Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Emerging signal for storminess Jan 6-8

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We figure by Thursday we'll have it back... but to be honest we've had three solid rainstorms in the last month, and business has been good, so it doesn't seem to really matter to people haha... The 3 day valley ice storm and higher elevation torch was much, much worse and more damaging though. This is kids play compared to that.

Just ran into a lady yesterday from Cambridge while XC skiing- that ice destroyed her sugarbush- she said everyone is scrambling to get things back in shape- but how that will happen is everyone's guess.  She said all her XC trails down in the valley are impassable.  Above ~1000ft really got spared- as driving toward Underhill from Cambridge, the localized damage to the hardwood forests was pretty devastating in pockets.  Hopefully this torch today got the rest of the ice off of those trees.  Droopy birch city everywhere in that area.

Not sure if it is net gain when you lose a good percentage and end with a dusting to an inch.

The Champlain Valley snowpack is pretty much consigned to an afterthought as most folks care about the higher terrain.  

I'm still waiting for this person called Leon. I've been told by Steve/Jerry wall-to-wall balls cold with a parade of snowstorms. So far, one snowstorm and rather benign cold. Looks pretty tame for another 10 days too.

link? Odd because my six week which I posted here called for the Grinch storm and this +4 -+ 6 above normal period, made on 11/22 by the way or did you just ignore that, reading comprehension FTL

Lol at people 150% above normal climo snow and -2/-4 since November calling this season normal. Climo is a b**ch, snow melts south of the Pike in winter, imagine that.

People get grumpy during torches on here. Start spouting hyperbole.

Its been a good start. Without a -NAO, cutters are always a risk.

Bob had a ordinary cold shot of -10 below the other day, cheap cold if u will. Departures prolly cpl below since novie.

This winter has had repeated arctic blasts , cpl standard deviations below ave. it has also had a cpl torches but most do, and today's is very brief.

Either way lets just get to the 16'th of January and see how things are lookin.

People who never make a forecast should stick to obs. Monday morning quarterbacks are the worst.

I think the idea I had of oscillating cold and warmth has worked out fine.  When we're cold it's brutal when we're warm it's like Florida at night.  The number of cold days outweighs the number of warm days by about 4 to 1...but we will continue to see this oscillating pattern and we run the risk of having the numbers move back more towards even etc.

We've been very fortunate so far but times...they may be a changing.  Week 2 to 3 progs are always dodgy.   Here's to hoping that yet again we're in winters good graces.  I'm not sold on a return to the same type of pattern after MLK yet.

Brutal at times yes, but not wall to wall when it's 60 out and we've got 5-10 days punctuated by one cold snap.

Some of the numbers are impressive on snow totals but again...that's the fastest I've ever seen 14-15" vanish.  It was mostly gone before we hit 40. 

Just ran into a lady yesterday from Cambridge while XC skiing- that ice destroyed her sugarbush- she said everyone is scrambling to get things back in shape- but how that will happen is everyone's guess.  She said all her XC trails down in the valley are impassable.  Above ~1000ft really got spared- as driving toward Underhill from Cambridge, the localized damage to the hardwood forests was pretty devastating in pockets.  Hopefully this torch today got the rest of the ice off of those trees.  Droopy birch city everywhere in that area.

The Champlain Valley snowpack is pretty much consigned to an afterthought as most folks care about the higher terrain.  

True, but I think the higher terrain lost in this as well. I am someone who cares about ski conditions as well.

I suppose it's possible that some light snow may clip CT/RI and eastern Mass later on, as the cold jolts in and that ANA stuff down over the MA continues to streak NE... It just appears that way by now-cast.  Also, the 12z NAM has a bit of a QPF bulge passing through as the temps crash this afternoon.   Have to see... 

Otherwise, stunning 2 day turn-around in temperatures on a synoptic scale.   

link? Odd because my six week which I posted here called for the Grinch storm and this +4 -+ 6 above normal period, made on 11/22 by the way or did you just ignore that, reading comprehension FTL

January 1994, this is not.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBOS/1994/1/6/MonthlyHistory.html

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42189-emerging-signal-for-storminess-jan-6-8/?p=2619160

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42189-emerging-signal-for-storminess-jan-6-8/?p=2618394

I think the idea I had of oscillating cold and warmth has worked out fine. When we're cold it's brutal when we're warm it's like Florida at night. The number of cold days outweighs the number of warm days by about 4 to 1...but we will continue to see this oscillating pattern and we run the risk of having the numbers move back more towards even etc.

We've been very fortunate so far but times...they may be a changing. Week 2 to 3 progs are always dodgy. Here's to hoping that yet again we're in winters good graces.

Brutal at times yes, but not wall to wall when it's 60 out and we've got 5-10 days punctuated by one cold snap.

I have laid out my thoughts, you did too, if you look at my forecast I have been on the Yo Yo train since late Oct. The Leon stuff is fun but when the pattern was like 94 it was dead nuts Leon. matter of fact the 11 day Ens analogs again show 1994 in the list. I just am looking forward to when 2014 walks in the door.

People get grumpy during torches on here. Start spouting hyperbole.

Its been a good start. Without a -NAO, cutters are always a risk.

Kevin is the only one who appears grumpy from what I can tell.  I personally don't care if it snows or not or if we lose snowpack or not.  I can't control the weather so I have no emotional attachment  I will continue to play the anti-Leon until it comes thru the door.  Thus far, January 1994 this is not.

Care to elaborate? I was living in Boston from 1992-1996 so I lived those winters.

January 1994 had a ton more snow that this January. I believe Boston had over 33" that month. What are they at now? That won't change till at least mid-month.

care to retract about you saying I called for wall to wall cold and snow? The pattern at times was very similar and in fact many many much more talented people than you, Jerry or I referred to the similarities. Reload times, congrats on 60,get out in the Mud and enjoy.

Its quite possible we get southwesterly winds for a time on Tuesday as the core of the cold air moves overhead.  I think delta Ts near 20-25C and with a strong band in development on Tuesday I think it can clip Nantucket and the Outer Cape tomorrow.  NWS mentions CAPE over 600j/kg.  I think this will end up surprising some of us.

True, but I think the higher terrain lost in this as well. I am someone who cares about ski conditions as well.

snowpack will be OK in the mts I think- water bars and stream crossing- well, that's a different story.  Outside of groomed/snowmaking- wil probably be on hold for a while.

Did the ~100F water test just with ~12 oz of water here in Burlington- couldn't melt a hole through it.   This snowpack is already resilient, and it hasn't had time to set up just yet.

Archived