12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 29th System

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torch prone except for Stowe. Mtns of Maine are forever cold and synoptic snow weenie spots. Only thing missing is daily upslope unless you are on the ridge lines of wrn ME. Or just move to Pittsburg NH.

East slopes would be fine... not nearly the CAD of NH/ME but on the east side of the Spine, the warmth on SW winds usually just goes over the top and it takes a while to warm.  I know you guys in eastern New England associate more with the ME/NH spots, but the main differences from say VT to ME is the trade off between better snowpack building abilities due to CAD during torches, and just more total snowfall (and much more frequent snowfall).  But I still haven't seen my front yard since a week before Thanksgiving, so its not god awful at snow preservation in these parts, but we are definitely prone to more torching in thaws than NH/ME. 

I think that's what makes Pittsburg NH the weenie winner... CAD and upslope.  But east slopes up near Jay Peak would be very comparable and the northern tier of the NE Kingdom in VT where they get under-the-radar upslope.

Mike, make the move..go west about 10 miles till your at 1800' on upper E slope. Man what a weenie spot. Also how is the second home ....search going. Last GTG I saw you at your were thinking Foothills of maine...or Jackson and I was trying to convince you to go to the Green Mountain Spine.

I've been eyeing a place at nearly 2100', but that's more a dream than a reality at this point.

For the second house, we got outbid on one in Bartlett so my wife put in a pool instead.  Me, ftl.  Now will likely hold-off on another purchase until my daughter graduates from VT in 3 years.   Sometimes, we throw caution to the wind though, so you never know!

If I could work from home I'd live in Pittsburg.

I do work from home.  If it was just me............

You'd just have to rely on Direct TV for internet :o

Much of GC is limited to satellite internet--it totally sucks.  That's all we had when we moved down here.  You had limited downloads during peak hours (which was essentially 20 hours of the day).  They were free though from like 1:00a.m. to 5:00a.m.  And, it was slow as hell.

On to weather stuff.....

My wife has just thrown out the idea of heading to Jackson Sunday-Tuesday.  Concerned about having to return to a snow-filled driveway.  More concerned about the temps.  What's the take on temps on Monday up there?  That would be the 'full ski' day.  If it's going to be a good snow here and cold, can just head to Notchview instead.  TIA.

Ya extreme Northern NH at like 2k is great...cept for lack of anything to do. lol. I mean if you like complete solace then ya ...or snowmobile paradise. There are prolly spots in N NH 2-2.5 K that get 225-250 annually.

I need the skiing and Nite life..of say Stowe or at least Burlington nearby for some females ....I don't wanna be the guy getting overly friendly with the cows in N NH.  lol sorry.

East slopes would be fine... not nearly the CAD of NH/ME but on the east side of the Spine, the warmth on SW winds usually just goes over the top and it takes a while to warm.  I know you guys in eastern New England associate more with the ME/NH spots, but the main differences from say VT to ME is the trade off between better snowpack building abilities due to CAD during torches, and just more total snowfall (and much more frequent snowfall).  But I still haven't seen my front yard since a week before Thanksgiving, so its not god awful at snow preservation in these parts, but we are definitely prone to more torching in thaws than NH/ME. 

I think that's what makes Pittsburg NH the weenie winner... CAD and upslope.  But east slopes up near Jay Peak would be very comparable and the northern tier of the NE Kingdom in VT where they get under-the-radar upslope.

Yeah I mean Stowe obviously has the snow frequency which is great. Besides Jay Peak you guys are likely the winners in the state regarding snow. I'll definitely have to weenie out there one weekend.

Ya extreme Northern NH at like 2k is great...cept for lack of anything to do. lol. I mean if you like complete solace then ya ...or snowmobile paradise. There are prolly spots in N NH 2-2.5 K that get 225-250 annually.

I need the skiing and Nite life..of say Stowe or at least Burlington nearby for some females ....I don't wanna be the guy getting overly friendly with the cows in N NH.  lol sorry.

Yeah there is a lack a skiing opportunities up there. As far as snowmobiling its heaven from there to Rangley to Jackman. Hundreds of miles of groomed trails. I go up there to fish in the summer too, it is an awesome area. Id love to have a vacation house up there, not necessarily live up there year round. 

There are big gradients up there too. The area around the town of Pittsburg gets considerably less upslope than up near the First CT lake, likewise theres generally 2x the snowpack up on the ridges ENE of the lake.

Our kicker southern stream system that moves the southern stream system out of the GOM for the SUnday period is coming onshore in about 24 hours or so.  This will help determine the speed of the southern stream lead disturbance over the GOM.  If this system can come in slower than we have a better chance at being colder as the storm comes up the coast.  NAM is kind of fast still, doesn't dive the northern stream, instead it peters out over the Northeast instead of where the GFS digs it into the Southern Plains.  Big difference.

Yeah there is a lack a skiing opportunities up there. As far as snowmobiling its heaven from there to Rangley to Jackman. Hundreds of miles of groomed trails. I go up there to fish in the summer too, it is an awesome area. Id love to have a vacation house up there, not necessarily live up there year round. 

There are big gradients up there too. The area around the town of Pittsburg gets considerably less upslope than up near the First CT lake, likewise theres generally 2x the snowpack up on the ridges ENE of the lake.

Some who never have had the oppurtunity to hit the ITS trails by sled in the Rangely, Eustis, Grand Falls over to Bulldog Camp area, A trip to the top of Coburn Mtn at 3,717' ,Then to Jackman and to Moosehead Lake don't know what they are missing, It is simply awesome, Trails are well groomed flat and fast, Flipper on the bar riding for a good portion of it

Well all of them are 0.3F away from a meh bomb. I'll get more snow from a POS low with SE winds today, then a BM track low with NE winds Sunday. :lol:

NAM has something down the pipe over the central Plains 84 hours out.  Could be a phantom disturbance that shows up in the NAM long range, but it will be interesting to see if the GFS has this system as well.  

Archived