joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not endorsing JI's whining...but he is right...that southwestern s/w just went poof on the last two runs of the GFS

That ain't all. Check out these two ens shots 24 hours apart for Sunday. If the Euro shows anything close our forecast is going to go from partly cloudy to about 80% rain.

u4ebegym.jpg

gybaguda.jpg

Further south to where Matt? I can't see the euro

we are still on the southern end...but further south than the GFS....I think it is either/or with this event and the now phantom event on 1/2-3...Canadian still has the 1/2-3 event...but it is a mangled miller B that isn't very good for us....it is a good clipper pattern..maybe it is a better solution in the end than the wetter western low...

Matt, I think I got my vorts confused. There seems to be a bunch of pieces flying below the pv. We can do well with something modest and cold. It's been a while since we had a pv like this spinning close by. We're gonna get a ton of different looks as the pieces get better resolved. Ns is whacky because the energy is fast in the flow and doesn't technically even exist yet. Model mayhem

I think we sneak a minor event in before next week ends. This northern stream solo act is all we've got it looks like.

The stream interaction is too complicated at these leads.We really have no idea how things will shake if/when something from the gulf gets organized. Our default mood is some lame gl low screws it all up because we have plenty of recent history there. But we don't have much history having a nasty pv near hudson lately. That thing has only spoken Russian for quite a few years in a row. I'm cautious and paranoid but encouraged overall.

The stream interaction is too complicated at these leads.We really have no idea how things will shake if/when something from the gulf gets organized. Our default mood is some lame gl low screws it all up because we have plenty of recent history there. But we don't have much history having a nasty pv near hudson lately. That thing has only spoken Russian for quite a few years in a row. I'm cautious and paranoid but encouraged overall.

But a vortex near Hudson bay usually is not a good  one for a big event.  Look at the big event composites. Only one had that look and it took perfect timing between a southern stream shortwave and the arctic front.  As matt notes it's a clipper type pattern. When the northern stream amplifies enough to pull a southern stream impulse northward, the great lakes pressures are likely to be low.  We still don't really have the blocking in the right place.  Are chances are still around or slightly higher than climo but we're still more likely to get scrooged than get a nice big package with a bow on it.

We still don't really have the blocking in the right place. Are chances are still around or slightly higher than climo but we're still more likely to get scrooged than get a nice big package with a bow on it.

Agreed Wes. I wasn't trying to imply a big event. Just replying to tracker that it isn't just the northern stream.Front end on a miller b or cutter with 2-4 / 3-5 is a big event in comparison to recent years.

I like cold Clippers too. Not prolific but can be cold with no ptype issues. I'm not chasing a ghost of a big event right now for the solid reasons you pointed out.

I can't get over how the Sunday system keeps changing. I further can't get over my forecast of partly cloudy when the GFS, with nearly complete ensemble support, puts out 3/4 -1" of rain from Sun morning to Mon morning. I guess the whole GFS suite is being ignored.

Can't help but wonder what happens if that low in the lakes ends up a half day faster moving out. LOL, one can always dream.

I can't get over how the Sunday system keeps changing. I further can't get over my forecast of partly cloudy when the GFS, with nearly complete ensemble support, puts out 3/4 -1" of rain from Sun morning to Mon morning. I guess the whole GFS suite is being ignored.

Can't help but wonder what happens if that low in the lakes ends up a half day faster moving out. LOL, one can always dream.

I think getting the lakes low to move fast enough is a dream but the forecast should reflect rain as the Euro is also quite wet.   I think the GSF run while cold and dry is interesting as are its ensembles.  A number still show a storm, some snow, some not but something worth watching. 

it's in a prime zone if it can create its own cold air.  my guess is it will figure out how to by the time it gets toward boston.

LOL. I ain't quite that gullible. Nice try though.

How many times would we have killed for a low on the coast like that? Can't catch a break.

it is a great track on the gfs at least. the 500 vort could use a little work but unless we can change the lakes low into a H we're probably cooked. i haven't looked at much but the 18z gfs is pretty meh.

it is a great track on the gfs at least. the 500 vort could use a little work but unless we can change the lakes low into a H we're probably cooked. i haven't looked at much but the 18z gfs is pretty meh.

If my thing was to track lakes lows, se ridges, and record heat I would be in weather nirvana.

One of the things that allows the potential rain to track the coast is the lakes low. If we had a cold high pressing down it would be a fish storm. I don't consider this one a wasted op. It's lucky rain.

If my thing was to track lakes lows, se ridges, and record heat I would be in weather nirvana.

One of the things that allows the potential rain to track the coast is the lakes low. If we had a cold high pressing down it would be a fish storm. I don't consider this one a wasted op. It's lucky rain.

Which low you talking about Bob? The one that went from Lake Ontario to northern Michigan to central Illinois on the last three runs?

Archived