wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
November 26-28 Coastal Storm Discussion and Obs

DCAlexandria

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting if this all pans out up here. FCPS Elementary and Middle schools are on conference schedule today and tomorrow. Today was a 4 hr. late start and tomorrow is a 3.5 hr. early dismissal. If the weather conditions create any slick roads up here, which is a definite possibility with some of the bus runs on the mountain roads, the system has already informed us that they will close as a 2 hr. late start will not make sense since kids are out by noon for afternoon conferences. Also conferences will be canceled and rescheduled. 

Is the track of the SLP as depicted on the models sort of unusual? I mean don't they either cut a lot more or at least ride the coast?

Based on what I see on the GFS, this SLP track actually isn't a very good one for I-95... too far inland.  If this were January, it would be more of a wintry mix I-95 with all snow west of the blue ridge.  That said, it's November and there isn't as much of a cold air mass to push the SLP track just off the coast.  

hard to say how much falls with 850s below in most of the heavier zone.  i guess even half would be decent for watching purposes. 

The 18Z sfc temp on the regualar version is 36.5F at DCA at that time and there also is a warm layer at 800mb so I'm not sure how the hi res version does compared to it for temps.  You'd think better but without a sounding it's hard to know whether we'd even be getting snow at that time of not. 

The 18Z sfc temp on the regualar version is 36.5F at DCA at that time and there also is a warm layer at 800mb so I'm not sure how the hi res version does compared to it for temps.  You'd think better but without a sounding it's hard to know whether we'd even be getting snow at that time of not. 

looks pretty similar at the sfc.. maybe 33-36 most of the area at 18z.  actually warms at 21z maybe because precip ends. 

This is hour 48 on the nam for DCA. precip still going ok but the sounding is rain. Hr 51 is a snow sounding but not much left around. So somewhere in between 18z-21z is snow. Ending with mood flakes is still a fair call. 

ETA: sounding above is hr 51. This is hr 48:

Archived