• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go a again ... and hits just keep on comin'

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1058 AM EST TUE DEC 31 2013

VALID 12Z FRI JAN 03 2014 - 12Z TUE JAN 07 2014

A VERY WINTRY SCENARIO IN THE EAST STARTS OFF THE MEDIUM RANGE FORECAST WITH A QUICK WARM UP IN THE CENTER OF THE COUNTRY. THE WARM UP IS SHORT LIVED AS A NEW AND SIGNIFICANT OUTBREAK OF COLDER AIR BEGINS TO ENTER THE NORTHERN ROCKIES AND PLAINS BY DAY 4/SATURDAY AND PROGRESSES EASTWARD BY SUNDAY DAY 5. WITH LARGE UNCERTAIN IT STILL APPEARS THAT SOME FORM OF PRECIPITATION EVENT WILL FORM IN ASSOCIATION WITH THIS NEXT OUTBREAK OF COLD AIR ON DAY 5 INTO DAY 6/MONDAY...WITH A HUGE RANGE OF SOLUTIONS FROM A FRONTAL PASSAGE TO A MAJOR CYCLONE. BY DAY 7/TUESDAY...MUCH OF THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN US IS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF BELOW TO MUCH BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES.

I'm a nerd ... so this is why I think so, but I am more blown away by the immensity of temperature swings the Euro is trying to sell us... -20C to +8C to -25C in like 72 hours... It's one thing to pull that off in the mountain with kadabatic this, and cold in the valley that... .but here we have synoptic scale push. 

I'm a nerd ... so this is why I think so, but I am more blown away by the immensity of temperature swings the Euro is trying to sell us... -20C to +8C to -25C in like 72 hours... It's one thing to pull that off in the mountain with kadabatic this, and cold in the valley that... .but here we have synoptic scale push. 

Jan 16-19, 1994 had -30C at 850 over us, then a storm which produced +5C, and back to -30C at 850 over us after the storm. We're talking like -3 to -3.5 SD cold shots book-ending a storm that produced rain at some point.

Jan 16-19, 1994 had -30C at 850 over us, then a storm which produced +5C, and back to -30C at 850 over us after the storm. We're talking like -3 to -3.5 SD cold shots book-ending a storm that produced rain at some point.

Right, I remember that, too --  I remember it was a blue tinted dawn with snow grains and flurries up at UML, 'bout 14F (though the low was actually colder).   The forecast was for the bust out by evening.  The temp rose like 1.25F per hour right through to dusk, when it finally touched 32F.   Light snow had broken out at some point during the interim, but flipped to light ZR at around 30F, so we did get a couple hours of light glazing.  I remember hitting the cafeteria for dinner 'round 7pm, and seeing the bushes outside the darked window had taken to a busy jostling, so something had come in...  Sure enough, I walked out into the common yard and it was like 55F!   I mean, vroom that came in in a hurry. The wind gusted over 30mph through midnight with occasional sheeting rains.  Steam rolled off of snow banks.

I learned then and there anything were possible in this part of the country.  

I think we can kind of see how the rest of this winter is going to go..For the snow pack fetish lovers like myself and Will..it's not going to be our year. It seems like we'll get these extreme cold periods and if timed right will get 1 or 2 decent snowfalls..and then an obnoxious cutter that really has no business happening will come along and wipe the ground to grass .maybe even into NNE at times...and then another surge of bitter air. Kind of reminiscent of the 80's. Def not going to be a prolific or epic winter

I think we can kind of see how the rest of this winter is going to go..For the snow pack fetish lovers like myself and Will..it's not going to be our year. It seems like we'll get these extreme cold periods and if timed right will get 1 or 2 decent snowfalls..and then an obnoxious cutter that really has no business happening will come along and wipe the ground to grass .maybe even into NNE at times...and then another surge of bitter air. Kind of reminiscent of the 80's. Def not going to be a prolific or epic winter

still +/-75 days of winter left...i don't know.

still +/-75 days of winter left...i don't know.

Well at the very least ..the talk of Leon Lett and 1994 should cease after this disaster. 

Maybe it's just me..but the thought of losing all the snow we're going to get the next 3 days tempers my enthusiasm somewhat for the storm. Don't get me wrong..I'm psyched for it..but it's like winning game 6 of the WS..already knowing your going to lose game 7.

Well at the very least ..the talk of Leon Lett and 1994 should cease after this disaster. 

Maybe it's just me..but the thought of losing all the snow we're going to get the next 3 days tempers my enthusiasm somewhat for the storm. Don't get me wrong..I'm psyched for it..but it's like winning game 6 of the WS..already knowing your going to lose game 7.

Or like the excitement of signing Jacoby Ellsbury only to realize the team will still miss the playoffs next year...

Its not a lock we get wiped out from the 1/7 storm...some of the guidance keeps us colder and shows signs of CAD...even icier. The milder rainy scenario is definitely a legit possibility, but I'd wait until we get more support for it before mentally erasing your snowpack. Euro in the D6 range can certainly be argued to have been over-zealous with its storm development this season (and last).

Its not a lock we get wiped out from the 1/7 storm...some of the guidance keeps us colder and shows signs of CAD...even icier. The milder rainy scenario is definitely a legit possibility, but I'd wait until we get more support for it before mentally erasing your snowpack. Euro in the D6 range can certainly be argued to have been over-zealous with its storm development this season (and last).

Hope so. Scooter's trolling worked. Got me all bummed out. 

Archived