• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2013 obs and discussion

Ian

Most western MD webcams west of Cumberland are showing light accums. Speaking of Cumberland.....what a terrible spot for snow. Too far west for most coastals. Too far east for upslope. Must be agonizing if you're a snow lover living there. At least you're only a short drive over keyser's ridge to MA snow heaven.

Cumberland get about as much snow as most of northern MD, though I'd guess that less comes from coastals and more comes from nickel and dime that makes its way downhill.

The snow average from Cumberland to Frostburg jumps from 29" to 82" in just 10-15 miles :o

AvgSFMap_1208_2.jpg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cumberland get about as much snow as most of northern MD, though I'd guess that less comes from coastals and more comes from nickel and dime that makes its way downhill.

The snow average from Cumberland to Frostburg goes from 29" to 82" in just 10-15 miles :o

AvgSFMap_1208_2.jpg

Yep. It's an ignorant cut off.

Nobody said there's high confidence.... but you said there are no signs of accumulating snow anytime soon while there certainly is the potential for something.

I know next to nothing about weather, but I could say "there's a reasonable chance of snow between Jan 5 - 31" and end up being right most years in this area. So, there's always the potential for something in the mid to long terms.

It just looks a lot more like art than science when narrow % ranges and analogues are thrown about for anything beyond 7 days. Some people will take that info and run with it as if it is grounded fact. Then they come back and are upset when it doesn't happen.

Same QPF shutout through 192, but here's the 7 day view from the GFS. Sure, there is QPF in between 192 and 384, but that is la la land.

Archived