• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

It is, I am riding weds, The county is mint, Flat and fast, Some clubs are still brushing back and removing downed trees from the ice storm, I was waiting for a little more snow before i go out, Like to try to stay on the seat instead of a trip over the handlebars when you hit unforeseen objects that get hidden but not buried, Much easier on the A-arms.......... :)

Hopefully you score some powder thurs-fri. I may try to get out in Central NH this weekend. Have to wait until early Feb to get up to Pittsburg. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp steadily falling all day--down to 11F now.  Nice day today;  some sunshine, fresh snow, not too windy..

Won't be too bummed if we miss out. Vodka cold will suit me for a few days.

I hear ya there.  We've got a good solid pack now and it's a ton of work for me here at the homestead when we get a big one.  If we miss, I'm quite sure it'll snow again.  ;)

Already up to 39" on the season.  Pretty darn good start.

Check this out... BTV has had 50% of its top 16 snowstorms (8) since 2000.  That to me is incredible for a place with a 130 year data set (since 1882).   I mean I'm not even sure how to explain this because statistically that has to be incredibly hard to do... that many years of records and have 8 out of the top 16 snowfalls to occur since 2000.  The year of 2003 had 3 top 15 storms itself!

attachicon.gifBTV records.jpg

I wonder how many storms from the first 1/2-3/4 of that data set included snow boards cleared every 6 hours?

BTV is running 0.6"  below normal in snowfall at 21.4" on the season so far, but that is not really statistically alarming (for all intensive purposes around normal) so far. I would like just one good double digit snow this season, but that may be asking a lot.

See I always thought otherwise... I'm not a big fan of Miller B's, usually too far east.  Miller A's coming out of the Gulf of Mexico like March 1993 have a much better chance of moving up the coast line on a negative tilt which brings precip back into the deeper interior areas. 

Not here, They are usually tracking ENE by the time they make this lat or are an occluded mess, I prefer a bomb just under sne or my BM track is 41/70..... :)

Hopefully you score some powder thurs-fri. I may try to get out in Central NH this weekend. Have to wait until early Feb to get up to Pittsburg. 

Thanks, Yesterdays snow started out on the wet side but as things cooled towards the end it was dryer, Always can use a little powder to keep the temps down though, It helps when you can leave from the door yard, Pittsburg is a great area

Check this out... BTV has had 50% of its top 16 snowstorms (8) since 2000.  That to me is incredible for a place with a 130 year data set (since 1882).   I mean I'm not even sure how to explain this because statistically that has to be incredibly hard to do... that many years of records and have 8 out of the top 16 snowfalls to occur since 2000.  The year of 2003 had 3 top 15 storms itself!

Better more accurate measuring account for it?

Doesn't seem like a lot of nne peeps in the Thursday thread. Is this going ots for us?

If current solutions are correct than it will be time for a toaster bath in BTV, however my first call is 2-5" due to generous ratios for this area. As Dendrite said confidence is not great right now.

And 3 more in the 1990s, one in the 1980s, one in 1969 and two in the 1930s, plus the ancient 1900.  That leaves 7 decades not represented.  Thru their first 88 yr (less one week) they had 3 of the top 16; then the other 13 in 44 yr.   I'm sure some is due to measuring technique, but it's still remarkable.

Wetter and warmer = more snow until you reach a tipping point (and 2012 went over that tipping point that year).

Quite a few reports of "frost quakes" today. Did anyone else experience it?

about 9 tonight.  we thought it was the house popping, but the it sounded like the damn thing was gonna fall in.  don't now if it was a frost quake, never heard of them until I read that eyewall, I thought you were joking until I googled it.  

Thought for sure we were headed for a -10 or lower based on how fast things were dropping last evening.  But, some clouds rolled overhead and put a cap on things:

-5 for a low and -3 atm.

No frost quake here that I know of but pretty cool to read up on.  Never heard of such a thing but just did some reading and they are indeed being reported:

http://www.addison-eagle.com/news/2013/dec/30/frost-quakes-reported-middlebury-area/

Thought for sure we were headed for a -10 or lower based on how fast things were dropping last evening.  But, some clouds rolled overhead and put a cap on things:

-5 for a low and -3 atm.

No frost quake here that I know of but pretty cool to read up on.  Never heard of such a thing but just did some reading and they are indeed being reported:

http://www.addison-eagle.com/news/2013/dec/30/frost-quakes-reported-middlebury-area/

Yeah I experienced one yesterday here.

Given our forecast today, PWM has an outside shot at the 15th coldest December on record. It was 24.0 in 1972, today's forecast would get us down to 24.4. I think we may not quite reach our high of 19 at PWM.

Pretty impressive. I've had 5 highs in the 10s this month. I had 5 highs in the 10s in all of my Decembers since moving here combined before this one (Dec 2006-Dec 2012).

I'm going to end up at 23.1 or 23.2 for the month depending on what the final max for the day is. That's a hair colder than my 23.4 in Dec 07. It's been a pretty nice stretch of deep December winter since after the 1st week of the month.

Pretty impressive. I've had 5 highs in the 10s this month. I had 5 highs in the 10s in all of my Decembers since moving here combined before this one (Dec 2006-Dec 2012).

I'm going to end up at 23.1 or 23.2 for the month depending on what the final max for the day is. That's a hair colder than my 23.4 in Dec 07. It's been a pretty nice stretch of deep December winter since after the 1st week of the month.

I think 15th coldest is pretty impressive these days. As Ekster has said, it seems a lot harder to get extremely cold daytime temps now.

Archived