Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 29th System

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reports on Snowjournal and Killingtonzone are kind of meh, nothing great. I've been skiing for 32 years and done this thaw/freeze snowmaking blitz many times. I'll take a wait and see for freshies opportunities next week.

I've got free tickets to Berkshire East, Magic and Killington, I'm just waiting for the right time to use them.

I would give it a 6-7 at Sunday River today. Some trails were great (left). Jordan was skied off early we heard and there's some hard packed ice on some of the trails easily accessible from the main areas. They definitely are pouring snow on it and we have had a few inches today. I expect it'll be a 7-8 on Friday and probably a ten by Monday.

I can't really do any meaningfull skiing in the Boston vicinity nor here in the Alps of Northeastern Connecticut, so I could care less if it snow's in either place as far as skiiing is concerned + the mountain economy could really use snow at this holiday timepoint.

Those that ski like yourself appreciate it and understand its uses, But everyone is different in there reasoning's for snow but should not run any area under the bus for its pluses or minuses

Let me be frank. If I have to rain while they snow, I'm not consoled. If they smoke cirrus while I'm snowing, I'm happy. I don't give a shiat about SR but do care a lot about snow in the Boston area. Call me evil.

I can't really do any meaningfull skiing in the Boston vicinity nor here in the Alps of Northeastern Connecticut, so I could care less if it snow's in either place as far as skiiing is concerned + the mountain economy could really use snow at this holiday timepoint.

Your wishes and mine won't effect things. Mountain economy aside, I'd rather snow imby. I like local snow shoe activity and plain hiking. No longer keen on downhill skiing.

Scott--at this time frame, I think it's crazy to think I'm fine.  Sure, better than most SNE folks (actually, per my poll, perhaps all lol).  But this could easily track further NW with a stronger primary dashing any hope for here.

Just looking at the possibilities.

Has there been a storm where you haven't been worried yet? I think there's always a QPF or mix/rain worry. ;)

Well people can wish for whatever they want. Those who ski up here from SNE probably would prefer a good snowfall in the mtns before they have a trip planned.

It's nice when we all get involved in the fun though. Jan 2011 was fun considering how many received a big snowfall, but some always get left out. I just wish we didn't have to read so many F NNE/F SNE posts. Mother Nature doesn't give a damn. If I smoke cirrus and you get blitzed then so be it. :)

update your sig

I would give it a 6-7 at Sunday River today. Some trails were great (left). Jordan was skied off early we heard and there's some hard packed ice on some of the trails easily accessible from the main areas. They definitely are pouring snow on it and we have had a few inches today. I expect it'll be a 7-8 on Friday and probably a ten by Monday.

Sounds great, Coventry seems like a perfect conditions only kind of guy lately. Meh its Eastern skiing, after what just happened you must be enthralled. Mid week there coming up will be off the hook good.

On second thought ... this kind of remains me of that system earlier in the season that was also a Miller-A type runner, and the GFS was trying to bring a 2" accretion mess to ORH...   If you recall, I think that one ended up being mostly liquid and positive score for the Euro, but perhaps my memory is skewed. 

You worry way too much and then get dumped on. Sure it might not be all snow, but in the grand scheme of things..you look fine relative to all of us.

Lol, I laugh at his post, He is in a great spot most of the time in Mass along with the hoarhubb

He balances Kevin's overconfidence well.

LOL at the posts.

Keep in mind two things:

1) I'm not in the same area as Pete.  I'd be much more confident if I were 10 miles northwest of here.  In fact, I probably wouldn't give a sh*t over p-type concerns 95% of the time.

2) I get influenced by the angst shared by the board over p-type concerns, be they due to track or other issues.

Now back to my coffee as we await the NAM.  :)

LOL at the posts.

Keep in mind two things:

1) I'm not in the same area as Pete.  I'd be much more confident if I were 10 miles northwest of here.  In fact, I probably wouldn't give a sh*t over p-type concerns 95% of the time.

2) I get influenced by the angst shared by the board over p-type concerns, be they due to track or other issues.

You shovel more worry than anyone in the entirety of NE. FYI I saw Petes magic first hand this weekend, amazing how his area holds snow in the worst conditions.

I think tomorrow is perfect for skiing VT. not too cold some fresh snow. 

After new years the arctic hounds will be howling! man I remember how the NW wind can absolutely RIP at stowe, it was quite distrurbing some of the wind gusts and cold. When the arctic air is rushing in...on NW winds....you really don't wanna be out up there. Just my opinion but I'm sure powder freak can attest to the NW winds just ripping. This is pretty much true for a lot of ski areas in NNE ....esp Wildcat.

LOL at the posts.

Keep in mind two things:

Mike, make the move..go west about 10 miles till your at 1800' on upper E slope. Man what a weenie spot. Also how is the second home ....search going. Last GTG I saw you at your were thinking Foothills of maine...or Jackson and I was trying to convince you to go to the Green Mountain Spine.

Mike, make the move..go west about 10 miles till your at 1800' on upper E slope. Man what a weenie spot. Also how is the second home ....search going. Last GTG I saw you at your were thinking Foothills of maine...or Jackson and I was trying to convince you to go to the Green Mountain Spine.

Torch prone except for Stowe. Mtns of Maine are forever cold and synoptic snow weenie spots. Only thing missing is daily upslope unless you are on the ridge lines of wrn ME. Or just move to Pittsburg NH.

Torch prone except for Stowe. Mtns of Maine are forever cold and synoptic snow weenie spots. Only thing missing is daily upslope unless you are on the ridge lines of wrn ME. Or just move to Pittsburg NH.

Yes!

Pittsburg rules!

I think tomorrow is perfect for skiing VT. not too cold some fresh snow. 

After new years the arctic hounds will be howling! man I remember how the NW wind can absolutely RIP at stowe, it was quite distrurbing some of the wind gusts and cold. When the arctic air is rushing in...on NW winds....you really don't wanna be out up there. Just my opinion but I'm sure powder freak can attest to the NW winds just ripping. This is pretty much true for a lot of ski areas in NNE ....esp Wildcat.

Yeah obviously depends on the wind direction but NW is historically the strongest winds at most ski areas like Jay Peak, Smuggs, Stowe, up in these parts... however NW wind is also our snow wind a lot of the time, so there's the trade off.

If we are getting a true arctic blast with like -20 to -30C at H85 and a nice 40kt NW flow... yeah it gets brutal.  Its why I'm not a big fan of big cold...normal is plenty cold enough this time of year, lol. 

Archived