joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, nice catch on the ice accretion in the KLEB METAR.

Naturally nobody here tonight has any clue when or why this started. I just know the research was done in the late 90s to use the freezing rain sensor to detect the amount of icing based off an algorithm. Now I'm curious what other ASOSs are reporting ice accretion in our CWA.

I saw it on BML and for some reason CON keeps reporting a trace this morning. I think it's part of an ASOS software upgrade.

-2 earlier this morning at Bretton Woods, NH.   Now up to +2.    Hiked to 5K feet yesterday afternoon on Mt. Wash where it was also -2 with a bracing 25mph wind.

Auto Road has about 3" of boiler plate ice with scattered deep drifts.   The Obs snowcat parked at 4000' feet so last shift was with the truck up to that point.

Quite a few bear tracks from when things were slushy the other day.   Will post some pics when I get home Monday.

Had some light snow showers roll through here this evening. It was nice to see it early with none in the forecast until the overnight.

I didn’t see anything in the sky when I first read your update, but around 7:15 P.M. or so I saw that it had started snowing here – there’s been about a tenth of an inch of accumulation up to this point, so very light stuff.

I didn’t see anything in the sky when I first read your update, but around 7:15 P.M. or so I saw that it had started snowing here – there’s been about a tenth of an inch of accumulation up to this point, so very light stuff.

Yeah just a trace here.

Just drove past your area coming back from eating Turkey in Jerhico, and noticed flurries in the air at the Cider House on RT 2.

The only place it was snowing on the drive was within a half mile of your road, lol.

LOL, yeah, there’s not really an overly obvious pass as one heads through the Greens on I-89, since there’s not a huge elevation change.  But, as much as there is a pass, this is probably the spot, as it does seem to be the high point of the transit, and apparently it’s enough to bring on that extra pass-style precipitation.  It reminded me of a conversation we had back in June of 2009 on EasternUSwx.com when you mentioned it and I first started looking at the local topography – I can’t seem to get the link for the direct post to work, but here’s the page link and it’s the third post down:

http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/197885-nne-springsummer-discussion/page__st__140

It does look like some local high point of the interstate here, and there’s also that large mass of land that forms the south side of the dam to further impede and lift airflow.  Below I’ve got those images that I had in our initial conversation that show the geography via the enhanced vertical on Google Earth:

I-89restareaGE.jpg

I-89restareaGE2.jpg

Whatever the case, something brings the snow to this area.

11/29 Smuggs

11/30 Stowe

Smuggs had more snow this round, but finding the spots where wind brought the snow was key.  

Oddball observation: after being in the cold, high pressure of the past few days- I'm curious about something.  With the single digit temps at Smuggs yesterday, we witnessed flakes falling out of, seemingly, thin air @ 2000ft or a bit higher up on Madonna.  There were very few clouds off to the north, and no wind on the hill anywhere.  It just struck me as odd to see flakes coming down in virtually perfect blue sky, but originating above us @ maybe 500-1000 ft off the ground (wild guess).  Could the pretty low temperature fog/cloud/moisture from snowmaking generate a small, localized snow-growth zone?  We were well away from the snowmaking- maybe a half mile away on Madonna, and the flakes were coming from well above us.

Thoughts?  Was it just coincidence?  Or was the snowmaking adding just enough moisture to the atmosphere to create real snow proximal to the artifical source by way of increased relative humidity? Given the low temps/fog created by snowmaking  with low temps (all that moisture does not drop as man-made snow... some stays in suspension) , it was adding moisture locally. The dendritic flakes fell out of blue sky- it was gorgeous in the sunlight.  Perhaps coincidence, but it was As we followed the topography away from Sterling Mountain over toward Madonna 2, this effect seemed to disappear.  It was mostly right under the Madonna 1 lift, or just off to the looker's left of it- but still well away from the snowmaking activity.   

11/29 Smuggs

11/30 Stowe

Smuggs had more snow this round, but finding the spots where wind brought the snow was key.

Oddball observation: after being in the cold, high pressure of the past few days- I'm curious about something. With the single digit temps at Smuggs yesterday, we witnessed flakes falling out of, seemingly, thin air @ 2000ft or a bit higher up on Madonna. There were very few clouds off to the north, and no wind on the hill anywhere. It just struck me as odd to see flakes coming down in virtually perfect blue sky, but originating above us @ maybe 500-1000 ft off the ground (wild guess). Could the pretty low temperature fog/cloud/moisture from snowmaking generate a small, localized snow-growth zone? We were well away from the snowmaking- maybe a half mile away on Madonna, and the flakes were coming from well above us.

Thoughts? Was it just coincidence? Or was the snowmaking adding just enough moisture to the atmosphere to create real snow proximal to the artifical source by way of increased relative humidity? Given the low temps/fog created by snowmaking with low temps (all that moisture does not drop as man-made snow... some stays in suspension) , it was adding moisture locally. The dendritic flakes fell out of blue sky- it was gorgeous in the sunlight. Perhaps coincidence, but it was As we followed the topography away from Sterling Mountain over toward Madonna 2, this effect seemed to disappear. It was mostly right under the Madonna 1 lift, or just off to the looker's left of it- but still well away from the snowmaking activity.

We see that a surprising amount of times when it's really cold out...or in that 0-10F range. Snowmaking can sometimes help but snowmaking creates that suspended mist, not so much the good sized flakes. I'll look later but I've got some pics from past years of big dendrites falling out of blue sky.

I saw it the other morning and commented on it:

Diamond dust or whatever you want to call it, but it's 5F and snowing out of a mainly clear sky. Big flakes floating down at the mountain but I don't know where it's coming from haha.

You're basically walking around in the snow growth zone. Ha

I see it alot when I go to southern quebec its pretty neat

We see that a surprising amount of times when it's really cold out...or in that 0-10F range. Snowmaking can sometimes help but snowmaking creates that suspended mist, not so much the good sized flakes. I'll look later but I've got some pics from past years of big dendrites falling out of blue sky.

I saw it the other morning and commented on it:

11/29 Smuggs

11/30 Stowe

Oddball observation: after being in the cold, high pressure of the past few days- I'm curious about something.  With the single digit temps at Smuggs yesterday, we witnessed flakes falling out of, seemingly, thin air @ 2000ft or a bit higher up on Madonna.  There were very few clouds off to the north, and no wind on the hill anywhere.  It just struck me as odd to see flakes coming down in virtually perfect blue sky, but originating above us @ maybe 500-1000 ft off the ground (wild guess).  Could the pretty low temperature fog/cloud/moisture from snowmaking generate a small, localized snow-growth zone?  We were well away from the snowmaking- maybe a half mile away on Madonna, and the flakes were coming from well above us.

Thoughts?  Was it just coincidence?  Or was the snowmaking adding just enough moisture to the atmosphere to create real snow proximal to the artifical source by way of increased relative humidity? Given the low temps/fog created by snowmaking  with low temps (all that moisture does not drop as man-made snow... some stays in suspension) , it was adding moisture locally. The dendritic flakes fell out of blue sky- it was gorgeous in the sunlight.  Perhaps coincidence, but it was As we followed the topography away from Sterling Mountain over toward Madonna 2, this effect seemed to disappear.  It was mostly right under the Madonna 1 lift, or just off to the looker's left of it- but still well away from the snowmaking activity.

Saw the same thing at sugarbush yesterday. I've seen it before on very cold clear days. Never associated it in my mind with the snowmaking.

Archived