• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Pattern Discussion

NorthArlington101

just for sh-its and giggles, the GFS has us at around 12 degrees at the onset of the event and still in the mid to upper teens after we've been thumped good...It has been a while since we have had an event with super cold temps...It would be nice to get a front end thump even with temps in the low to mid 20s...

And about a 1/4 inch of ice on top. Then a follow up 3-6 southern slider followed by an arctic blast of historic proportions.

I'll get to the second half of January later.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was an easy call

Nice, I was out for a while and just looked at the panels. Signal is strong. Track is sketchy but that applies to 95% of our storms.

Imo- we wouldn't lose 850's so quick. Pretty burley airmass in front. We can do well here even if wet during the latter part. Even flawed this could be one of our more promising setups in quite some time. And it looks like chances behind it. Fun stuff

especially if you're in Winchester or Mt. Parkton... and we all know why

Yeah I suppose I do agree with Ian. Just a communication breakdown I guess. I wouldn't find a snow to rain event good myself, but that rarely happens. What usually happens is it goes to freezing rain and then to drizzle. The problem lately is that it's been too warm in DC for the front end to matter. The description Matt gave would be ideal.

There are other books besides yours.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

2-4 would be cool.. perfect is a stretch. 

DC is always so close to the line it's hard to ever get too invested early.  I can see as well as anyone that there is a signal for a storm but that doesn't mean much else for me at this point. 

2-4 would be cool.. perfect is a stretch. 

DC is always so close to the line it's hard to ever get too invested early.  I can see as well as anyone that there is a signal for a storm but that doesn't mean much else for me at this point. 

I think it would be awesome to get a wall of precip with surface temps of like 16...we haven't had that in forever..even like 24 would be great...wasting so much time at 33-34 gets annoying...I'd kind of rather have a messed up track but with a wet, super cold event, than a good track with temps of 32-33

Not that it matters at this point but the gfs has an 8 degree temp difference at 2m at jyo vs. DCA during heaviest precip...jyo 27 DCA 35

yeah...but after 0.3" falls we are only 25 with the whole column below freezing...we'd probably get another 0.2" before we flip...it would actually be a nice event even for the city..3-5" to sleet to ice to rain to snow?

of course the details are silly..

I bet we have a thread by Thursday :(

yeah...but after 0.3" falls we are only 25 with the whole column below freezing...we'd probably get another 0.2" before we flip...it would actually be a nice event even for the city..3-5" to sleet to ice to rain to snow?

Lets trend this sucker right! It's time dang it!!!

# of tasty members on the 18z gefs increased from 12z. Some are great for all snow. But they aren't the prolific ones...

Trending better...

And about a 1/4 inch of ice on top. Then a follow up 3-6 southern slider followed by an arctic blast of historic proportions.

I'll get to the second half of January later.

Ugh. Models look great why so defeated???

Forgive me if I missed something on the 18Z GFS, I only gave a quick cursory glance at it.  But after the potential storm on Jan 3-4, the 18Z doesn't exactly look cold.  In fact, it looks pretty lousy...the 850 temps go above zero soon after that, followed by a big cutter, and it doesn't exactly cool off much beyond that toward the close of the run.  Flow seems to lift a lot more than what we've seen before.  Now I will say that the 12Z looked a lot colder (maybe that's what you're referring to?), and the ensemble means from both 12Z and 18Z look a fair bit different than the evolution of the deterministic 18Z.

Forgive me if I missed something on the 18Z GFS, I only gave a quick cursory glance at it. But after the potential storm on Jan 3-4, the 18Z doesn't exactly look cold. In fact, it looks pretty lousy...the 850 temps go above zero soon after that, followed by a big cutter, and it doesn't exactly cool off much beyond that toward the close of the run. Flow seems to lift a lot more than what we've seen before. Now I will say that the 12Z looked a lot colder (maybe that's what you're referring to?), and the ensemble means from both 12Z and 18Z look a fair bit different than the evolution of the deterministic 18Z.

I haven't seen it so I can't answer your question. As a general rule just go with the coldest and snowiest parts of any of the daily runs. Just piece them together like a quilt. LOL , j/k of course. I haven't seen it though.

18z gefs mean sucked past d10 compared to everything else. I normally refrain from commenting on negative runs without other support but it was a notable step backwards.

It's hideous in the longer range...hopefully just a  happy hour hiccup

Guest StormTracker23

00z GFS looks to be coming in a little weaker through hour 186 and a bit further south. By the way, hello americanwx. Just joined the other day.

euro plows a low to our west..greater metro area gets 1-3" before we all flip to rain

It redevelops well south but the primary is so strong it doesn't matter. Right in between the gfs and euro is a big storm for us. Blend is the smart call right? Lol

Pretty sure someone gets a major storm here. Maybe not our subforum but we may end up being slightly happy.

Archived