joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see the sun, after 4 gray days, and it's especially bright glinting off the ice. We had at most 0.25" accretion here, from about 9/10" LE. As I was nearing home at 6 last night I saw some slushy flakes and began to hope for a traction-dusting. By 8 or so we had 1/4", which stuck fast to the wet ice and improved traction by 100X (conservatively - went from near impossible to walking normally.)

Driving home in daylight, there is substantially more ice in Fryeburg, Brownfield and Cornish than in my 'hood. Lots of birches being bendy and as adk noted above, the glistening silvery trees are simply stunning.

Elevation to some extent made a huge difference. At 750', we've got lots of ice on the tress, but drop down to ~400' and there is very little.

I just caught this image on my cam. Wish I had better focus:

post-2152-0-88319800-1387914232_thumb.jp

Caribou has been racking up the Snow...

...RECORD 10 STRAIGHT DAYS OF MEASURABLE SNOW AT CARIBOU...

AT 10 STRAIGHT DAYS...CARIBOU HAS SET AN ALL TIME RECORD FOR

CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF MEASURABLE SNOWFALL. HERE ARE THE DAILY SNOW

AMOUNTS.

DEC 15...15.5 IN

DEC 16...0.9 IN

DEC 17...0.1 IN

DEC 18...0.8 IN

DEC 19...0.7 IN

DEC 20...3.3 IN

DEC 21...1.5 IN

DEC 22...5.8 IN

DEC 23...2.0 IN

DEC 24...0.1 IN AS OF 920 AM

THE OLD RECORD WAS 9 STRAIGHT DAYS IN JANUARY 1991 AND FEBRUARY 1960.

Caribou has been racking up the Snow... 

...RECORD 10 STRAIGHT DAYS OF MEASURABLE SNOW AT CARIBOU...

AT 10 STRAIGHT DAYS...CARIBOU HAS SET AN ALL TIME RECORD FOR
CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF MEASURABLE SNOWFALL. HERE ARE THE DAILY SNOW
AMOUNTS.

DEC 15...15.5 IN
DEC 16...0.9 IN
DEC 17...0.1 IN
DEC 18...0.8 IN
DEC 19...0.7 IN
DEC 20...3.3 IN
DEC 21...1.5 IN
DEC 22...5.8 IN
DEC 23...2.0 IN
DEC 24...0.1 IN AS OF 920 AM

THE OLD RECORD WAS 9 STRAIGHT DAYS IN JANUARY 1991 AND FEBRUARY 1960.

Wow CAR's record is only 9-10 days?! That seems low...I would've thought like 3 weeks of measurable would be the record. But I guess there's really no orographics or mesoscale lake effect or something to keep snow going for days.

Wow CAR's record is only 9-10 days?! That seems low...I would've thought like 3 weeks of measurable would be the record. But I guess there's really no orographics or mesoscale lake effect or something to keep snow going for days.

Yeah when you only rely on synoptics it's tough to get a stretch that long. You guys can rack up the days much easier!

It does seem low but like you said the lack of orthographics up there is probably the main reason.  

Elevation to some extent made a huge difference. At 750', we've got lots of ice on the tress, but drop down to ~400' and there is very little.

After my evening shift last night, I took a ride up to Raymond to see how things were at those elevations. Went up North Raymond Road to Ledge Hill Road. Spiller hill road was closed from what looked like downed trees and wires. After that I navigated myself to Rte 11 then back down North Raymond Road and into Gray where I live. The ice was pretty impressive...I estimated a half inch or more at some of the higher spots mainly above 400-500ft or so.

After my evening shift last night, I took a ride up to Raymond to see how things were at those elevations. Went up North Raymond Road to Ledge Hill Road. Spiller hill road was closed from what looked like downed trees and wires. After that I navigated myself to Rte 11 then back down North Raymond Road and into Gray where I live. The ice was pretty impressive...I estimated a half inch or more at some of the higher spots mainly above 400-500ft or so.

You were right in my neck of the woods. We're on tenney hill. I was going to work this morning and drove up to the spiller hill road closed and had to turn around and take 302. Figured a tree across the road. Hopefully it's back open as I need to go that way in the morning.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

You were right in my neck of the woods. We're on tenney hill. I was going to work this morning and drove up to the spiller hill road closed and had to turn around and take 302. Figured a tree across the road. Hopefully it's back open as I need to go that way in the morning.

Sent from my LG-E980

I probably drove right by your place. After I saw that Spiller hill road was closed I went around Raymond Pond then eventually up Tenny Hill and turned around on Bear Road before making my way over to Rte 11.

Sent from my LG-E980

I probably drove right by your place. After I saw that Spiller hill road was closed I went around Raymond Pond then eventually up Tenny Hill and turned around on Bear Road before making my way over to Rte 11.

yep we're the road on the right just before bear rd.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

The only glazing we got over here was Saturday night/Sunday morning.  Nothing major though.  Temps were similar but we shot up to 46° Saturday morning and I feared the worse.  Must not have stayed at that tem very long though becauses it was back down to 34° when I returned home from Christmas shopping a few hours later.  I was amazed at the resiliance of the snowpack though.  Like you, we went from about a foot to about 4" but the foot was nearly all powder and I figured it would vaporize quickly.

Yeah, there wasn't much/any much base under the formerly powdery snow.  At least there's something left for any fresh stuff to land on though.

Cold one this morning--down to a goose egg.

Nice photos everyone and happy Christmas.  :santa:

Archived