• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 10 Morning Crusher (obs/nowcasting)

yoda

I'm going back to bed.   Enjoy N and W folks.

Maybe next time fellow DC'ers.   It happens in this game we play....always winners and losers.  

It is finally snowing good...might as well enjoy it...you will have all day to sleep when it finishes in like 5 minutes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorta surprised they closed today after the Snowquester debacle. I realize a lot of people commute in but we should be at the point where it's just a telework option. Are there gov employees who don't have computers at home?

But every single forecast, including the Post's, was warning of a potential rush hour debacle. The OPM is still in the 1/11 shadow. I mean, if the models didn't bust by like 3-4 degrees 12 hours out, they would have been blamed for the major traffic issues. No win....

I'm sorta surprised they closed today after the Snowquester debacle. I realize a lot of people commute in but we should be at the point where it's just a telework option. Are there gov employees who don't have computers at home?

Yes. And just as many whose jobs don't involve a computer.

There's no telework option for us.  I know its a very small piece but the cost and logistics of fitting the software that we'd need to telework, not to mention the ability to transfer the huge amount of satellite data remotely likely outweighs the cost of one day of lost production.  So they just make us emergency personnel instead.

Makes sense. I mean I'm not going to complain about a day off too much but if this keeps happening they are going to need to figure out a new option. 

It is finally snowing good...might as well enjoy it...you will have all day to sleep when it finishes in like 5 minutes

Nah, what's the point....when it's done at 9, it's gonna all melt anyway.  And there's nothing worse than ruining other peoples' fun by constantly whining.  I know when to fold 'em.   At least we got a free day off!

I can't seem to upload pictures, but my yard looks like Mattie's.

Ian - my wife is a fed in HR and she is basically in face-to-face meetings all day.  She only teleworks on extremely rare occasions.  Still lots of people out there without truly portable jobs.

Still stuck at 32.9.  The temps have been disappointingly high.

But every single forecast, including the Post's, was warning of a potential rush hour debacle. The OPM is still in the 1/11 shadow. I mean, if the models didn't bust by like 3-4 degrees 12 hours out, they would have been blamed for the major traffic issues. No win....

Right. This one is particularly tricky because of the timing. Otherwise.. we should generally be able to deal with a few inches of snow even in the tropics.  To be fair to us we predicted gov would stay open.. or maybe that's just another facet of the "bust". 

I can't seem to upload pictures, but my yard looks like Mattie's.

Ian - my wife is a fed in HR and she is basically in face-to-face meetings all day.  She only teleworks on extremely rare occasions.  Still lots of people out there without truly portable jobs.

Still stuck at 32.9.  The temps have been disappointingly high.

Makes sense. I guess I just think everyone works in front of a computer all day these days. 

Makes sense. I mean I'm not going to complain about a day off too much but if this keeps happening they are going to need to figure out a new option. 

True, I'm here regardless so I really dont care, only difference is I'm in a hoodie and jeans today.  But I'm sure there's a larger picture to take in with regards to the closing.  All the schools closing means tens of thousands now trying to find emergency childcare for the day, In all honesty though, i wouldn't want to be the one that has to make the call every time.

/[end banter]

I don't understand the current policy as explained to me by my boss. If it's your regularly scheduled telework day, you had to telework today. If not, you're off. That makes no sense at all. Just require everyone to telework. It could be that she doesn't understand the policy herself.

I'm sorta surprised they closed today after the Snowquester debacle.  I realize a lot of people commute in but we should be at the point where it's just a telework option. Are there gov employees who don't have computers at home?

I can speak from the DoD side and say that there are plenty of folks that can't do a lot of their work from home (though luckily I have plenty I can do from here). That really sucks for the contractors who have to take PTO when the office is closed.

I agree in general though. My wife used to be a fed, and she just VPNed from our home computer if she didn't have her work laptop with her. It's really not that hard.

True, I'm here regardless so I really dont care, only difference is I'm in a hoodie and jeans today.  But I'm sure there's a larger picture to take in with regards to the closing.  All the schools closing means tens of thousands now trying to find emergency childcare for the day, In all honesty though, i wouldn't want to be the one that has to make the call every time.

/[end banter]

Yeah for sure... the school aspect is a big one if pretty much every place closes probably.  Sorry you have to work! I actually have stuff that needs to be done but oh well.   I do assume one day we'll get past the closings except for disastrous events.

Snowing moderately in Crofton, temp 33. About .25" so far. Looking at the soundings last evening, I was (still am) a bit concerned about how long we would be in a favorable profile with good uvv's/mstr above the -12C for good dendritic growth. I honestly didn't think the BL would be an issue, even in the S/SE areas, given the backside deformation and sfc low track (albeit weak) off the coast.

Just said that same thing to my wife (she works for DCPS Central Office and commutes each day on the MARC). After the last two closings for a bust, when something legitimate comes along, that's what they will be open for.

I had planned to drive into DC at 5am and come home at 3pm, my usual workday.  Was showering at 4:30am when I got the auto-phone call that Fedgov was closed.  :snowing: :snowing:

Archived