Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA/fringes of MD - December 2013 continued

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to believe! But then I remember that the NAM and SREFs can and do vastly overdo precip (i.e. the last event).

Hopefully we don't get suckered into these very snowy solutions, only to see precip break apart as the low transfers to the coast...

This!! If you are expecting 3 to 6 this event will produce! Just don't fall in love with the juiced up solutions.

GFS is a solid 5-10" snow from Harrisburg north..especially around UNV/SEG. Farther south there's definitely a p-type battle going on. Winds on GFS are more SE at the surface than E/NE that the NAM was depicting. As a result, on the grids south of MDT goes over to a bit of RAIN after a period of freezing rain (after a 3-6" snow..+SN at times after 18z). The dryslot timing is also a huge wild card...my experience says the dryslot almost always comes in faster than modeled. 

Contrary to what we usually see out of the HPC (WPC, whatever) is quite bullish on accumulations Saturday.

This is the HPC's 50% right in the middle of the guidance "best guess" on accumulations from 12z Sat through 12z Sun. 

post-1406-0-52883900-1386950167_thumb.pn

Here is the 75% map, showing the top quartile of snowfall potential. The light blue is indeed 12-15" EDIT: Might be 10-12" instead...the legend has 3 shades of light blue but the map has only two.

post-1406-0-59148500-1386950277_thumb.pn

Even the 25% accumulations show 6-8" across a lot of the area. The HPC has high confidence that this will be a significant, approaching major snowfall across PA. 

Maps: http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/pwpf/wwd_percentiles.php?ftype=percentiles&fpd=24&ptype=snow

I think region wide 3 to 6 with isolated 8" amounts sounds about right.

I agree.

I think I know who the father is for those NAM babies...HPC should take care of their kids, to paraphrase Chris Rock:

day2_psnow_gt_12.gif

Archived