Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro and GFS now advertising a serious ice storm DEC 21/22. Will need to keep an eye on that. 

(For all you weather trivia buffs out there...especially all the 20-somethings...)

Eerily reminiscent of the winter of '93-94.  That winter had just about everything you could imagine in winter weather.  Tons of snowstorms of around 70" for the season (in north jersey), and one incredible ice storm with well over 0.5" accretion of ice everywhere.  Temps were in the TEENS during that ice storm.  Extreme northwest NJ was actually 4 degrees above zero Fahrenheit with heavy freezing rain!!  I'll bet not too many on this board can say they have ever witnessed that!  That January of 1994 produced the coldest temperatures that rivaled the all-time record coldest temperature for the state of NJ (-34F back in 1936) at -33 degrees.  At my station I recorded a low of -8F for my all-time lowest temp.  That was also the month that out here, on January 21st Harrisburg International recorded it's all-time record low temperature of -22F!!  That was on the same morning I recorded my minus 8F.

So, all I can say is get ready.  By the way, that NJ ice storm I spoke of occurred less than a week before the all--time record lows were established.  I wonder if we will see weather extremes around here this winter?

(For all you weather trivia buffs out there...especially all the 20-somethings...)

Eerily reminiscent of the winter of '93-94.  That winter had just about everything you could imagine in winter weather.  Tons of snowstorms of around 70" for the season (in north jersey), and one incredible ice storm with well over 0.5" accretion of ice everywhere.  Temps were in the TEENS during that ice storm.  Extreme northwest NJ was actually 4 degrees above zero Fahrenheit with heavy freezing rain!!  I'll bet not too many on this board can say they have ever witnessed that!  That January of 1994 produced the coldest temperatures that rivaled the all-time record coldest temperature for the state of NJ (-34F back in 1936) at -33 degrees.  At my station I recorded a low of -8F for my all-time lowest temp.  That was also the month that out here, on January 21st Harrisburg International recorded it's all-time record low temperature of -22F!!  That was on the same morning I recorded my minus 8F.

So, all I can say is get ready.  By the way, that NJ ice storm I spoke of occurred less than a week before the all--time record lows were established.  I wonder if we will see weather extremes around here this winter?

It's definitely an interesting thing to consider. About a month or so ago one of you guys commented on DT's post that claimed about this guy apparently being able to calculate the average NAO level with very good accuracy for each winter and that this one was supposed to be solidly negative overall. Of course up to this point we have seen a relatively positive NAO and especially AO regime and that looks to continue for the time being. At any rate, he had that chart that showed how the guys calculations stood up to actual average values to each winter. One thing that jumped out at me about that chart was not so much the prediction, but that the winters of 92-93 and 93-94 featured quite a high average positive NAO. This opening month or so of winter weather has been a pretty good lesson on not needing the classic -NAO/+PNA to bring some decent winter weather to central PA. I'd be curious to see any data on the EPO for the 93-94 winter. The -EPO has really been a big factor so far this winter with keeping the source region of the air masses out of Canada. So while we have a progressive pattern without any blocking, we have had consistent shots of strong cold air masses. I'd be afraid to see what our late November/Early December would have been like with a positive EPO (strong Pac Jet flooding the US with Pacific air). We'd likely have been talking about a dead on arrival winter circa December 2006. What I'll be curious to see, is if this general theme continues throughout the winter or we have a more front end loaded winter. 

And here's my final map on today's snowstorm. No ridiculous changes, just did some tweaking of the boundaries mainly. Made 6-8 range to 6-9 and expanded coverage further NW in north central PA.  Lessened amounts a bit further into SW PA and brought the 6 and 3 inch line slightly NW in Eastern and Southeastern PA. Inserted a pink dashed line to denote mainly snow vs snow changing to a mix toward the end of the event. 

post-1507-0-20588700-1387007004_thumb.pn

Just realized this event is coming on the ten year anniversary of this:

attachicon.gifNationalFronts-1800Z-14Dec03.gif

attachicon.gifSnowTotals-14Dec03.jpg

From that on Long Island I had about 6" snow then rain and a torch up to nearly 50 degrees and all that snow washed away. Hopefully that doesn't happen again IMBY but what can you do. Good luck guys-hopefully this is the Miller B to work out.

I remember that winter quite well. It seemed I was shoveling snow every three to four days or so. We never got any kind of big event, but a lot of 3-6, 4-8 type storms. Some mixed, some all snow. The ice storm is a particular memory for me, because, like you said, freezing rain with temps under 10 degrees. It was 8 at my house when the precipitation started. That was, and I believe still is, the snowiest winter in the Lehigh Valley, where I lived at the time (Bethlehem). And it was cold for most of it, as we pretty much had a solid snow cover nearly the entire season.

There's an arctic front that has essentially stalled out over S-C PA. North of the front, winds are more northeasterly & temps/DPs are colder/drier.

Hope front pushes south of me.

Here's a piece from LWX discussion:

BACKDOOR FRONT WILL SLIP SOUTH OF THE MASON DIXON LINE EARLY THIS

MORNING...LIKELY STALLING OVER CENTRAL VIRGINIA INTO THE AFTERNOON.

WHILE THE AIR MASS BEHIND IT ISN/T EXCEPTIONALLY COLD...IT WILL HELP

TO MAINTAIN SOME COLDER AIR NEAR THE SURFACE.

Archived