joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MA'ers need a reality check

H2O

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian, stop wasting time in this thread and get the new forum open. I want someone to be jealous of mby

I guess I have to hate you know if the real snow people are going to PA. Consider yourself on notice.

I know I have been frustrated and I think I made a post about it, but mine was also in jest.  I think some of us were just unhappy watching the same area's get hit again that got hit the day before with snow.  But oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  That's how things work around here sometimes, and we just have to accept it.  We can't change the weather, no matter how angry we are

He's from the Philly forum, she's talking about the upstate NY/PA forum which was kind enough to make some room for the northern MD posters whose climo doesn't really fit with DC (and yeah, this forum IS very DC-centric)

Ah.  Makes sense.  The northern MD climate is more in line with upstate NY.

Edit:  I'll put a ;) in here, just in case I'm taken too seriously.  So...;)

I like the last line or two of Mattie g's post. I think that's where I fall in. I also spent a decade living in the northern area (Stewartstown PA in Southern York co.) so I can see both sides.....getting more snow than anyone else and getting the shaft. Those of us closer to the cities just have to understand that we will get our snow in nickel and dimes and the occasional big storm when conditions are just right.

Just like everybody has said for years here, snow is sn imby event. The true satisfaction lies in what falls there.

Us closer in folks have been sucking a diesel tailpipe for nearly 3 years straight with zero breaks. So contrary to the op, I won't really share in the enthusiasm of a nw winter. Or a se winter or a ns winter.

I'm not bitter or immature. I just won't jump for joy everytime someone 45 minutes away from me get s nice dose while I get a muddy cartopper.

We expect to get less down here. Thats normal. But virtually none isn't satisfying. I deal with it with humor. If you can't handle my jokes then don't post pics or ask a mod to ban me.

Of course snow is an IMBY thing.  Hell, weather is an IMBY thing.  You got more snow than me on Tuesday.  And all I can say is bummer but life goes on.  That's all.  

Humor is the best way to handle it.  i rather have jokes than complaining.  Why do you think i make dumb maps?  It's a way to poke fun at not only myself but others.  I know you aren't being mean.

Maybe the posts from some that only show up during winter who rub it in that they get/got more snow resonated with me lately.  I'm plenty frustrated that white stuff hasn't fallen around DC the last two years but I try not to let that mess with others who have seen it.

Just like everybody has said for years here, snow is sn imby event. The true satisfaction lies in what falls there.

Us closer in folks have been sucking a diesel tailpipe for nearly 3 years straight with zero breaks. So contrary to the op, I won't really share in the enthusiasm of a nw winter. Or a se winter or a ns winter.

I'm not bitter or immature. I just won't jump for joy everytime someone 45 minutes away from me get s nice dose while I get a muddy cartopper.

We expect to get less down here. Thats normal. But virtually none isn't satisfying. I deal with it with humor. If you can't handle my jokes then don't post pics or ask a mod to ban me.

45 minutes?  Heck, I'm 11 miles and 15 minutes NW of you up 270 and I have ridiculously tall snow piles (nod to Jebman) and 3" of compacted snow still on the ground so I REALLY understand your pain.  I'd be as dour as a sour lemon if the roles were reversed.

That said, there are some thinned skinned people floating around if this is really an issue.  Personally, I don't see a single one of your posts as anything other than a humor balm over the disappointment.  

(meekly raises hand)

Hah. Well I'm sure there are some. Nothing wrong with that but plenty of use have moved to places hat get way less snow than places we previously lived. Snow is IMBY as noted by others. Obviously we want more all the time but this whole topic is kinda silly.

If it's so painful to have to get snow and have other people be "jealous" I dunno what to do for anyone in that position.

I will make an effort to only friendly rib people who l know won't melt down over it.

Nah, itsallgood. Some people are upset because they got too much snow so something had to be said.

U and me are tight. And we will sit in a bar and drink one of these days.

Maybe if they donate some snow to the less fortunate they will feel better. It is the season of giving.

:clap:

Thank you H20, I know this all started out as some friendly bantering but I has taken more of a personal turn after Tuesday's event. This has been a very odd December here. I want to show you all something, here at Millersville we've been keeping records of snowfall since 1926. Here are our averages.

post-741-0-67946300-1386945122_thumb.png

Look, 4.6 with a seasonal average of 26" very similar to the climate of FDK, IAD and the NW areas of MD. This year we've already doubled that. We're at 200% of climo! It's rare, we can't control it... why should we be ridiculed for it. We also have boom and bust winters, especially recently.

season-snow-graph.jpg

I'll agree to what mapgirl said earlier, I'm afraid to even post a pic or an ob now because of fear of causing hurty hurtz. If someone wants to come up to my small apartment and sleep on the couch, that's fine but don't be mad because we're having our lucky December here. IT'S NOT NORMAL!

Archived