NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN-CENTRAL SOMERSET-SOUTHERN OXFORD-

SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-

COASTAL YORK-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-

NORTHERN GRAFTON-NORTHERN CARROLL-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-

SULLIVAN-MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-

COASTAL ROCKINGHAM-

303 PM EST THU DEC 26 2013

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR WESTERN MAINE...CENTRAL NEW

HAMPSHIRE...NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE AND SOUTHEASTERN NEW HAMPSHIRE.

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

A COASTAL LOW IS EXPECTED TO TRACK OFF THE NEW ENGLAND COAST

SUNDAY NIGHT. THIS WILL LIKELY SPREAD SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF NORTHERN

NEW ENGLAND... WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF MODERATE TO HEAVY

ACCUMULATIONS.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTERS ARE ENCOURAGED TO RELAY SNOW REPORTS TO THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE.

Would be nice if it pans out.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Since I got home at 3pm, another 0.8" has fallen, bringing the village up to 2.6" total. Skies are clear but it's still snowing lightly, I'd assume we are done accumulating though. We were blocked a bit in town but I'll take it...looks wintery again rather than a crusty early April snowpack, lol.

I see Smuggs came in with 8" of new snow at the summit today...and my guess is the Stowe side got 4-6" total (base-summit), but won't know for sure till morning.

Event totals: 3.5” Snow/0.19” L.E.

We’ve been doing a bit more holiday traveling the past couple of days, so I can pass along some snowpack observations as we traveled down to the Boston area yesterday.  Up here in our area of Washington County, the snowpack was in the half foot range or so, dropping off a bit as one headed southeast on I-89.  We really started to notice changes when we got to the Randolph area, where there were some fields that were partially bare.  There was still generally consistent cover, but it was down to just a couple inches.  Once we got down into the Connecticut River Valley, there was definitely a patchy snowpack with incomplete coverage, and covered areas (generally the woods), were very thin with an inch of snow or less.  The trails at Whaleback actually had very little snow where they hadn’t made it.  Snowpack was a bit better as we approached the Grantham area, and it began to get better to the south of that point, where there was a consistent few inches on the ground.  The snowpack began to taper off again as we approached Boston, and in the northern suburbs there was minimal if any coverage.  We finished our trip in Norwell on the South Shore, and there was no snow on the ground aside from snowbanks here and there.

Today in Norwell there was some light snow/graupel in the morning with a trace of accumulation, but surprisingly in the afternoon the precipitation was just rain, typically light to moderate, but at times heavy.  It was amazing to think of an Alberta Clipper giving rain in late December, but I’m not really familiar with the climate down there.  The rain was coming down pretty heavily around 3:00 P.M. or so as we were heading out on our trip back north, the temperature was 37 F, and I noted that there were actually ice crystals in the rain on the windshield.  Within a couple of minutes though, the precipitation flipped over to driving snow.  From that point on the precipitation was all snow, and it was generally on and off and gradually tapered as we headed northward.

At the house I ran the liquid analysis and the 3.5 inches of snow on the board contained 0.19” of liquid.  I had no idea how much snow places had picked up until I saw the list that PF posted – some 6 to 7 inch amounts in the valleys.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 3.5 inches

New Liquid: 0.19 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 18.4

Snow Density: 5.4% H2O

Temperature: 21.0 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 9.5 inches

I’ve grabbed some afternoon updates from the Vermont ski areas that made them, and listed the totals north to south:

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 8”

Stowe: 5”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Sugarbush: 0”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 4”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 2”

It’s really hard to image Bolton Valley picking up only 3” from this event when west slope places below them like Underhill reported more and we’ve had 3.5” here off to their east, but that was a mid afternoon update, so perhaps that number will go up for tomorrow’s report.

On that note, there’s actually still moisture pushing through the area, we’ve had another half inch of fluff down here, and I bet a lot of it came when that bright clump of moisture cut right over us:

26DEC13A.gif

Event totals: 4.0” Snow/0.19” L.E.

The liquid from the overnight snow came in at less than 0.01”, so that means it was drier than 50:1 and will have to go down as a trace. 

Details from the 7:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.5 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 23.2 F

Sky: Flurries/Light Snow

Snow at the stake: 9.0 inches

In line with Hitman’s comment, the snow globe was just turning on when I was out for observations.  It wasn’t sure if it was going to show up on radar, but indeed there’s something visible pushing into the area:

27DEC13A.gif

Continuing with the snowfall from yesterday, here’s the north to south listing of 24/48-hour Vermont ski area snowfall totals to account for snow from the Alberta Clipper:

Jay Peak: 6”

Burke: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 8”

Bolton Valley: 4”

Mad River Glen: 5”

Sugarbush: 3”

Middlebury: 5”

Pico: 3”

Killington: 3”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 4”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch took this event with their 10 inches between yesterday and overnight.

Cell phone pics but it is absolutely dumping up here.

Yeah, I was watching it on come down pretty hard on the Bolton Valley Web Cam – you can see on the radar how the Bolton to Stowe stretch took a nice smack – I caught the last few frames as it was switching modes:

27DEC13B.gif

The BTV NWS discussion says today’s activity is from a weak embedded 5H vort combined with favorable west to northwest blocked upslope flow; we’ve had 0.3” from this event down here so far.  It’s nice when these little systems pop up out of nowhere.

Archived