joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MA'ers need a reality check

H2O

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would actually like that. But it would scare my neighbors. They would walk down my sidewalk and say "OMG! WTF is that sh*t?!?!"

I've still got a patchy 3/4" IMBY.

DC is constantly made fun of my everyone. Why is that OK? Next time I get 7 100s I'm going to totally rub it in.

:clap:

Thank you H20, I know this all started out as some friendly bantering but I has taken more of a personal turn after Tuesday's event. This has been a very odd December here. I want to show you all something, here at Millersville we've been keeping records of snowfall since 1926. Here are our averages.

attachicon.gifMu_snavg.PNG

Look, 4.6 with a seasonal average of 26" very similar to the climate of FDK, IAD and the NW areas of MD. This year we've already doubled that. We're at 200% of climo! It's rare, we can't control it... why should we be ridiculed for it. We also have boom and bust winters, especially recently.

season-snow-graph.jpg

I'll agree to what mapgirl said earlier, I'm afraid to even post a pic or an ob now because of fear of causing hurty hurtz. If someone wants to come up to my small apartment and sleep on the couch, that's fine but don't be mad because we're having our lucky December here. IT'S NOT NORMAL!

3 events in a row that favors the M/D line certainly is a bit unusual.  My main point was to simply remind everyone that it can happen since N&W is in a better spot.  Trying to nip things in the bud and not pit people against each other.  

Hah. Well I'm sure there are some. Nothing wrong with that but plenty of use have moved to places hat get way less snow than places we previously lived. Snow is IMBY as noted by others. Obviously we want more all the time but this whole topic is kinda silly.

It's pretty common for people to move to places because of the weather and sometimes it's a really huge factor. So I don't really feel that bad if I want to take snow into consideration. It's just that most "normal" people want to move away from cold and snow and want warmth all the time and nobody thinks it's odd.

I've still got a patchy 3/4" IMBY.

DC is constantly made fun of my everyone. Why is that OK? Next time I get 7 100s I'm going to totally rub it in.

It is and I laugh at it myself. It's a very special place here and should be made fun of. Yea, next time my yard looks like a hallmark postcard I'm going to take pics of each individual flake. Amwx will need another 1TB storage server though. Luckily we have a good number of years to plan for the upgrade.

Yeah. It makes me feel bad for other people who have bad luck. But I keep posting pictures and obs because I have had many people thank me for doing it. There have been many crappy winters for all of us at some point. And I always like looking at the obs pics in the NE forum as well. I guess I am just a snow junky. :)

How is this topic not in the banter thread? I'm one of those individuals that have those feelings this forum page has referenced, but I try to respect the official storm event page analysis,  even though an off-topic post may come around every now and then. I must have stepped away from the forums at the right times over the last few days. :axe:

Folks,

I'm not 'technically' from the area, although included in the 'big picture' of the way the areas were divided out sometime in the past. Anyway, from out here I see those posts ribbing and joshing as Bob Chill said - humor. I know that reading semi-degrading things about your post time and time again can be upsetting, as all you are doing is sharing your good fortune. Just remember how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. I posted something on another thread about an hour ago basically covering this same topic. I love snow, no matter where and who gets it. If I get it, that is extra super bonus in my book, but I'm not gonna hold it against the NW VA folks that are 3 to 6 times what I've received so far. I hope mapgirl and the rest that have had such a great start to the year continue to do so, AND keep posting and sharing. Maybe the rest of us will get lucky and join in the fun soon.

WRONG I DO CONTROL MY SNOW!!!!! :weenie:

nice crisp morning out

attachicon.gif1467205_458753024230909_1638187220_n.jpg

Cool!

I haven't had the equipment out in several years, since the boy got his license and can get himself to the 'Shoe there is rarely a need to. I had White Christmas's here for years. I think I missed one due to it never getting cold enough to make snow. Do you run guns or fans? Son got right industrious between 12-14 years of age and started making his own equipment (I turned the 'operation' over to him at 12, told him if he wanted snow to ride on he could take over and he did) and he created a homemade fan gun like resorts use. Still have all of it (minus one compressor that bit the dust after 10 years continuous use) stored in garage. Don't miss the water and power bills! :rolleyes:

I've got to agree, H2O.  There have been some awful comments, though at times it's hard to tell if they're snarky or serious (well, sometimes you can tell that someone is really bitter).  I admit to being weenieish about snow to an extent, and sure I was very disappointed by the Boxing Day storm, the March 6 storm, and this past Tuesday's event.  But I still liked hearing about who was getting some kind of decent snow (even if a tad jealous!).  Heck, no matter what happens here in the metro DC region, I still look at forecasts in the Cleveland/northeast OH area (my home town) whenever they're supposed to get bombed, just out of interest!  I followed the Valentine's Day storm in 2007 for there, and it was pretty cool to see the reports even as we were getting a sleetfest here.

Maybe some people are expecting a 2009-10 every few years now, but I don't think most in here do.  I can appreciate that was probably a once in a lifetime event, along with a lot of good luck in how things came together.  We'll surely get more KU-type snowstorms again (he says knocking on wood!), but not like we did that winter.  I also think people are a bit jaded by the past three anemic winters (especially the last 2), and some of the "failed" events recently.

I always like seeing good snow pics no matter where they're from.  So to those who said they almost feel like they shouldn't post...please do continue to post them!  I've gotten more into photography (though still a lot to learn) and part of that is because I always loved taking pictures during snow events.  There's just something awesome about seeing a heavy fall of snow.

Just woke up from an epic Nyquil Nap

Friends..countrymen....lend me your ear!

Look, this forum isn't breaking up.  Period.   Nobody should be leaving and I don't think most people were serious about the N and W ribbing.  At the same time, I hope Katie and others don't feel bad for posting pics, happiness, etc about your snow.   Nobody can control the stuff, so there shouldn't be any animus, except toward SNE...they are like the Dallas Cowboys of forums. 

Those who are going to get snow..under a watch...enjoy.   Those who aren't, enjoy the weekend....get drunk..catch a movie, drop some acid....just go occupy yourself.

hi alll new here was wondering if this is the thread to ask about saturday snow I live in Maryland Line near the Fill-er-up on York Road does anyone know how much snow i going to get???????????????? :sled:  :snowing:  :ee:  :santa:  btw lol I like snow.'s board name lol he has a period on it i tryed to get the name snow but someone already got it!!!!!!!!! :fulltilt:

also why do you guys have a duck for a smiley thats weired 

hi alll new here was wondering if this is the thread to ask about saturday snow I live in Maryland Line near the Fill-er-up on York Road does anyone know how much snow i going to get???????????????? :sled::snowing::ee::santa: btw lol I like snow.'s board name lol he has a period on it i tryed to get the name snow but someone already got it!!!!!!!!! :fulltilt:

also why do you guys have a duck for a smiley thats weired

I hope the weight of the snow collapses your house.

Just woke up from an epic Nyquil Nap

Friends..countrymen....lend me your ear!

Look, this forum isn't breaking up.  Period.   Nobody should be leaving and I don't think most people were serious about the N and W ribbing.  At the same time, I hope Katie and others don't feel bad for posting pics, happiness, etc about your snow.   Nobody can control the stuff, so there shouldn't be any animus, except toward SNE...they are like the Dallas Cowboys of forums. 

Those who are going to get snow..under a watch...enjoy.   Those who aren't, enjoy the weekend....get drunk..catch a movie, drop some acid....just go occupy yourself.

No secession and no civil war then! ;)

("When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one sub-forum to dissolve its bonds with another...")

If I don't get snow, I would be unhappy. But, usually, we get something this way. You can all have my driveway which is a sheet of ice.

What we do suffer from out here is lack of severe. Spring and summer has me looking 360 degrees at awesome storms and we are dry. And I think I love the severe just as much as snow.

Cool!

I haven't had the equipment out in several years, since the boy got his license and can get himself to the 'Shoe there is rarely a need to. I had White Christmas's here for years. I think I missed one due to it never getting cold enough to make snow. Do you run guns or fans? Son got right industrious between 12-14 years of age and started making his own equipment (I turned the 'operation' over to him at 12, told him if he wanted snow to ride on he could take over and he did) and he created a homemade fan gun like resorts use. Still have all of it (minus one compressor that bit the dust after 10 years continuous use) stored in garage. Don't miss the water and power bills! :rolleyes:

2 backyard blizzard guns. I'm looking at this one next the SG7, mine are both over 10 years old

http://www.snowathome.com/our_products/SG7_Snowmaking_Package.php

I've got to agree, H2O.  There have been some awful comments, though at times it's hard to tell if they're snarky or serious (well, sometimes you can tell that someone is really bitter).  I admit to being weenieish about snow to an extent, and sure I was very disappointed by the Boxing Day storm, the March 6 storm, and this past Tuesday's event.  But I still liked hearing about who was getting some kind of decent snow (even if a tad jealous!).  Heck, no matter what happens here in the metro DC region, I still look at forecasts in the Cleveland/northeast OH area (my home town) whenever they're supposed to get bombed, just out of interest!  I followed the Valentine's Day storm in 2007 for there, and it was pretty cool to see the reports even as we were getting a sleetfest here.

Maybe some people are expecting a 2009-10 every few years now, but I don't think most in here do.  I can appreciate that was probably a once in a lifetime event, along with a lot of good luck in how things came together.  We'll surely get more KU-type snowstorms again (he says knocking on wood!), but not like we did that winter.  I also think people are a bit jaded by the past three anemic winters (especially the last 2), and some of the "failed" events recently.

I always like seeing good snow pics no matter where they're from.  So to those who said they almost feel like they shouldn't post...please do continue to post them!  I've gotten more into photography (though still a lot to learn) and part of that is because I always loved taking pictures during snow events.  There's just something awesome about seeing a heavy fall of snow.

Good post. I agree with everything you said. The part about not knowing whether someone is joking or being serious sometimes does cross a fine line, but I never take anything personal and always give the benefit of the doubt to most people. I never posted anything for many years going all the way back to the early days of Eastern for no particular reason, but I do know the attitudes and personalities of all the regulars and I can say that allows me to know what to expect when reading certain threads. As I have said before in several of my other posts I always wish everyone does well in any given event with their location not determining whether I root for them or not. The only time I get bothered is when a member from another forum slips in and says something just for the sole purpose to troll or upset members of this forum.

2 backyard blizzard guns. I'm looking at this one next the SG7, mine are both over 10 years old

http://www.snowathome.com/our_products/SG7_Snowmaking_Package.php

Wow! That a TAD out of my budget....hahaha!

BTW, I'm not sure if they still make, but I can HIGHLY praise Porter-Cable's 4515 compressors, I tried several different kinds over the years, they were the only ones that could even come close to providing the amount of air needed to run 2-4 guns. Even outdid larger, stand up type compressors. And they have lasted for years. Like I said , lost one (tank cracked at seam) but they still run and run they did! Many times they would start up on a Friday afternoon and never turn off until early Monday morning. I couldn't begin to calculate the number of hours on them over the years. One year I 'lost' the A/C unit beside house he made so much snow. I think that was the year he built the 7 foot tall 1/4 pipe ( to do tricks on). It was nothing for me to come home off 3-11 shift and the house would look like a ski resort, lights in the trees lighting the yard, snow guns blazing and kids doing tricks/snowboarding. Son tried to talk me into using the riding mower to make a rope tow one year, had to nip that one in the bud. lol

Archived