EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the same thing at sugarbush yesterday. I've seen it before on very cold clear days. Never associated it in my mind with the snowmaking.

Hadn't associated it with snowmaking, either.  It was just the nature of where the flakes were coming from, lack of much clouds/moisture.  There really wasn't a fog cloud from snowmaking, either.  Much more dispersed... Flakes just coming from no where, really.  Wondering if you could get real dendritic growth >1000' off the side of a mountain due to that extra moisture in the air. 

Dude, move east to a higher elevation or suffer 20x a year. How about some weenie hill at like 850' in the eastern suburbs like 10-12 miles north east or east of Burlington.

Oh yeah I know this is a tough spot to be in VT. It will leave me more appreciative of the times we do get something decent though.

Dude, move east to a higher elevation or suffer 20x a year. How about some weenie hill at like 850' in the eastern suburbs like 10-12 miles north east or east of Burlington.

He's right you should move to Vermont and out of the CPV. 

We see that a surprising amount of times when it's really cold out...or in that 0-10F range. Snowmaking can sometimes help but snowmaking creates that suspended mist, not so much the good sized flakes. I'll look later but I've got some pics from past years of big dendrites falling out of blue sky.

I saw it the other morning and commented on it:

In northern Maine we'd have a different, though possibly related, phenomenon, tiny crystals falling from clear, calm skies on frigid mornings - generally had to be in the -30 neighborhood or colder.  The French term (which I can't remember) translates to "the frost coming down."  Perhaps the extreme cold was wringing out the last bit of moisture.  Might be related to the strong low-level inversions we'd get in those conditions.

Two straight days of low 50s in Decatur, but it looks like we'll have some interesting wx for the drive east - leaving Wed,Thurs, or Fri, pending forecast updates.

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.05” L.E.

It seemed like a long time coming, but I saw the first flakes here at the house today a bit before 3:00 P.M. when I was heading up to the mountain.  Temperatures were actually in the mid 30s F in the valley, but the snow did start accumulating pretty quickly.  Up at the mountain, the temperature in the Village at 2,100’ was 30 F and the rate of snow was naturally more vigorous.  The flakes weren’t huge, but it was accumulating on my equipment quickly enough that gear left out took on a coating within a minute or two.

01DEC13B.jpg

In terms of depths of recent snows above the base, I checked those yesterday and generally found the following:

1,500’: 3-4’

2,100’: 4-6”

2,900’: 6-8”

I’ve got more detail in my report from yesterday, but I’d say that those numbers were pretty representative out there today as well.  Today I found a spot along the edge of the Fanny Hill trail at 2,600’ to get a good measurement on the undisturbed snowpack, and that came in at 13”:

01DEC13A.jpg

It was getting pretty dark when I was leaving, and as I made my way along some of the Liftline Condos, I saw a woman pushing something along through the snow – she made her way through some of the deeper snow around the back of the condos, and then was out of view for a bit before she got onto the street and I could get a picture  I didn’t know if it was a stroller, or just some other sort of vehicle for moving things, but whatever the case, the fact that it was on skis was intriguing.  Cleary it seemed to be somebody who knows the Bolton Valley environment:

01DEC13D.jpg

I thought of the recent conversations in the forum about places to live with snow, and let’s just say, when your strollers or other equipment have skis on them instead of wheels… that’s a sign.

It snowed all the way down to the valley when I was heading back to the house around 5:00 P.M., and the temperatures had fallen below the freezing mark even at the bottom of the access road down at 340’.  The snow eventually tapered off, so at 9:00 P.M. I ran a liquid analysis off the snowboard, which had 0.7” of snow on it:

Details from the 9:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.05 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 14.0

Snow Density: 7.1% H2O

Temperature: 31.1 F

Sky: Mostly Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 3.5 inches

So that’s the first accumulation for the month of December.  It looks like the next opportunities for snow are some light stuff in the early week, and then a frontal system later in the week.

Lol. That stroller is awesome

Haha yeah that's sweet. Only in NNE or there at BV, certainly being up there on the list of snowiest inhabited areas at 2,100ft along the Spine.

I mean if you lived there and were going to take your baby for nightly walks around the little village, normal strollers won't cut it most days. Could probably use it to walk to and from the BV general store up there with groceries.

Archived