• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid November Pretend Snowstorm

Wonderdog

Social media is generally unbearable, which is why I foreswore pretty much all of it a couple years ago.  My wife is our "social media (Facebook) manager" and I'll check Tweeter for soccer news and such.  That's about it.

The fact that both the Euro and GFS have this storm on the horizon right now is pretty amazing, no matter how it all pans out.  I don't think that anyone except zwyts is expecting 15" of snow, so just seeing a winter weather threat for us on those two within a week out is enough reason to have fun with it.

:huh:

I haven't posted about this storm at all or shared my thoughts anywhere

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see the primary difference on the back side of the trough @ h5 compared to 0z. 0z has a negative tilt on the backside as the energy is digging. Without it the front of the trough doesn't have the amplification to wrap it up and close it off in time. 

It can still snow like this though but will be awfully tough to get below freezing at the surface. I brought this up earlier. Won't be heavy rates and dynamics. Just lift along the baroclinic zone. 

You can see the primary difference on the back side of the trough @ h5 compared to 0z. 0z has a negative tilt on the backside as the energy is digging. Without it the front of the trough doesn't have the amplification to wrap it up and close it off in time.

It can still snow like this though but will be awfully tough to get below freezing at the surface. I brought this up earlier. Won't be heavy rates and dynamics. Just lift along the baroclinic zone.

Will be quite interesting to watch how the models handle this over the next few days. Model drama has returned for the season lol

yes.  flow is too fast with Atl allowing it to keep going.  

I think climo is probably more important the modeling at this range...(not that models are even very good in mid January from this range)

Half the days in November have <1" record snow for the day including 9 traces or less...

Will be quite interesting to watch how the models handle this over the next few days. Model drama has returned for the season lol

Big wild card is how the closed h5 low off the nw coast retrogrades. That's a big driver of pumping up the ridge over the rockies. Subtle changes in timing of that evolution has big affects down stream. Looking likely that energy will dive down in the middle of the country and a big fat cold hp on top of it. How much it digs and placement of features won't be known for days. LONG DAYS. lol

I think climo is probably more important the modeling at this range...(not that models are even very good in mid January from this range)

Half the days in November have <1" record snow for the day including 9 traces or less...

Absolutely.  As Ji pointed out on one of his FB posts.  You need an anomalous mass of cold air this time of year to even think about snow.  

I think a solution similar to this is most likely, IMO.  With the fast flow, a relatively weak wave makes sense.  I still think that if something like that occurs, I very much doubt the vortmax goes that far south of us that we're fringed on the north.  

I think a solution similar to this is most likely, IMO.  With the fast flow, a relatively weak wave makes sense.  I still think that if something like that occurs, I very much doubt the vortmax goes that far south of us that we're fringed on the north.  

So instead of a southern mover, it would pass us further north, but be chugging along too fast to drop any major accums?

In this situation, its possible the frontal snows occur here, and I do doubt in such a progressive flow the s/w at h5 would go to the SE that much. So all things considered, I suppose the frontal snows are possible in our area... its really just too early to call and a burden to even speculate. 

Archived