Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was 5.6F this morning.

JSpin, thanks for the reply. One of my problems is that I tend to be a glass half empty guy when it comes to weather. I would like to think of a season similar to 07-08 but I can't help of thinking of 89-90. I understand that Dec. 89 was a different beast from what we have been getting but we have had a couple of pretty decent cold shots and my mind always go back to the rubber band snapping and things going in the opposite direction. Of course, none of this is based on anything scientific, just plain ol' irrational fear LOL.

Was 5.6F this morning.

JSpin, thanks for the reply. One of my problems is that I tend to be a glass half empty guy when it comes to weather. I would like to think of a season similar to 07-08 but I can't help of thinking of 89-90. I understand that Dec. 89 was a different beast from what we have been getting but we have had a couple of pretty decent cold shots and my mind always go back to the rubber band snapping and things going in the opposite direction. Of course, none of this is based on anything scientific, just plain ol' irrational fear LOL.

It's been cold, but not -10 to -15F departures cold.

28NOV13A.jpg

Looking at the parameters in the table, this November has been curiously similar to those Novembers, and it’s somewhat surprising because they were La Niña style seasons.  Going forward, it will be interesting to see if December follows any sort of trends, because the Decembers that followed those Novembers were great for snowfall – we picked up roughly 55” in December 2008, and almost 70” in December 2007.  Scale those numbers to mountain levels and that’s a couple of snowy months for the slopes.  We’ll just have to see how December 2013 goes in the snowfall department since it’s not quite the same global pattern, but at least it’s been an above average November.  We’re actually only about a week ahead of average on snowfall though, and as we move into December, Mother Nature really has to keep on the gas or it’s easy to fall behind that average pace; we’re heading deeper into winter and mean snowfall increases by about 1.5”/day.

Great data as always, J.Spin. 

I was curious about my November snowfall at the ski area, and my independent snowfall (not the COOP at the summit) came in at 45" this November.  That's the highest since November 2008 when 49" fell.  So like your data, we are right in that ballpark of those 07-08/08-09 Novembers.

Great data as always, J.Spin. 

I was curious about my November snowfall at the ski area, and my independent snowfall (not the COOP at the summit) came in at 45" this November.  That's the highest since November 2008 when 49" fell.  So like your data, we are right in that ballpark of those 07-08/08-09 Novembers.

Pittsburg Nhs snowiest Nov since he began keeping records, love this site

http://www.johnsnhweather.com/wxnoaarecords.php

The coop site at Diamond Pond only has about 15 years record, but during that time they've averaged something like 220"/yr.

Around the 1st ct lake in Pittsburg gets alot but the high terrain from Diamond Pond up through the eastern part of Pittsburg gets crushed. Wish there were more obs but there's not much out there but snowmobile trails.

I think one of the weeniest populated spots in NH is the canadian border crossing in Pittsburg at ~2400'. Everytime I've been up theres been 2x the snow the first ct lake has. Wish they reported obs!

An FYI for those who view the raw METARs...

Some stations now report ice accretion in 0.01". For example from the other night:

KLEB 270553Z AUTO 00000KT 2 1/2SM UP BR FEW001 OVC013 00/M01 A2999 RMK AO2
UPB41FZRAE41 SLP163 P0004 60016 I1003 I6008 T00001011 10006 21006 58039 =

I is the code indicator...the next value indicates either 1hr, 3hr, or 6hr ice accretion. In this LEB ob the ice accretion over the last hour is 0.03" and over the last 6hr is 0.08". Just like 3hr/6hr precip, the 3hrly ice accretion obs are at 3z/9z/15z/21z and the 6hrly ones are at 0z/6z/12z/18z.

Around the 1st ct lake in Pittsburg gets alot but the high terrain from Diamond Pond up through the eastern part of Pittsburg gets crushed. Wish there were more obs but there's not much out there but snowmobile trails.

I think one of the weeniest populated spots in NH is the canadian border crossing in Pittsburg at ~2400'. Everytime I've been up theres been 2x the snow the first ct lake has. Wish they reported obs!

You aren't the only one. In fact we're losing our observers in that area, through attrition and budget cuts.

12.3F

SLK down to -8F already. :lol:

By the way, nice catch on the ice accretion in the KLEB METAR.

Naturally nobody here tonight has any clue when or why this started. I just know the research was done in the late 90s to use the freezing rain sensor to detect the amount of icing based off an algorithm. Now I'm curious what other ASOSs are reporting ice accretion in our CWA.

Good reason for that. A quick search shows that (aside from some missing data in the mid 90s) the last sub-zero low at MVL in November was 1989.

Wow...yeah I can say it's the first time in my life it has happened at my area of residence in November. It certainly didn't happen in the Hudson Valley growing up, and not in downtown BTV either.

My SUV showed -2F all through town, while MVL out in the airport/field setting will be a few colder usually. 195k and runs like a champ from 2003.

1459896_10101744961090850_1824231658_n.j

Wow...yeah I can say it's the first time in my life it has happened at my area of residence in November. It certainly didn't happen in the Hudson Valley growing up, and not in downtown BTV either.

My SUV showed -2F all through town, while MVL out in the airport/field setting will be a few colder usually. 195k and runs like a champ from 2003.

1459896_10101744961090850_1824231658_n.j

Too soon for that crap. I love winter but no. 

Archived