joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 29th System

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's try to get some snow with the cold. Bare ground and 492 thicknesses aren't cool.

They're FRIGID.

I feel like we're back to early DEC.  It had been cold and it felt like it would always warm up just in time for a storm system to become a rainer.  But most of the area got at least some snows out of the month.  Let's see how this evolves.

So long as ski country gets the snow they badly need, I'll take a 33F rain at home. The seasonal snowfall total's for alot of the major players is in the 25-45" range which is really meager for this time of year.

Let me be frank. If I have to rain while they snow, I'm not consoled. If they smoke cirrus while I'm snowing, I'm happy. I don't give a shiat about SR but do care a lot about snow in the Boston area. Call me evil.

So long as ski country gets the snow they badly need, I'll take a 33F rain at home. The seasonal snowfall total's for alot of the major players is in the 25-45" range which is really meager for this time of year.

I think you are missing out on some great skiing from what I hear from a lot, you are underestimating how whatever snow they have has stayed on the slopes plus the snowmaking has been going non stop. 

If this comes to fruition it will be a pretty epic Dec.

20+" so far, counting today.

Not quite in the epic category in my opinion.  Decent for sure.  But losing the bulk of the snow this past week (noticed that 400-500' lower held on much better than higher up) puts a big obstacle in considering it epic.

24.6" so far counting today.

It essentially held its ground.....just such a sensitive scenaro.

I'd go 2-5" for now, and hedge up if necessary.

Never a good sign when the run analysis is kicked off with a post from Dendrite proclaiming that it looks good for his area. lol

LOL--always read with caution.

I'll consider anything above an inch or two a win in this setup....considering 2-3 days ago that Sunday looked like a downslope dandy with highs near 50F. I'll take some rain with 2-3 inches of scenic paste to end it if that's what we settle on instead.

Basically anything in this is a bonus. Its a synoptically "ugly" look if that primary stays stronger....that is originally the feature that was going to give us a nice SW sfc flow for our downslope dandy before the southern stream got involved and threw a wrench in this forecast.

Any snow beats no snow.

Yes. But I was responding to the sanctimonious "ok for me to rain for the ski areas to snow". It's actually not....lol.

Well people can wish for whatever they want. Those who ski up here from SNE probably would prefer a good snowfall in the mtns before they have a trip planned.

It's nice when we all get involved in the fun though. Jan 2011 was fun considering how many received a big snowfall, but some always get left out. I just wish we didn't have to read so many F NNE/F SNE posts. Mother Nature doesn't give a damn. If I smoke cirrus and you get blitzed then so be it. :)

I wish I could see hr. 81-84 on the WU EURO maps.  At 87, that 0C 850 line is straddling Rt. 128.  Get that secondary a bit stronger and its bombs away.  Even a little bubble of < 0C at 850 by the Canal on the EURO at hr. 87.

Euro verbatim flips some people to snow and gives 2-4"...with the most N of the pike. But verbatim solutions are not all that useful at this time range.

It's clearly intensity driven. So if the euro has a 984 low near ACK it would be a paste bomb to 128. That will take a while to figure out. However, the airmass is putrid ahead of it so a ton of work needs to be down outside of CNE and 1K hiils. If you get 2 sloppy inches at the end of this abomination..you are blessed.

It's clearly intensity driven. So if the euro has a 984 low near ACK it would be a paste bomb to 128. That will take a while to figure out. However, the airmass is putrid ahead of it so a ton of work needs to be down outside of CNE and 1K hiils. If you get 2 sloppy inches at the end of this abomination..you are blessed.

I'll take Kevin's advice and plan (actually hope is more like it at this point) for 1-2.

I think you are missing out on some great skiing from what I hear from a lot, you are underestimating how whatever snow they have has stayed on the slopes plus the snowmaking has been going non stop. 

The reports on Snowjournal and Killingtonzone are kind of meh, nothing great. I've been skiing for 32 years and done this thaw/freeze snowmaking blitz many times. I'll take a wait and see for freshies opportunities next week.

I've got free tickets to Berkshire East, Magic and Killington, I'm just waiting for the right time to use them.

Im not sure what you're asking, but that's what I'm planning on for now

I think it's too early to "plan" on anything.  Hope, wish, fine.  Maybe just semantics, but I wouldn't plan on anything other than preciptiation at this point.  The thing's 3.5 days out and there is so much 'wrong' with this wrt to snow possiiblities south of CNE. 

Let me be frank. If I have to rain while they snow, I'm not consoled. If they smoke cirrus while I'm snowing, I'm happy. I don't give a shiat about SR but do care a lot about snow in the Boston area. Call me evil.

I can't really do any meaningfull skiing in the Boston vicinity nor here in the Alps of Northeastern Connecticut, so I could care less if it snow's in either place as far as skiiing is concerned + the mountain economy could really use snow at this holiday timepoint.

MPM, you live in NW MA at 1100'. Seriously...I want to slap you sometimes. You are fine. Good God.

Scott--at this time frame, I think it's crazy to think I'm fine.  Sure, better than most SNE folks (actually, per my poll, perhaps all lol).  But this could easily track further NW with a stronger primary dashing any hope for here.

Just looking at the possibilities.

Scott--at this time frame, I think it's crazy to think I'm fine.  Sure, better than most SNE folks (actually, per my poll, perhaps all lol).  But this could easily track further NW with a stronger primary dashing any hope for here.

Just looking at the possibilities.

You worry way too much and then get dumped on. Sure it might not be all snow, but in the grand scheme of things..you look fine relative to all of us.

Archived