picture that looks kinda similar to a certain coastal storm we had last year...  Not nearly as strong, but amazing to see how it pulls those airmasses around.  Crappy storm here though.ecmwfUS_850_temp_168.gif

BTV AFD from this afternoon:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

NEXT FULL LATITUDE TROF WITH DEVELOPING SFC LOW PRES WL IMPACT CWA
ON MONDAY. SYSTEM LOOKS TO HAVE PLENTY OF MOISTURE AND STRONG
DYNAMICS TO WORK WITH...SO STAY TUNED. TEMPS WL MODIFY TO NEAR
NORMAL BY EARLY NEXT WEEK...BUT ANOTHER SHOT OF COLD AIR ARRIVES
BY MID WEEK.

. I bet that is true more often than not

Someone, do a study on cutters and their correlation to weenie deflation

It is selective memory. If a storm goes over Detroit instead of Chicago, its a 200 mile bust by the models, but we think it "verified" because both solutions give us a rainstorm...so we incorrectly chalk it up as a "success" by the models.

A 200 mile shift when the original track was over the benchmark is either suppression depression or amped into a rainstorm, so we'll remember those vividly. Likewise, the model could be off by "only" 20 miles which is a solid performance, but some weenie who missed the heaviest precip by 10 miles will scream that the model was horrible because their backyard didn't get as much snow as the model said it would even if it was correct for 90% of the region.

It's just the nature of selective memory for us to have difficulty in seperating out the illusions from reality. I usually try and save as many model runs leading up to a storm here that I can, which helps in looking back to see which models were showing what if I forget what happened.

Archived