• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

Josh had a barometer with him, as did another chaser, who also intercepted the storm in Tocloban City. Like you, I'm also curious to hear the pressure readings.

At some point I'd have to think they switched into "stay alive" and "save the people on the first floor" mode... not sure how much data they got out of this one.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a quote from the UN Disaster Assessment Team about damage in the city. Sebastian Rhodes Stampa, head of the UNDAC team reported this morning that there is an unprecedented level of destruction. “The last time I saw something of this scale was in the aftermath of the Indian Ocean Tsunami,” according to Rhodes Stampa. “This is destruction on a massive scale. There are cars thrown like tumble weed and the streets are strewn with debris.”

i just hope they won't forget the people back there... i assume they're all well off if they can fly halfway around the world in a moments notice so it would be really nice if they can help out financially...:) i'm watching the live stream news (Tagalog) and it's just so heartbreaking i can't imagine what josh and co. are feeling right now...

It amazes me how densely packed those shanties are right on the water there in Tacloban.

Looking at that pic, one has to wonder how any of those "shanties" were left standing. Looks as though a category two TC would completely demolish them. Definitely, not the best place to be in a severe Typhoon.

Here are a few pictures of what these shanties look like at ground level for those who made be interested.These pictures were taken along the coast here in Davao.

post-1075-0-47095800-1383993100_thumb.jp    post-1075-0-08170000-1383993133_thumb.jp    post-1075-0-78929500-1383993241_thumb.jp

He just posted video on his Facebook page and wrote no one died in his hotel. He helped save lives. It may have been a blessing for those people stranded with josh and crew to have experienced chasers with them and help rescue them during the storm. If there was any doubt in people's minds it was a good thing they were there go watch that video on the Facebook page. It brought tears to my eyes.

He just posted video on his Facebook page and wrote no one died in his hotel. He helped save lives. It may have been a blessing for those people stranded with josh and crew to have experienced chasers with them and help rescue them during the storm. If there was any doubt in people's minds it was a good thing they were there go watch that video on the Facebook page. It brought tears to my eyes.

Very well said and this is way I view the matter. Facts are that a C-130 cannot rescue the entire population of a city. Foreign powers will favor rescuing their own nationals first. At the end of day massive relief assistance will arrive and it will the USA leading the way, just as it was with the 2004 Tsunami. Josh and team appear to have done a great service for science, weatherweenies, and the people at that hotel.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/43318-eastern-samar-casualty-typhoon-Yolanda

First report I see out of Eastern Samar. Note that Hernani didn't get the eyewall, it stayed about 10 miles to the south of them. Am guessing there are saying "most of the fatalities" in the province are from there simply because the other areas are still inaccessible.

Glad they are safe. Speaking first hand from someone that has 'preached' safety first to Josh above all else over the years, it was a wise decision to move inland away from the coast. These guys have a passion that most will never experience and that passion has been driven for data that we would not have otherwise had. Josh relays his data to the official meteorological authorities and has spent years developing relationships with the NHC and others to provide good and factual data that has and will be used for reanalysis. I expected nothing less from these guys as they dropped their scientific data gathering and rendered aid to those that were in dire need.

Archived