• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
November 26-28 Coastal Storm Discussion and Obs

DCAlexandria

Here's my guess, 1.5-2 inches of rain overnight (Tues-Wed) with temps creeping up to about 57 F by early Wed (DCA, 52 IAD) dense fog and possible thunderstorm, temps falling through the 40s in the morning in showery rain, then a sleety mix afternoon in strong northwesterly winds some accumulations on grassy surfaces to 2" nw suburbs. All moisture then gone by about 0300 Thursday, icy roads a problem well outside the I-95 corridor. A few local 4" snowfalls in noVA and c MD but rather patchy coverage. Basically a bit of everything.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18z gfs says we do it all again, more or less, in a week with the same result

That period is sneaky. Probably not much of a chance for us. Maybe we get lucky and overrun something with some cold air in place. 

The sw is pretty weak but it tracks just under us.Unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much of a cold air source to the N once the weekend lode moves out. 

At the very least it's worth paying attention to the period even if it's a longshot. 

That period is sneaky. Probably not much of a chance for us. Maybe we get lucky and overrun something with some cold air in place. 

The sw is pretty weak but it tracks just under us.Unfortunate that there doesn't seem to be much of a cold air source to the N once the weekend lode moves out. 

At the very least it's worth paying attention to the period even if it's a longshot. 

I'll say it for Matt.....NO BLOCKING!

I thought I saw i.75 to 2.00. Now all the models are in the 1.75 to 2.60 range. My guess is little over 2 as that's the euro ensemble mean.

Yeah probably. Looking on my phone and just referenced the big purple area. 2" seems about right as a general idea locally with higher bullseyes.

WWA for our rain storm.

Montgomery

Winter Weather Advisory in effect from 4AM EST TUE until 1PM EST TUE

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 1 PM EST TUESDAY

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW

SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN

WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 1 PM EST TUESDAY.

PRECIPITATION TYPE

PRECIPITATION WILL START AS A BRIEF PERIOD OF SNOW AND SLEET LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY TUESDAY THEN IS EXPECTED TO CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN BY MID MORNING TUESDAY AND CONTINUE AS FREEZING RAIN INTO EARLY TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

ACCUMULATIONS

UP TO AN INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET BY EARLY TUESDAY MORNING FOLLOWED BY AROUND A TENTH OF AN INCH OF FREEZING RAIN TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

TIMING

BEGINNING BETWEEN 4 AM AND 6 AM AND CONTINUING INTO EARLY AFTERNOON TUESDAY.

TEMPERATURES

IN THE UPPER 20S TONIGHT

MID 30S BY EARLY TUESDAY AFTERNOON.

WINDS NORTHEAST 5 MPH.

36/10 at DCA and really not getting any dew increase.  Becasue of the synoptics we will not get the 33% benefit between the dew and temp during onset but more like 20%. Even still that's 28/29 during precip so some frozen price is going to be paid.  Cold air behind storm is pressing already and I think the ultimate move of this is not going to be far enough west to pop our temps to 50+. Eastern shore may be a different matter. Anyway, nothing to cry about with the cold surge and now storm and it's not even quite Thanksgiving. 

18z gfs says we do it all again, more or less, in a week with the same result

Mitch you're right but there are a few differences. One is that the SLP is off the coast instead of inland and from hour 174 to 192 we are impacted by the storm since it only moves from the mid NC coast to New England. A total of 18 hours. Not exactly a fast mover (as it stands now). All we need is for the cold air to appear and be on our doorstep, not to much to ask. lol. But it bears watching. That period looked good a few days ago. Whose to say it can't come back around?

Mitch you're right but there are a few differences. One is that the SLP is off the coast instead of inland and from hour 174 to 192 we are impacted by the storm since it only moves from the mid NC coast to New England. A total of 18 hours. Not exactly a fast mover (as it stands now). All we need is for the cold air to appear and be on our doorstep, not to much to ask. lol. But it bears watching. That period looked good a few days ago. Who's to say it can't come back around?

Deb will.

Looking better

Location Min Likely Max 0" T-1" 1-2" 2-4" 4-8" 8-12" 12-18" >18"

Aldie, VA 0 0-1 2 22% 56% 16% 6% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Ashburn, VA 0 0-1 2 28% 50% 16% 6% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Dulles Airport (IAD), VA 0 0-1 2 42% 39% 15% 4% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Leesburg, VA 0 0-1 2 21% 51% 20% 8% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Purcellville, VA 0 0-1 2 17% 46% 27% 10% 0% 0% 0% 0%

Archived