• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid November Pretend Snowstorm

Wonderdog

12Z had some showing the storm when the OP wasn't so hopefully more jump on board now. 

Yes.

12Z had 4 members with 8+ inches for DCA (4/50).  Some were very close though.  I agree with you.  When you get an "unperturbed" run giving you that much snow...you have to wonder what some of the ensembles are gonna show... 

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00Z EC Ensemble data...12 of the 50 members give DCA at least 4 inches, while 7 give at least 8 inches, 3 give 12+ inches.  Again, DCA only, as there are a bunch of near misses N-NW-W and even SW.  

At some point I would love for anyone with knowledge to explain in somewhat technical terms the reasons why this storm may happen.  I already know a lot of the reasons why it won't: climo, unfavorable set ups, etc. But why the nodels think it could happen is interesting to me. 

At some point I would love for anyone with knowledge to explain in somewhat technical terms the reasons why this storm may happen.  I already know a lot of the reasons why it won't: climo, unfavorable set ups, etc. But why the nodels think it could happen is interesting to me. 

We have a transient 50/50, little ridge out west. The storm forms on a stalled cold front I believe, I think in response to that deep trough in the Pacific....i'm no met. though. 

Quirky stuff can happen this time of year with short wavelengths and the flow all screwy. In this case you have some ridging out in the Rockies, although it is moving along. At the same time, there is a s/w targeted to dive south rather sharply. What allows this thing to develop is a ridge anomaly that moves across srn Canada and acts like a bootleg block to allow the storm to move slowly up the coast. The problem is that the overall flow is progressive so my enthusiasm would be tempered.

Quirky stuff can happen this time of year with short wavelengths and the flow all screwy. In this case you have some ridging out in the Rockies, although it is moving along. At the same time, there is a s/w targeted to dive south rather sharply. What allows this thing to develop is a ridge anomaly that moves across srn Canada and acts like a bootleg block to allow the storm to move slowly up the coast. The problem is that the overall flow is progressive so my enthusiasm would be tempered.

Thanks, Scott.  I looked at the 6z after my post and it kinda showed why the models have the storm.  Cut-off well off the WC popping a brief west ridge and allowing that s/w to round just to our south. 

Morning wood.....   Is what I will need to get from the backyard and put on the fire if the power goes out....

Seriously, where did this come from?  Connection to the 'record' Aleutian high, I assume?  So if that doesn't prove as strong, does this also go away?

6z gfs should make all of the boring "realistic" people happy :)

I think the s/w cutting so far south that we miss anything on the NORTH end is one of the least likely scenarios, IMO.  Far more likely this s/w goes over us or to the north of us given this pattern.  

I think the s/w cutting so far south that we miss anything on the NORTH end is one of the least likely scenarios, IMO.  Far more likely this s/w goes over us or to the north of us given this pattern.  

Agree. Can we save it as "famous last words"? 

NWS Blacksburg even FB the 6z GFS snow map. :)

Part of me doesn't want to believe the temps can do it for us low elevation dwellers but that is one impressive hp dropping down into the center of the country and near perfect interaction with the developing low to drag what appears to be an airmass that can produce snow. 

Looks like DCA will get it's first freeze in the wake of the departing low regardless of whether it snows or not. 

It's hard to overlook the WD index as well. 

Part of me doesn't want to believe the temps can do it for us low elevation dwellers but that is one impressive hp dropping down into the center of the country and near perfect interaction with the developing low to drag what appears to be an airmass that can produce snow. 

Looks like DCA will get it's first freeze in the wake of the departing low regardless of whether it snows or not. 

I agree WD index is getting up there... :whistle: lol

post-959-0-95797800-1383832094_thumb.jpg

The high pressure is super critical here for a few reasons... Sets up a sharp baroclinic zone as well. It's seemed overdone but it keeps showing up.,

Archived