joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid November Pretend Snowstorm

Wonderdog

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this situation, its possible the frontal snows occur here, and I do doubt in such a progressive flow the s/w at h5 would go to the SE that much. So all things considered, I suppose the frontal snows are possible in our area... its really just too early to call and a burden to even speculate. 

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Moisture will ride a boundary. Should be some enhanced lift "somewhere" along it. IF this is how it's going to go down, our only chance is to be on the northern edge with some enhanced lift. 

The 132 h7 panel shows some nearby. We have a long way to go. Like all events, this one is nailbiter with greater odds of things going wrong than right. 

Exactly.  Basically a clipper where the mts would see better results than us.

I think the Mountains will do pretty well (by our standards) in just about any of these scenarios.  Good time to go up to jonjon's or Deep Creek if one's able.  

In this situation, its possible the frontal snows occur here, and I do doubt in such a progressive flow the s/w at h5 would go to the SE that much. So all things considered, I suppose the frontal snows are possible in our area... its really just too early to call and a burden to even speculate. 

From the type of scenario the 12z GFS shows (but shifted more over our area, which I think is more probable given the situation), I think conversational snow in many spots with some light accums in colder locations is possible.  The model snow maps are always fun, but are even less realistic in November than they are in DJF. 

I think the Mountains will do pretty well (by our standards) in just about any of these scenarios.  Good time to go up to jonjon's or Deep Creek if one's able.  

If the storm happens on Wednesday, I may seriously consider that (or Seven Springs) since I am free that day.

call me silly, but I just don't see NC or S-VA getting accumulating snows this time of year

if this system does bring snow, it will be further north than GFS depicted at 12z

or no one around here will.. but that might be silly too. :P

a storm getting squashed south and trying to develop leaving a band of higher qpf seems reasonable tho. 

you know one thing these days--a storm will either hit SE VA or Boston or both while missing us.  

or no one around here will.. but that might be silly too. :P

a storm getting squashed south and trying to develop leaving a band of higher qpf seems reasonable tho. 

you know one thing these days--a storm will either hit SE VA or Boston or both while missing us.  

well, I did say "this time of year"

I think climo rules....what's the record first date of areas getting substantial measurable snow where the GFS depicts?

idk, but I'm betting the 12z GFS snow map date is well before those dates

well, I did say "this time of year"

I think climo rules....what's the record first date of areas getting substantial measurable snow where the GFS depicts?

idk, but I'm betting the 12z GFS snow map date is well before those dates

Most areas near and west of the Blue Ridge Parkway 10-10 (79)

RIC is 11-6 (53?) and ORK is 11-29 (81)

Most areas near and west of the Blue Ridge Parkway 10-10 (79)

RIC is 11-6 (53?) and ORK is 11-29 (81)

When there is such an anomalous event, I'm not sure the clouds read climo or care about 100 miles either direction.  I favor the more northern track, but can see a path for the GFS type event.  

how did your area fair in 1979? LYH had 2.4 inches. 

12z GGEM has a reasonable solution, IMO, and one that's probably our best chance at something legit.  Flatter and faster than last night's Euro, but farther north than the GFS.  Vortmax passes just south of us or maybe right over us (hard to tell exactly).  Precip falls at night.  

12z UKIE looks a bit better than the 12z GFS regarding SLP placement off the east coast -- http://meteocentre.com/models/ukmet_amer_12/GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

h5 heights are in the mid 530s, which is decent correct if we want to see snow?  Or do h5 heights not matter as much?  Cant see the vort (stops at 72) unless others have it

When there is such an anomalous event, I'm not sure the clouds read climo or care about 100 miles either direction.  I favor the more northern track, but can see a path for the GFS type event.  

how did your area fair in 1979? LYH had 2.4 inches. 

Varied by elevation, 4-5 inches in Covington itself where I lived, out in counties (Alleghany and Bath) 10-12 fell.

I remember well the 'shotgun' sounds as hundreds of trees got snapped/pulled down by the heavy

snow. Friend I currently work with was working on the Pumped Storage Project for Vepco at the time

he said he was trapped by downed trees trying to get home, watched as a large tree went right through

the middle of an abandoned car several in front of him! He said 12-16 inches fell up there that night/morning.

Of course, that is near 3000 foot elevation too.

I've seen 'reports' of 10 inches for Covington, but I'd say that was for a 'county' area, not city itself.

Archived