• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2013-14 Part I

klw

Even where it was salted is now frozen here. I wouldn't recommend any travel this evening in the CPV.

Indeed, eyewall...I had planned to come into Williston to do some shopping this afternoon/evening, maybe get some dinner.  Thought better of it and I'm glad I postponed.

I'm surprised the Stowe base area station at elevation has plummeted this evening... nearly 20 degrees in 3-4 hours.  From a high of 51F and it is now 32.5F and the dew point has slipped to 31F.

attachicon.gifstowe.jpg

Same here, PF.  Wind shifted out of the north two hours ago and we dropped really fast.  Sitting at 32/32 right now.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like we are actually getting some sleet mixed with the freezing rain. That may save us from some heavier accrual.

Hey thanks eyewall, your update made me go take a look at what the precipitation is here, and indeed there’s sleet bounding around out there among the freezing rain.  I never thought I’d be so happy to see sleet!

Light ZR and 26 here. Overnight we had 0.57" LE, with ZR, IP, and even some fine-grained snow, which GYX thinks might be forming in the cold layer near the surface. Accretion is about 0.1", so unless we get a bomb of ZR later we should be okay. Radar is spotty at present with another slug upstream, for this afternoon. Even with that I'm guessing we remain under 1/2" ice.

Light ZR and 26 here. Overnight we had 0.57" LE, with ZR, IP, and even some fine-grained snow, which GYX thinks might be forming in the cold layer near the surface. Accretion is about 0.1", so unless we get a bomb of ZR later we should be okay. Radar is spotty at present with another slug upstream, for this afternoon. Even with that I'm guessing we remain under 1/2" ice.

I'm looking to remain below .50" ice accretion. Varying intensities of freezing drizzle with the occasional freezing rain shower will be the story here today.

Temp still dropping 29.3°F.

Well that's a decent layer of cold if the summit is a chilly 32F.

Yeah, it's a marginal column and I think that's why we didn't get the 1-2" of sleet the Valley for last night near BTV. BTV probably had the same depth, but it was in the 20s, allowing for refreeze prior to hitting ground. Up here it's a thick 30-32F type column...just not cold enough to refreeze the parcel.

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
AS OF 1012 AM EST SUNDAY...HAVE LOWERED MAX TEMPERATURES FOR
TODAY ACROSS THE REGION BASED ON LATEST SURFACE OBSERVATIONS. ONE
OF MY FORECAST CO-WORKERS NOTED GUSTY WINDS ACROSS THE SAINT
LAWRENCE VALLEY FROM MONTREAL TO MASSENA. THIS WILL HELP TO FUNNEL
COLDER AIR DOWN THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AS WELL AS THE SAINT LAWRENCE
VALLEY. AS NOTED ABOVE HAVE LOWERED MAX TEMPERATURES FOR
TODAY...BUT THESE MAY STILL BE A BIT TOO WARM. OTHERWISE...NO
MAJOR CHANGES TO THE CURRENT FORECAST.

Been hovering between 31° and 32° here since 8pm last night.  No ice accretion whatsoever that I can detect, however.  Looks like the ice accumulations/sleet made it as far east as Stowe/Waterbury but couldn't push the few extra miles east to my location.  Some snow loss but pack still soundly intact. 

No ice (or sleet), enough rain to completely clear the driveway and snowpack still solid...win/win/win...and lucky!

Archived