Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

Deep winter and it will get deeper...

image.jpg

Congrats! Nothing up here till you get to about 2500-3000ft in elevation where there's about 1.5" new snow. Can't check the snow board up top as we are on wind hold at the Gondola.

Incredible wind here today...measured gust of 54mph at 1,650ft (over the parking lots on a gondola tower), and near 70mph at 3,600ft.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats! Nothing up here till you get to about 2500-3000ft in elevation where there's about 1.5" new snow. Can't check the snow board up top as we are on wind hold at the Gondola.

Incredible wind here today...measured gust of 54mph at 1,650ft (over the parking lots on a gondola tower), and near 70mph at 3,600ft.

Bolton is on wind hold today.

Power of positive thinking.

Despite 6" fresh up top, today did not qualify as a powder day. Below 3000' was hardpack, that was barely edgeable. I did laps at the top where the snow was nice and called it a day.

I guess so and yeah Bolton was struggling to put a positive spin on their report for today. The combo of a wind hold and icy conditions didn't bode well.

Power of positive thinking.

Despite 6" fresh up top, today did not qualify as a powder day. Below 3000' was hardpack, that was barely edgeable. I did laps at the top where the snow was nice and called it a day.

It is what it is on these types of days. Two different worlds....good turns at the top and rock hard from mid-mtn down. You can definitely tell what elevation it rained and where it didn't last night. At least from a snowmaking perspective you only have to focus on resurfacing the lower mountain this time, haha.

As of midnight, PWM is up to the 12th snowiest and 20th coldest December on record.

Not too shabby. What are your thoughts on later this week? Just skimming through the SNE thread, it looked like the latest Euro jackpots them. I'd be happy with a few inches to top off our crust.

Not too shabby. What are your thoughts on later this week? Just skimming through the SNE thread, it looked like the latest Euro jackpots them. I'd be happy with a few inches to top off our crust.

We'll do fine as long as you aren't looking for widespread warning amounts. I could see a high end advisory type deal, where we get warning snows but not in the 12 hour duration necessary for warnings.

We'll do fine as long as you aren't looking for widespread warning amounts. I could see a high end advisory type deal, where we get warning snows but not in the 12 hour duration necessary for warnings.

A nice cold, moderate event would be fine with me. It is funny how the true blockbusters seem to target SNE, but maybe that's selective memory...

A nice cold, moderate event would be fine with me. It is funny how the true blockbusters seem to target SNE, but maybe that's selective memory...

Well this is far from a locked in blockbuster. And I'm pretty sure our southern neighbors weren't so happy pelting +RA when Sunapee through Sunday River was putting down 12" new.

NWS BTV is already looking past the thu/fri system, either way it is disappointing in the shorter term:

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY/...
AS OF 310 PM EST MONDAY...DAYS 4 THRU 7 WL FEATURE AN ACTIVE AND
PROGRESSIVE PATTERN ACRS THE CONUS...WITH A GENERAL MID/UPPER LVL
TROF ACRS THE EAST AND RIDGE ACRS THE WEST. THIS WL RESULT IN
MAINLY BLW NORMAL TEMPS AND NEAR NORMAL CHCS FOR PRECIP.

OVERALL MODELS IN GOOD AGREEMENT WITH LARGE SCALE SYNOPTIC
SYSTEMS...BUT SHOW SOME UNCERTAINTY FOR THURS/FRIDAY SYSTEM AND
AGAIN FOR SYSTEM ON MONDAY. THE 12Z ECMWF HAS TRENDED TWD THE
00Z/12Z GFS AND THE GFS ENSEMBLE DATA WITH SHOWING A FAST
PROGRESSIVE SYSTEM WITH NO CLOSED 5H/7H CIRCULATIONS AND KEEPING
SFC LOW PRES SOUTH OF NEW ENGLAND...AS COLD CANADIAN HIGH PRES IS
LOCATED OVER SOUTHERN CANADA. GEM/GFS/ECMWF SHOW GOOD OVER RUNNING
LIGHT SNOW LIKELY THURS INTO FRIDAY...ALONG WITH GOOD EASTERLY FLW
BTWN HIGH PRES AND DEVELOPING LOW PRES TO OUR SOUTH. IN
ADDITION...SOME 850 TO 500MB MOISTURE WL BE AVAILABLE...ESPECIALLY
ACRS OUR CENTRAL/SOUTHERN CWA. WL CONT WITH PREVIOUS FCSTER
THINKING AND MENTION LIGHT SNOW LIKELY FOR LATE THURS INTO FRIDAY.
SFC RIDGE BUILDS INTO OUR REGION ON SATURDAY...WITH BITTERLY COLD
TEMPS ANTICIPATED. PROGGED 85H TEMPS BTWN -22C AND -24C AND
SIMILAR 925MB TEMPS SUPPORT HIGHS ONLY IN THE SINGLE DIGITS TO
LOWER TEENS FOR THURS INTO SATURDAY. OVERNIGHT LOWS WL BE HIGHLY
DEPEND UPON CLOUDS/WINDS AND PRECIP...BUT GENERALLY BLW ZERO WITH
SOME READINGS NEAR -20F POSSIBLE ON SAT MORNING...ESPECIALLY
NEK/SLK.

NEXT FULL LATITUDE TROF WITH DEVELOPING SFC LOW PRES WL IMPACT CWA
ON MONDAY. SYSTEM LOOKS TO HAVE PLENTY OF MOISTURE AND STRONG
DYNAMICS TO WORK WITH...SO STAY TUNED. TEMPS WL MODIFY TO NEAR
NORMAL BY EARLY NEXT WEEK...BUT ANOTHER SHOT OF COLD AIR ARRIVES
BY MID WEEK.

Must be a pretty solid base on the trails up there now

It is, I am riding weds, The county is mint, Flat and fast, Some clubs are still brushing back and removing downed trees from the ice storm, I was waiting for a little more snow before i go out, Like to try to stay on the seat instead of a trip over the handlebars when you hit unforeseen objects that get hidden but not buried, Much easier on the A-arms.......... :)

Perhaps an accurate "recent" memory.  Looking at six I-95 locations, NYC,PVD,BOS,PWM,BGR,HUL, their avg annual snowfalls differ by more than 2X.  However, their record snowfalls are much closer, and even more surprising (to me) is that their respective 15th largest would all be between 16.5" and 17.5" were it not for PVD at 12.2".  The "recent" is because the 3 southerly cities have 5,4,5 respectively of their top 15 occurring since 2000, while the 3 northerly each have but one of their 15 during that time.

(All this assumes that my records are accurate, but even with some glitches, th SNE points have had more of their biggest in recent years than NNE.)

Edit:  Found three errors already:  In SNE, PVD has 5 of 15 in 2000 or later, BOS 6 of 15.   PWM is now 2 of 15, and only 3 since 1979.  The other three locations appear to be correct.

Perhaps an accurate "recent" memory.  Looking at six I-95 locations, NYC,PVD,BOS,PWM,BGR,HUL, their avg annual snowfalls differ by more than 2X.  However, their record snowfalls are much closer, and even more surprising (to me) is that their respective 15th largest would all be between 16.5" and 17.5" were it not for PVD at 12.2".  The "recent" is because the 3 southerly cities have 5,4,5 respectively of their top 15 occurring since 2000, while the 3 northerly each have but one of their 15 during that time.

(All this assumes that my records are accurate, but even with some glitches, th SNE points have had more of their biggest in recent years than NNE.)

They tend to do better in SNE in Miller A setups, I prefer the B's here

They tend to do better in SNE in Miller A setups, I prefer the B's here

See I always thought otherwise... I'm not a big fan of Miller B's, usually too far east.  Miller A's coming out of the Gulf of Mexico like March 1993 have a much better chance of moving up the coast line on a negative tilt which brings precip back into the deeper interior areas. 

Edit:  Found three errors already:  In SNE, PVD has 5 of 15 in 2000 or later, BOS 6 of 15.   PWM is now 2 of 15, and only 3 since 1979.  The other three locations appear to be correct.

Check this out... BTV has had 50% of its top 16 snowstorms (8) since 2000.  That to me is incredible for a place with a 130 year data set (since 1882).   I mean I'm not even sure how to explain this because statistically that has to be incredibly hard to do... that many years of records and have 8 out of the top 16 snowfalls to occur since 2000.  The year of 2003 had 3 top 15 storms itself!

Archived