• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

It redevelops well south but the primary is so strong it doesn't matter. Right in between the gfs and euro is a big storm for us. Blend is the smart call right? Lol

Pretty sure someone gets a major storm here. Maybe not our subforum but we may end up being slightly happy.

I don't see the secondary...but it's late....looks like just a strong primary on a Cleveland to Rochester to Burlington track

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see the secondary...but it's late....looks like just a strong primary on a Cleveland to Rochester to Burlington track

It's just noise bit I'm seeing a sub 1k surface low in far ne sc @ 216 and 988 off of oc @ 222. Totally overpowered by the primary so it's insignificant either way verbatim.

I'm not sure the last time if ever that I've seen sub 500 heights kissing the mason Dixon. But wow, it's an extreme run.

This threat is likely threadworthy soon but the peaks and valleys of emotions will make northern Nevada look flat.

Merry Xmas everyone. 6Z is wretched with nothing but a warm rainstorm over the next 10 days.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone else. GFS has gone through a pretty massive change for Sunday . Kinda makes you nervous about putting faith in it at longer leads. I can't see the ens members for Sunday on this 6z run so I don't know if it's an outlier.

I don't like the low in Michigan that is now positioned about a 1000 miles different that it was at 12z but I do like seeing that coast hugging low to our se. Put that there enough times this year and we'll cash in on it.

Still, awfully big changes in a short period of time.

they're hard to get....those 3-4" storms that gave us school closings as kids, probably mixed or changed over and we just dont remember

Hmm..not that hard to get. I lived in Westminster for many years, and now the upper eastern shore for quite a while, and in both places (altho climo is quite different) there have been plenty of all snow events over the years. Some people just continue to have unrealistic expectations, despite living in this region their whole lives. There are always gonna be more rain/mix events than pure snow during the winter in these parts.

Edit: just off the top of my head, even in the "lean" winters since 2009-10, I remember 3, 3 inch+ all snow events: 5.5 inches in the day after Xmas storm that mostly missed DC-Balt, last winter's over-performing clipper (eastern MD,DE,SNJ), 3.5", and last March storm- 5 inches.

Hmm..not that hard to get. I lived in Westminster for many years, and now the upper eastern shore for quite a while, and in both places (altho climo is quite different) there have been plenty of all snow events over the years. Some people just continue to have unrealistic expectations, despite living in this region their whole lives. There are always gonna be more rain/mix events than pure snow during the winter in these parts.

Edit: just off the top of my head, even in the "lean" winters since 2009-10, I remember 3, 3 inch+ all snow events: 5.5 inches in the day after Xmas storm that mostly missed DC-Balt, last winter's over-performing clipper (eastern MD,DE,SNJ), 3.5", and last March storm- 5 inches.

I dont think that there are unrealistic expectations.  The fact that it can't snow more then 2 inches at DCA for like three years is anomalous.  Hold on that is an understatement... it is just plain devastating for snow lovers.. heartbreaking.    I know some of the surrounding areas have done a little better...you may have lucked out here and there...but that DCA snow drought is the elephant in the room... it is epicenter for all that has been wrong.  

There should have been at least one widespread 2-4 inch event that does the job.   That is not too much to ask for.  That is not unrealistic.  

I dont think that there are unrealistic expectations.  The fact that it can't snow more then 2 inches at DCA for like three years is anomalous.  Hold on that is an understatement... it is just plain devastating for snow lovers.. heartbreaking.    I know some of the surrounding areas have done a little better...you may have lucked out here and there...but that DCA snow drought is the elephant in the room... it is epicenter for all that has been wrong.  

There should have been at least one widespread 2-4 inch event that does the job.   That is not too much to ask for.  That is not unrealistic.  

Agreed on the DC snow drought. Point was, we do see moderate, all snow events...they aren't that rare, outside of this recent odd streak. But even so, we will see rain or slop events more often in most winters. That is what should be expected, outside of an anomalous winter like 09-10, where the pattern was near ideal.

Have you guys seen this page? Has 20 members plus op and the mean. I'd never seen this one. Pretty cool. It's going to be interesting to see what the gfs does with Sunday, what was a dry day about 18 hours ago. Here's the link and a screenshot.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/products/gefsplots/

pyjeju8a.jpg

With the low to our north it will be hard to get any cold air in time to do anything with the low.   The ensembles that show precip are pretty rainy for us....even for you it doesn't look good. 

Well,

It says yes to cold air at that time frame and no to a storm.  BUT given the model's tendency to overdue H pressures to the north, I'd say this is a much better solution than 6z.  At least the southern stream is relatively active in that timeframe. 

If you are looking at gross statistics just for the GFS over the past 2 days of runs for the hour 216 storm..

7/8 runs have shown some type of winter precip.

4/8 runs have shown all frozen

3/8 runs have shown some frozen and some rain

1/8 runs have essentially shown a non-event

As far as a trend- I'm not sure this is one now especially since the euro just went bonkers on precip at 0z.

With the low to our north it will be hard to get any cold air in time to do anything with the low. The ensembles that show precip are pretty rainy for us....even for you it doesn't look good.

Oh yeah I know. What got my attention was the fact that on yesterday's 12z ens there wasn't a member that had precip within 400 miles. I'll bet today's 12z ens will have precip here on practically every member. That's a pretty big change.

With the low to our north it will be hard to get any cold air in time to do anything with the low. The ensembles that show precip are pretty rainy for us....even for you it doesn't look good.

Yea, that one never stood a chance. I wish it would stay offshore like it was modeled days ago. We've been prog'd to be warm with the low to the north for a lot of runs now. Nothing can change that.

I think nye bears watching. Sneaky vort rotating around below us. It's too far south on the 12z run but i never ignore vorts passing below us. It would be a localized event and pretty small but it could produce some accum snow.

Yea, that one never stood a chance. I wish it would stay offshore like it was modeled days ago. We've been prog'd to be warm with the low to the north for a lot of runs now. Nothing can change that.

I think nye bears watching. Sneaky vort rotating around below us. It's too far south on the 12z run but i never ignore vorts passing below us. It would be a localized event and pretty small but it could produce some accum snow.

A change that big in such a short time relatively close in time has to give anybody looking at storms beyond New Years a good deal of pause. Plus, the weather on Sunday has to play a role in the weather beyond.

It's a huge change in 24 hours time.

And this isn't just an op change. It's an entire ensemble.

It's worth watching, as you say it would be a light event even if it sharpened some.

I'd say yes as the 500 has room to be sharper than it is.  However, the way the progs are jumping around at that time range,  I wouldn't take any model forecasts very seriously for a particular day. 

Archived