• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MA'ers need a reality check

H2O

Looks like the only complainers are those who got a lot of snow, and detect an imaginary animus from those who didn't get as much.  

I will say this.  If you live and work entirely outside of this region (VA, MD, WV, DE beaches) I don't care about your snow or your snow climo as part of the discussion here.  We have established unofficial de facto boundaries over the years and Pennsylvania is not part of our forum.  This should be obvious, since there are 2 PA forums.  It has nothing to do with the amount of snow you receive.  Parts of MD/VA received more than you all these last 2 events, and places like Davis WV and Deep Creek get way more snow than you.  It has to do with you all clogging up our forum when there are 2 other forums that cover your region.  BUT...that said, I don't have a problem with you posting here, as others don't seem to mind.  Just don't expect me to care about your backyard or respond to your posts or include you in model discussions.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:clap:

Thank you H20, I know this all started out as some friendly bantering but I has taken more of a personal turn after Tuesday's event. This has been a very odd December here. I want to show you all something, here at Millersville we've been keeping records of snowfall since 1926. Here are our averages.

attachicon.gifMu_snavg.PNG

Look, 4.6 with a seasonal average of 26" very similar to the climate of FDK, IAD and the NW areas of MD. This year we've already doubled that. We're at 200% of climo! It's rare, we can't control it... why should we be ridiculed for it. We also have boom and bust winters, especially recently.

season-snow-graph.jpg

I'll agree to what mapgirl said earlier, I'm afraid to even post a pic or an ob now because of fear of causing hurty hurtz. If someone wants to come up to my small apartment and sleep on the couch, that's fine but don't be mad because we're having our lucky December here. IT'S NOT NORMAL!

Who cares?..You aren't part of our region.  You live well into PA.

For the record, every single one of my posts about this stuff has the sole purpose of making someone laugh.

And I will continue to make these jokes in the new subforum

I get your humor and laugh at it quite often....and will continue to....I hope you get snow....I hope I get more. Thanks

I've made a post or 2 about it already...These type of storms aren't that uncommon.  This is a more exceptional example, but there is nothing terribly rare about this.  The idea that DC folks are butthurt or resentful is hilarious and a complete fabrication and the lack of examples is telling

i didn't read the whole post from the OP, but i have to agree that there is pretty rampant childish behavior about snowstorms here.  i mean, i'm as hooked on snow as anyone.  honestly, i love it.  it's a visual high to see a snowstorm, but it's pretty lame to get upset over someone talking about how they got a good snow.  i honestly think it's because i've played a lot of basketball my life and i'm used to the trash-talking and competitive nature.  if anything, i see it as competition.  you certainly wouldn't see someone on the court say "stop trash talking, you're hurting my feelings".  man up!!!

Looks like the only complainers are those who got a lot of snow, and detect an imaginary animus from those who didn't get as much.  

I will say this.  If you live and work entirely outside of this region (VA, MD, WV, DE beaches) I don't care about your snow or your snow climo as part of the discussion here.  We have established unofficial de facto boundaries over the years and Pennsylvania is not part of our forum.  This should be obvious, since there are 2 PA forums.  It has nothing to do with the amount of snow you receive.  Parts of MD/VA received more than you all these last 2 events, and places like Davis WV and Deep Creek get way more snow than you.  It has to do with you all clogging up our forum when there are 2 other forums that cover your region.  BUT...that said, I don't have a problem with you posting here, as others don't seem to mind.  Just don't expect me to care about your backyard or respond to your posts or include you in model discussions.

I fully admit any negative feelings I have are from being too sensitive...still glad I got snow though

I've made a post or 2 about it already...These type of storms aren't that uncommon.  This is a more exceptional example, but there is nothing terribly rare about this.  The idea that DC folks are butthurt or resentful is hilarious and a complete fabrication and the lack of examples is telling

Yup. 

i didn't read the whole post from the OP, but i have to agree that there is pretty rampant childish behavior about snowstorms here.  i mean, i'm as hooked on snow as anyone.  honestly, i love it.  it's a visual high to see a snowstorm, but it's pretty lame to get upset over someone talking about how they got a good snow.  i honestly think it's because i've played a lot of basketball my life and i'm used to the trash-talking and competitive nature.  if anything, i see it as competition.  you certainly wouldn't see someone on the court say "stop trash talking, you're hurting my feelings".  man up!!!

I get more snow than bethesda so my obs > bethesda obs

I get more snow than bethesda so my obs > bethesda obs

lol i can tell your posts are more in jest, but it's pretty clear that there are some folks on here that take snow a little too seriously imo.  hey, to each his own, though.  i can't really judge, but i'm just making an observation.  obviously it exists or else people wouldn't be talking about it.

as for bethesda...i swear it's a microclimate snow hole.  i'm not even kidding.  i grew up in silver spring (north part) and lived in rockville and it's a noticeable difference in borderline mixed bag events.  i should just move to frederick...it's the 80s dc.

For the record, I was serious about the 6z GFS being good for the PA members of the sub-forum. I didn't look that closely back to Leesburg/Winchester, but at first glance, it looked like all the good stuff on that run was at the MD/PA border and north.

chasing snow is actually a pretty good relief for the snow starved.  if someone has a car with good snow tires, i say go for it.  i'm glad i took that trip to boyds/germantown last sunday.  it was a legit snowstorm for several hours.  made me feel better about getting nickel and dimed tuesday (or is it pennies now lol).

If not one person agreed with my OP then I would say you and Ian are right and that I'm making sh*t up.  But that is not the case.  You don't agree.  Fine.  I stuck my neck out to say some things that no doubt would rub some the wrong way.

Haven't seen examples yet of the animus and resentment from the DC crew over not getting as much snow.  In fact the majority of this forum did ok in these events.  Anyway, if someone has a problem, they should report the post and/or take it up with Randy/Ian/Wxusaf etc and/or address it publicly or privately with the offender.  So far, as expected, these posts that have driven people off the forum are imaginary.

If not one person agreed with my OP then I would say you and Ian are right and that I'm making sh*t up.  But that is not the case.  You don't agree.  Fine.  I stuck my neck out to say some things that no doubt would rub some the wrong way.

A lot of us have been posting about weather together for like a decade and like to make fun of each other over stuff and/or use dry humor.  There's pretty much no issue these days except maybe eating babies for dinner that you won't get folks on both sides of the argument.  

Still waiting for example posts.  Nobody has been able to provide any.  Even just 2-3 would suffice, and help us determine if this is a widespread issue, isolated, and who it pertains to...regs or those who drive by just for events.  

Still waiting for example posts.  Nobody has been able to provide any.  Even just 2-3 would suffice, and help us determine if this is a widespread issue, isolated, and who it pertains to...regs or those who drive by just for events.  

mapgirl made that map yesterday making fun of DC and everyone laughed at DC but not sure that's the argument here. 

It is true that DC is about 70% of the time involved with the rain/snow/mix line and 30% solidly all snow from the forecasting period up to and thru the event. To me these flare ups occur between who did get a good bit of snow and who did not but I would think for us right in and around DC folks that we know the rain/snow line is part of the territory.

If certain posters annoy you, put them on ignore.  It works wonders!

I think we've all been frustrated with the low snowfall amounts since 09/10 and I bet I can find posts from just about everyone venting their frustration.

09/10 was an anomaly.  As much as I'd love to have a repeat every single year, it ain't happenin'.

I don't begrudge anyone getting more snow than me.  

A lot of us have been posting about weather together for like a decade and like to make fun of each other over stuff and/or use dry humor.  There's pretty much no issue these days except maybe eating babies for dinner that you won't get folks on both sides of the argument.  

Good.  Glad we cleared it all up.  No problems and I'm wrong.  Thank you both for setting me straight and I hope we can continue to enjoy any and all weather we get.

Good.  Glad we cleared it all up.  No problems and I'm wrong.  Thank you both for setting me straight and I hope we can continue to enjoy any and all weather we get.

Same...and I got to see Mapgirl's map..kind of humorous and looks like she was a 100% participant in the joking and banter.  Good to be validated!

Archived