Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My only fear is some are getting their expectations too high today. Models tend to overdo qpf and the dry slot will be trucking. It will snow hard for a few hours but when relying on a thump just one or two hours of a dry slot can kill your totals. I think as long as expectations don't get out of hand this is likely to be good. I see 2-4 right along the pa md border and 3-5 north of 30 and 4-7 north of harrisburgh. I think the chance of a true bust where we get less then 2-3" is low but the high model qpf today is getting some people hyped for big totals given this is really just a waa thump with a fairly weak system overall.

I know everyone is sitting a little on edge with this one and with good reason in the LNS MDT area.  (The light accums are not far from here)  However, for December this pattern has been absolutely rocking for our region.  I know places like UNV could have cashed in more but we've had what?  Three, four, five threats to track so far?  And we've all cashed in for the most part.  Super active and plenty cold.  So take the apprehension with a grain of salt.

And BTW we've been radiationally (probably not a word) cooling like crazy down here and my super-not accurate reading here is 27.  I think we'll be fine.  Good luck everyone!  :snowing:

My only fear is some are getting their expectations too high today. Models tend to overdo qpf and the dry slot will be trucking. It will snow hard for a few hours but when relying on a thump just one or two hours of a dry slot can kill your totals. I think as long as expectations don't get out of hand this is likely to be good. I see 2-4 right along the pa md border and 3-5 north of 30 and 4-7 north of harrisburgh. I think the chance of a true bust where we get less then 2-3" is low but the high model qpf today is getting some people hyped for big totals given this is really just a waa thump with a fairly weak system overall.

Very good post. I feel that this will underperform and the LSV counties could perhaps have the warnings downgraded. 5-8" seems like a reach based on the latest runs I've seen. Can't complain though, this past week has been amazing and I'll be happy with 2-4.

Mets want to weigh in on this concern?

Which should we be more concerned about - dryslot or ratios?

Wow, just realized just how much of a disconnect there was with BGM compared to the bordering NWS areas of State College and Albany. To answer your question, I'm personally more concerned about a dry slot. I think we'll all hold our own with the standard ratios (near 10-12:1) for the most part. My concern is that maybe the primary lifts a bit more before the transfer and allows for the precip shield to be a bit further north and perhaps expose the southern tier of PA to more spotty coverage and lower totals that would probably not meet warning criteria if that happened. Then again, if all of this happened further south BGM might actually be looking pretty good with it's snowfall forecast. It's just a thought really, from what I see pretty much everyone should see a good snowfall near or above warning criteria. 

With this system being an unphased southern stream wave, there is going to be a ceiling on QPF as precip will progress and not linger.. likely a solid 0.5-0.8" type event. As I said before, the portion of the area that matches up the best QPF with the best snow ratios is going to be the region that sees widespread 6-10 inches. I'll be putting my final map out eventually this evening, wanna see some of the 0z first. 

Wow, just realized just how much of a disconnect there was with BGM compared to the bordering NWS areas of State College and Albany. To answer your question, I'm personally more concerned about a dry slot. I think we'll all hold our own with the standard ratios (near 10-12:1) for the most part. My concern is that maybe the primary lifts a bit more before the transfer and allows for the precip shield to be a bit further north and perhaps expose the southern tier of PA to more spotty coverage and lower totals that would probably not meet warning criteria if that happened. Then again, if all of this happened further south BGM might actually be looking pretty good with it's snowfall forecast. It's just a thought really, from what I see pretty much everyone should see a good snowfall near or above warning criteria. 

With this system being an unphased southern stream wave, there is going to be a ceiling on QPF as precip will progress and not linger.. likely a solid 0.5-0.8" type event. As I said before, the portion of the area that matches up the best QPF with the best snow ratios is going to be the region that sees widespread 6-10 inches. I'll be putting my final map out eventually this evening, wanna see some of the 0z first. 

Get your call in to the contest before 1am. 

Uhhoh...hedging it back a bit.

Don't even know what your referring too. There has been so much model consensus for days. It will snow. NAM is awesome.

I know what he's talking about. This map has much less for my area than the previous map. 8-10 on the old map to 4-6 on this one. What happened?

I know what he's talking about. This map has much less for my area than the previous map. 8-10 on the old map to 4-6 on this one. What happened?

Never mind. I know what happened. On the old one, there was no ice in my forecast, but now they have up to 0.25" of ice. I thought it would be cold enough to stay all or mostly frozen.

So the latest NAM came in warmer and pushed mixed precip farther north and west, and CTP changes the map?

Archived