joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is showing suppression with the early January period. Which is what I was worried about a few days ago. Could be tough to get moisture to us with the PV that far south. It is in the long range and obviously details will completely change. But I still think that solution is on the table.

Of course a suppressed solution is possible.   I found it interesting that a number of euro ensemble members forecast some snow in the Jan 1-3 time range, generally light amounts but enough to keep some interest in that time range despite the look on the operational models. 

We get a dusting on the GFS from the second arctic shot on the 2nd.  The vort gets strung out by 159 hrs but we are cold

Yea, the pv is elongated to the n and keeps the flow pretty flat in front. Could sharpen or shear to oblivion. At least there is consistency with a piece of energy associated with the front and not just a pixie dust fropa. Some snow in that period is gaining some consensus. Maybe the stars align and it digs a bit with weak surface reflection. SS is remaining disconnected of late. 

ETA: sharpens enough to pop a weak low off the coast but it's too late verbatim. Ok run in my book. 

Yea, the pv is elongated to the n and keeps the flow pretty flat in front. Could sharpen or shear to oblivion. At least there is consistency with a piece of energy associated with the front and not just a pixie dust fropa. Some snow in that period is gaining some consensus. Maybe the stars align and it digs a bit with weak surface reflection. SS is remaining disconnected of late. 

ETA: sharpens enough to pop a weak low off the coast but it's too late verbatim. Ok run in my book. 

I still like the 30-40% chance of an inch during that week.  I like seeing it cold and would love to see one really cold day with temps staying in the 20s.  

Of course a suppressed solution is possible.   I found it interesting that a number of euro ensemble members forecast some snow in the Jan 1-3 time range, generally light amounts but enough to keep some interest in that time range despite the look on the operational models. 

the 1/1-3 solution isn't the worst...kind of reminds me of 2/1-2/2013.....just snow off and on for 48-72 hours with some pulses...0.5" here and there..at least would feel wintry

I still like the 30-40% chance of an inch during that week.  I like seeing it cold and would love to see one really cold day with temps staying in the 20s.  

Yea, no honkin signal. That's for sure. I like your odds. Especially with a ns vort at this kind of lead. 

Room for improvement to a modest event with cold temps and nothing else to track so....

the 1/1-3 solution isn't the worst...kind of reminds me of 2/1-2/2013.....just snow off and on for 48-72 hours with some pulses...0.5" here and there..at least would feel wintry

Yeah, the 186 hour is not far away from a 1-3 type solution if the vort could sharpen a little more and get a little more help from the north right at the last minute.   Right now I'd take the solution as the snow would be a moral victory and the cold looks cold.

12z gefs shows some support for a bigger system in the 1/2 - 1/4 timeframe. A decent # of members appear to phase the vort with some ss energy and amp it up a bit. Track varies of course but I suppose ruling out a coastal completely is a mistake. I'm sure DT will be bringing this up with his full writeup. 

12z gefs shows some support for a bigger system in the 1/2 - 1/4 timeframe. A decent # of members appear to phase the vort with some ss energy and amp it up a bit. Track varies of course but I suppose ruling out a coastal completely is a mistake. I'm sure DT will be bringing this up with his full writeup. 

i would pretty much ignore anything that shows us getting snow

Euro has a quick piece of energy from the southwest brush us as it goes out to sea on the 31st.  Always have to be suspicious of precip that blossoms out of nowhere....nothing on 1/1-3...dry

anything through 240 or the usual piece of sht euro run?

Archived