• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

My WAG, is we will have to deal with a vortex in somewhat bad position the rest of the winter.  It is probably the most stable feature we have seen.  It will keep getting replaced.  So we are going to have to figure out ways to get snow despite this impediment.

If so that will make your winter call a decent one though the 1st 5 days on Jan are going to be on the cold side.  The trough shifting into the west should give us another warm spell down the road.  If we can build back the ridge into AK, we might get another spell like early dec but with colder air.  Messy but might get a modest event and then ice or something. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If so that will make your winter call a decent one though the 1st 5 days on Jan are going to be on the cold side.  The trough shifting into the west should give us another warm spell down the road.  If we can build back the ridge into AK, we might get another spell like early dec but with colder air.  Messy but might get a modest event and then ice or something. 

Yeah...+2 is still pretty cold in January.  Would be a -2 in December and a -1 in February, so we will still have some meaningful cold shots...I'm hoping climo overwhelms the so-so pattern and we can get a 3-5" event.

Complicated interaction with the 2 vorts remains. Not a fan of the pos tilt on this run but a southern low pops. Tough tough forecast. 

yeah...we do get some post frontal snow, but I am not sure what the temp profiles will be like and we never do very well with that scenario. I don't think it is as tough as a forecast as you.  We are probably looking at a cartopper - 1" at some point...perhaps 2 episodes...I imagine I might be able to record 0.5" during the period which will get me to 2" on the season

yeah...we do get some post frontal snow, but I am not sure what the temp profiles will be like and we never do very well with that scenario. I don't think it is as tough as a forecast as you.  We are probably looking at a cartopper - 1" at some point...perhaps 2 episodes...I imagine I might be able to record 0.5" during the period which will get me to 2" on the season

Surface goes below freezing somewhere between 162/165. Light event verbatim. 

I think it's a pretty complicated forecast in that we could have rain, rain and snow, dry, or snow. I guess the easy part is that if it snows nothing shows a good event. The vorts and tracks have zero consensus. 

Surface goes below freezing somewhere between 162/165. Light event verbatim. 

I think it's a pretty complicated forecast in that we could have rain, rain and snow, dry, or snow. I guess the easy part is that if it snows nothing shows a good event. The vorts and tracks have zero consensus. 

we saw a similar pattern 2/1-2 this year, and we got some random snows,...I think 0.5" twice or something like that....that is probably the best we are going to do in an adverse pattern with pieces dancing around...

More precip is rain less precip is snow. U know the drill. I was hoping it would go back to its solution from 4-5 days ago

I do know the drill. Expect nothing and still get mad when something isn't enough. 

I don't even want a perfect solution right now. No kidding either. It will only be a rug that gets pulled. We want our good solutions starting on Monday. 

6z had a lot more precip. Subtle difference in evolution though. Maybe not so subtle. Happy hour is gonna rock. 

We know the drill...northern stream nonsense when it is cold.  I will have to decide whether I got 0.4" or 0.5" and someone from Lancaster, PA who hasn't posted since December 10th will post a banal, generic shot of 4" on his deck railing.

Ugly run....hardly any precip for us

Its not awful. Its one op run. Any op run of any global model in this pattern, and at this lead time, should be looked at for mostly amusement purposes. The ensembles of both the Euro and the GFS have had a pretty consistent signal for a possible light to moderate event sometime late next week. 

Here ya go, Ji. 

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION
NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD
1053 AM EST FRI DEC 27 2013

VALID 12Z MON DEC 30 2013 - 12Z FRI JAN 03 2014

":...WINTRY PATTERN FOR THE EASTERN UNITED STATES...

USED THE 00Z/27 ECMWF FOR THE FRONTS AND PRESSURES FOR DAYS 3-5, SWITCHING TO THE 00Z/27 ECENS MEAN THEREAFTER TO MITIGATE THE
INCREASING SPREAD IN DETERMINISTIC SOLUTIONS AT THAT TIME RANGE. THE 00Z/27 AND 06Z/27 MODEL CYCLES SAW A REVERSAL IN POSITIONS OF
THE GFS CAMP VERSUS THE EUROPEAN CENTRE FROM YESTERDAY, WITH THE GFS WARMING THE EASTERN UNITED STATES BY DAY 6 AND THE ECMWF AND
ECENS MEAN COOLING THE SAME REGION. TRIED TO KEEP CONTINUITY WITH THE MANUAL CHOICES FROM YESTERDAY. BESIDES THE NEXT ARCTIC
ONSLAUGHT INTO THE UPPER MIDWEST, GREAT LAKES, AND SAINT LAWRENCE VALLEY, IT APPEARS AS IF THE MID ATLANTIC STATES MAY BE MORE VULNERABLE TO ACCUMULATING SNOW DAYS 6 AND 7. ROUGHLY TWENTY PERCENT OF THE 00Z/27 ECENS MEMBERS INDICATE BETTER THAN A HALF-INCH LIQUID EQUIVALENT FOR THAT REGION. A COUPLE MEMBERS DEPICT A MAJOR SNOWSTORM. FOR NOW, WILL REFLECT A MODEST QUARTER-INCH FOR THE MID ATLANTIC IN THE 00Z/28 DAYS 6-7 QPF...."

I honestly think we have an event on our hands next week.   I'm actually kinda excited.  Look at how that desert s/w just all of a sudden showed up on the GFS starting with last night's run.   

I agree.  This could be a sneaky widespread minor event (which is better than what we have had).  I'm honestly surprised by the lack of consistency on the op Euro the last couple of runs.  The changes from run to run in the pattern even in the medium range is concerning.  It's hard to get behind any event until the Euro op shows snow (which it has not for 1/2-1/3)

Archived