joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is just absolutely dumping up at the ski resort.  I went out to pick up some food and did a little weenie detour up to the ski area...and its whiteout up there with 1-2" new.  High winds and moderate snowfall is how I'd say.... snowfall rates weren't excessive but it was a steady moderate.  The wind was what was really making it difficult to see anything.  Road conditions are atrocious.

This essentially sums up the driving, lol.

It's ripping at Killington and the snow here is just awesome packing snow. You could not ask for snow with better traction. I was worried about a wet to dry flash freeze like last Friday/Saturday. Instead we have perfect bonding snow adhering to a glacier base. Welcome to winter!!!! It's going to be a good one!! Bring back the circle of trust!!

I’ve been doing hourly depth checks off the snowboard this evening, and around here the snowfall is running around 0.5”/hr on average:

6:00 P.M.: 0.6”

7:00 P.M.: 1.0”

8:00 P.M.: 1.7”

9:00 P.M.: 2.0”

The J&E Productions Web Cam is running and I’ve pasted the latest image below; I pulled out the larger measurement block for overnight just in case:

27NOV13F.jpg

Looks like we're going to finish up with an inch of new accumulation. We didn't lose much with the rain and the new stuff is plastered to the wind blown areas. Looks wintry!

What are the chances this is the start of our season long snow cover? I'm sure it is in the higher elevations but I don't remember the last time it started in November for areas where people live.

Hope you all are enjoying the snow the ones that are getting snow.

Currently there is Very Light Rain here in Brunswick Maine. Our storm total is 2.21" of rain. This light rain will not add to much. Winds have switched to WNW and temps are down to low 40s along the coast. Crazy day! Top wind gust was at 10:30am and reached 48mph. 

Nice Flash Freeze coming here tonight.

Gearing up for another day of winds tomorrow! Looking at gusts to 45mph. 

Event totals: 5.3” Snow/1.53” L.E.

The snow really tapered off after about 9:00 P.M. here, and there was little increase in the snow depth on the boards in the ensuing couple of hours.  It seems like that was the transitionary lull between the back end of the big synoptic storm and the beginning of the actual upslope snow.  Around 11:20 P.M. there was a notable shift in the look of the radar, as the flow of moisture stopped moving in from the south and began moving in from the west.  Flakes began to pick up, and they were bigger, upslope-style flakes.  I cleared the boards at midnight, and the new round of snowfall was starting to accumulate pretty quickly, so we’ll see what’s around in the morning.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.2

Snow Density: 12.2% H2O

Temperature: 28.9 F

Sky: Snow (5-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 5.0 inches

Event totals: 8.1” Snow/1.62” L.E.

Overnight activity dropped 2.8” of snow here, pretty much in line with the 2-5” that was in the BTV NWS forecast; it’s definitely got that upslope snow type of density.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 31.1

Snow Density: 3.2% H2O

Temperature: 20.1 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-8 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 6.5 inches

Archived