joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anything through 240 or the usual piece of sht euro run?

usual..I am kind of with you in terms of tracking...I like tracking storms...little pulses and pieces of energy, I like when they happen, but  I try (often unsuccessfully) not to invest myself into random small events...even though it will be rain, I am still encouraged that something is coming out of the south

GFS has vort energy passing to our south on 12/31, and with the trend toward NW and juicier this year, I'll be watching how this evolves.  We have plenty of cold in place for that one at least.

I was thinking the first storm screwed things up. However it really doesn't, the strong PV over the eastern lakes is whats suppressing  this. The first storm does not push the front that far SE.  Hopefully we can at least get some flurries from the upper toff passage.

I took the top correlative analog dates for today's GFS/GEFS/Can ENS/Euro/Euro Ens for days 11-15 and created the below....

6 out of the 11 dates had measurable snow in the 5 day period, but the events averaged around 1"...only one event over 2" (2.3")

500mb Anomaly

post-9749-0-32192700-1388101953_thumb.pn

Surface temp anomaly in C (0.5 contours) - so we are around -5F

post-9749-0-85388100-1388101962_thumb.pn

Great info, thanks for the work Matt.

sure..I mean..what it tells us is that for January 5-9, we will probably be colder than normal....and we probably have a 50-50 chance of a 0.1"+ event, and a 10% chance of a 2"+ event for DC......that is at least what the composite tells us, and that is probably reasonable to predict at this point with that pattern

sure..I mean..what it tells us is that for January 5-9, we will probably be colder than normal....and we probably have a 50-50 chance of a 0.1"+ event, and a 10% chance of a 2"+ event for DC......that is at least what the composite tells us, and that is probably reasonable to predict at this point with that pattern

I really hope for you guys sake, that you get at least one 2" storm by Jan 10th.

Archived